Catalan Independence? Democracy dies in Spain.

Student today who has two young boys said that what he really wants is for his boys to grow up without conflict around them.
Amen to that.
Forgive my cynicism, but I suspect that his children's last, best hope of seeing that is to start preparing to live in something like this

A self-contained enclave five miles long, located in neutral territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter of a million humans. A shining beacon in space . . . all alone in the night.

Or this

And, even then, I'll put money on the human tendency to fight over nothing making even that an outside chance.

It was the dawn of the Third Age of Europe – the year the Great War came upon us all. Again.

Within a few weeks they'll be more skint and no one will be able to go on the dole, so let them have at it!
It's not as if the Catalan market will cease to exist. People will still need to buy goods and services and there will always be those who are willing to supply; first among them will be the banks and other businesses who moved HQ elsewhere simply to stay in the EU. The economy will drop a gear or two as it restructures and adapts to the new circumstances but it will pick up again.

How do you say "ya gotta crack a few eggs to make an omellette" in Catalan?

It's not as if the Catalan market will cease to exist. People will still need to buy goods and services and there will always be those who are willing to supply; first among them will be the banks and other businesses who moved HQ elsewhere simply to stay in the EU. The economy will drop a gear or two as it restructures and adapts to the new circumstances but it will pick up again.

Not too dissimilar from the Irish Free State in 1922, Though the parallel isn't by any means a straight map-across. Eire seemingly reverted to a largely agrarian economy (Catalonia will have tourism) and took probably 2 generations to return to it's pre-independence economic status, but would those living in the Republic today say that the decision (and the pain) was the wrong decision: I doubt it.

Except that Spain as a whole will suffer, not just the Catalans.
For a country that has come so far in just under 40 years this is a disaster. A Brit historian reckons Spain jumped from the 19th century, skipped one and joined the 21st century.
Now more companies have registered their offices from Barcelona to other parts of Spain is something we have already discussed. Caixa bank (moved to Mallorca) , Sabadell (moved to Alicante) and now Banco Mediolanum to Valencia, Criteria Caixa to Madrid and Arquia bank to Madrid.
I can't see anything good coming out of this, unfortunately, especially as the senate will have no choice but to declare central rule with the blessing of both the PP and the PSOE if independence is declared.
The Catalan parliament will see masses of resignations no matter which way the vote goes.
Agreed and avoidable.

'S'ha de trancar unes ous per fer la truita.'
But it doesn't quite sound the same.

Listening to the Catalan Parliament, it's going all the way.

The opposition have walked out, PP leader came back shouting insults and threats just now. mind eben Madrid reckon he's an idiot.

I support Independence but it shouldn't have had to happen this way.

It's easy to declare a republic, more difficult to hold onto it.

I may not be on net for a wee bit. The RNF motto seems really appropriate here and now.
Quo fata vocant.

Well, the Catalan parliament have been at it all morning. The CUP (the real lefties) and the other opposition party have voted for a secret ballot to be held.
Looks like votes are now being handed in to the lot sitting on the main bench.

Just listening to the BBC and they are reporting that people are starting to gather outside public buildings. Will be interesting to see which law enforcement agency is initially deployed to police this. One hasty move or inappropriate escalation and it could go decidedly pear-shaped.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Joking aside, if Spain reacts badly to this I don't think its beyond the realms of possibility that some heavy weight law enforcement/army is deployed across the region.
If only I hadn't flogged my stuff on eBay years ago. 'Genuine SAS/PARA RLC beret'

And, of course, they've tipped the Spanish senate's hand and they've voted to put Article 155 in place.
This does not dissolve the Catalan parliament but does remove Puigdemont and his cabinet.
The Catalan police will come under the Guardia Civil.
Regional elections will be called within 6 months but as early as possible taking into account the Catalan ruling of a minimum of 54 days between calling the election and holding them.

Going for it:

The Telegraph:
27 October 2017 • 3:18pm

The Catalan parliament declared independence from Spain on Friday, even as Madrid's senate passed a motion to place the region under direct role, plunging the divided country into political turmoil.

The vote in Barcelona was a secret ballot backed 70-10 and boycotted by opposition MPs. Secessionists hold a slim majority in the parliament.

Edited to add, there will be tears before tea time.

Going for it:

The Telegraph:
27 October 2017 • 3:18pm

The Catalan parliament declared independence from Spain on Friday, even as Madrid's senate passed a motion to place the region under direct role, plunging the divided country into political turmoil.

The vote in Barcelona was a secret ballot backed 70-10 and boycotted by opposition MPs. Secessionists hold a slim majority in the parliament.

Edited to add, there will be tears before tea time.
How many opposition MPs boycotted the vote then?

Latest Threads