Cat 4 - own fault - where from here

Discussion in 'Staff College and Staff Officers' started by Suffolk, Mar 21, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am here for any help and adivice and fully expect to get ripped apart.

I recieved a Cat 4 at Westbury. I was awfull, failled to prepare, and the cat was spot on for my performance. I realise where I went wrong (I was shit ) , and due to age (28) direct application is impossible.
    Nothing to appeal, they can only grade what I show them.

Could anyone please tell me if what the age limit is entering from the ranks. I also acknowledge that I would have to be an exceptional soldier to be considered for this.

I am also looking at joining the Medical or Intelligence core as a Combat technician or intelligence operative. If there are any currenley serving in these proffesions on-line any tips and inside knowledge would be greatley appreciatted.

Apologises for all the spelling mistakes and the long winded question. Any help . piss taking and answers gratefully recieved.

Cheers :? :?

2. Thanks for the reply. Point taken about the poor forum selection.
    Pissing in the wind at 28 , true. I'd like to think it's a wah question too,
    Cheers

3. ;
    Have you definitely been told not to re-apply for AOSB? Phone them and clarify this.

If not there have been applicants in their late 20's going for it, I know of an ex teacher who is a 30 year old Troop Commander.

Some trades will accept direct entry until the age of 32, ask your local AFCO.

I think the RAF Officer route accepts 'late-comers', until the age of 36 in some cases. Check their website.

4. Thankyou for replying. I have not heard anything since the verbal awarding of the catergory. No other correspondence has arrived. It has only been 4 days. I will leave it until a wk has passed and then contact the Army.

The RAF is a good suggestion, I am not sure if they would offer the wide range of roles and career oppurtunities that the Army offers.

Thankyou for the advice.

5. Suffolk,

Welcome to the site and I am sorry that you did not get along too well at Westbury.

I believe you questioned whether you could apply for a commission from the ranks. The answer is "yes" but, as you are already 28, time will be against you.

IIRC applying for a commission from the ranks means attending AOSB, which you have just done. So, that will be out.

You are then left with the Late Entry (LE) Commission for which, in most Corps, you have to be a Warrant Officer; generally 35-45 years old and with at least 15 years of service under your belt.

Now, if you reckon you are good enough....

But look at the statistics; most soldiers serve between 4 and 9 years. Very few soldiers reach Warrant Officer and even fewer are commissioned. Out of 30 soldiers in my basic platoon, only 2 reached 22 years and only one reached Warrant Officer!

By all means join the Army, and as long as you are fit, 28 is as good an age as any, but don't harbour an ambition which might be unachievable, especially if you are unable to manage your 6 Ps! You'll have a very good career, and if you are good enough, you will be commissioned in due course (officer speak for "promote this man only if you are very desperate...." :twisted: ).

Litotes

6. Thankyou for the reply.

So it is not common , difficult but still possible. I agree that it is best to be realistic and grounded and appreciate the advice. I will think about it , evaluate my options. If I follow this route I would first concentrate on being the best soldier I could be, and takr it step by step. I have a lot of thinking to do.

Cheers for the advice.