Cat 1 @ Pre-RCB. Pop the Champagne or cool the jets?

Discussion in 'Officers' started by arse-eye, Jun 28, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. "A mate of mine" got an unreserved Cat 1 at the RCB briefing. Not even any "Brush up on this" or "Practice that". Just come back ASAP.

Is it time to get excited and break out the bubbly, or is there still a huge chance of not getting through?

Just wondered. :D

2. Still plenty of time to feck up. Overconfidence is always a good way of piling in on take off.

3. Do not commit RCB-suicide by going along to the full board, thinking "I got a Cat 1, therefore this is going to be a breeze."
    Your group will pick up on it and think you're an arse, and your group leader will probably also note it, and take a very dim view of it.
    Still, congratulate this "mate of yours" on his Cat 1, but tell him not to get complacent. :)

4. It gaurentees f*ck all. I got a cat 1 and still failed the main board, probably wasnt helped by the fact that some nobber who was there for the 2nd time wouldnt let anybody else get a word in. Dont fall into that trap go there, tell them what you think and they do the rest.

5. I got the same, but have been warned by my careers advisor that complacency could become my biggest weakness. With nothing to brush-up on you are - apparantly - under more scrutiny to check that you aren't conceited and/or complacent.

mr angry - out of interest - what did your Briefing report say, and have you any idea why you failed?

I've got Main Board in 5 weeks.

PO18

6. I'd err on the side of caution and wait for the brown envelope to hit the mat post RCB! Then, go nap, quit the job and go travelling!

7. Mr. A,
    Did said nobber pass?

8. Personaly I would be pleased that RCB believes that I am ready to come before them.

But thats all it is. You are worthy to show your face sooner rather than later.

9. That happened to a mate of mine too, got a cat 1 then failed the main board. Says brief told him he was good to go and then when he failed the report said he was unable to inspire confidence in others.

10. Read somewhere that Prince Harry got a cat 1 - Funny that :roll:

11. At least he's taking the fecking test!

The DS when I was at Sandhurst swore blind that a few individuals were getting shoved onto the course without the benefit of RCB. One of them was a bloke in my platoon, an Irish guy with a PhD who was joining the RAEC (as was). He lasted less than a week and appeared to have no determination, military skills, leadership potential or, indeed, physical coordination, whatsoever. According to the pl CSgt, he was given the chance to go to RMAS because so many people had dropped out before the start of the course and they needed to make up numbers. I doubted the story but the CSgt stuck to it.

12. As I understand it a Cat 1 means you've reached the baseline from which you will be assessed - easier to do if everyone at RCB has reached the same standard. Biggest thing nowadys appears to be the fiz passing in test on day one - fail and you're back on the bus, blow the obstacle course and that's a real show stopper as well. It also helps if you're being well looked after so be yourself and give it heaps, she'll be alright.

13. Thought I would give what I know for what its worth. A cat 1 really only means that you are ready for the board, as all the other grades either dismiss you, indicate you wont pass or say that you need time. Therefore obviously celebrate a cat 1 as it means you have done as well as you can, but dont for a moment think you have passed the main board. As for what the board are looking for, who knows? Spend the time you have on brushing up on general army knowledge and reading up on current affairs, rather than trying to guess what they are looking for. Everyone says it, but be yourself! Three days is too long to keep up an act. As for tips, dont try to take command when it isnt your turn, but do offer ideas. Try to be the first to speak in the group discussion, as that is the easiest time to make comment and removes the pressure of trying to butt in later when the topic has moved on. Dont say anything too controversial either, and remember not to get really pis@ed at the dinner!!!
    Good luck and I hope it all goes well.

14. Got back from briefing last night! It seemed that if you passed the computer tests, and has good enough fitness then you generally got cat 1. There were lots of cat 1’s who seemed to have bugger all military knowledge and had only been looking at headlines and not much deeper. There were people who seemed to be very strong applicants who got cat 4’s, and some got cat 3 as a pass but couldn’t book for another 6 months were they have to redo tests! Generally was quite impressed by the whole thing, RCB looks very comprehensive.

As for me I one-step closer to sandbags and looking forwards to main board!

15. Got back from briefing last night! It seemed that if you passed the computer tests, and has good enough fitness then you generally got cat 1. There were lots of cat 1’s who seemed to have bugger all military knowledge and had only been looking at headlines and not much deeper. There were people who seemed to be very strong applicants who got cat 4’s, and some got cat 3 as a pass but couldn’t book for another 6 months were they have to redo tests! Generally was quite impressed by the whole thing, RCB looks very comprehensive.

As for me I'm one-step closer to sandbags and looking forwards to main board!