Cat N Write off - what`s it mean

I have a 09 plate car 80K on the clock and ok with no issues

Last weekend the car was dinked in the car park by some idiot trying to manoeuvre in to the empty car space beside my car, saw the incident as I was walking back to my car

Reported to RAC insurance who arranged a hire car and a local repair company who both phoned me first time Monday morning

However the claims management company acting for RAC have written off the car as not economical viable, I was a bit miffed that they had done this. anyway the latest is that the pre accident value is £1600 , being a value of £1472 and salvage £128

As the damage is very cosmetic, two small shallow dents and some surface scratches, I have asked about retaining the car in which case I will receive £1472 with the £128 being my purchase of the salvage.

They told me that the car is now a Category N and advised that I contact the insurers to confirm that there will be no implications re insuring the car

Anyone been though this scenario, regarding Cat N

Pissed off that some claim assessor has written of a serviceable car with superficial damage to the bodywork - offside rear

Archie

RBMK

War Hero
Cat N = Non-structural damage i.e. cost of repair is more than the car is worth. Cosmetic damage.

Buy it back and take it to a local body shop. Fix with S/H parts as it's non-structural.

Cat S = structural damage e.g. chassis components, safety cage etc.

It looks like if you’re a bit handy with body repairs or aren’t bothered by a few dinks you could get some decent motors for next to nothing.

Cat N = Non-structural damage i.e. cost of repair is more than the car is worth. Cosmetic damage.

Buy it back and take it to a local body shop. Fix with S/H parts as it's non-structural.

Cat S = structural damage e.g. chassis components, safety cage etc.
Thanks that`s what I intend to do - a Tube of T Cut will get most of the damage sorted

Archie

Your quids in , get it fixed pocket the difference .

It makes no difference to your insurance quote.

RBMK

War Hero
Insurance repairers will always use OEM parts and repair the vehicle to "as new" condition.

I bent a wing on the Disco 2. An insurance repair would have been more than the price of the car. A S/H wing in the same colour cost me £100 plus a but of time for touching up etc. Ran the car for another 2 years.

Happens quite a bit in the car OC club I'm a member of. We have hundreds of cars over 20 years old.
The one bit of key advice given frequently is don't take any jobsworth crap off the insurance company, and the vehicle is in your charge and that of no other party.

Diogenes' limp

Old-Salt
Cat N on a car of that age has no real effect on its 2nd(!) hand value either. The longer you run it thereafter, the less significant it becomes.
Especially as already said, it signifies no damage to the structure.
Suggest that you take pre and post repair photos of the damage and keep them in the car file (1) in case you suddenly decide to get rid,.

1 - (the document trial that is, not the half inch round bastard file someone nicked from the Tiffy box and you use to remove the stamped in VIN - not that one.

Latest Threads