CATAC booked on in Feb07 advice needed please

Discussion in 'Officers' started by WessexMortarman, Dec 8, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, I'm TA Inf, recently back from Herrick and booked on CATAC next year.

I hear that it is now a combined 2 week course for Regular and TA officers, but that the Regulars can also do a 3 week pre-training course.

I would like to prepare myself for the course in terms of pre-reading, fitness and practice(estimate, orders etc).

Has anyone been on the combined course?

What should I do in terms of pre-training?

Can you point me towards any other relevant sources of information?

Thanks, WM.

2. I taught on a recent CATAC cse. not much you need to do by way of prep really, its death by P/P. Get your head into the all arms aspect of MK1 if you can, massively tedious though.

3. Did it in July. Would suggest getting to grip with the 7 Questions and gather an understanding of the All Arms Battle.

There was no 3 week pre course though.

4. For the....

1st week - know your Ops planning: and get totally au fait with the BG DSO matrix especially. Know the principles of attack, defence, armour, ATk, OS planning, all for the TEWTS; know the basics of reserve dem, relief in place, withdrawal etc, all for the classroom powerpoint discussions.

2nd week: Not forgetting any of the aboveGet your TAMS sorted out, and ensure you know your drills and task orgs (including your own variations) for various ops and environments: especially coy quick attack, OBUA, FIWAF, BG deliberate attack.

Overall, enjoy, it's the last time in your career you'll get to command a platoon or a tank troop, a non-assessed command appointment that fills in a lot of time between assessed appointments such as coy OC, BG Ops etc.