Cat 1 pass + Medical appeal

Discussion in 'Officers' started by Ray Sterling, Sep 14, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm just back from my AOSB, where I was walking on clouds because I got a category 1 pass. I'm now in the dumps because I got a medical rejection in the post today. The reason is an episode of self-harm that I did when I was young and dumb, 11 years ago. Since they specify that it's not grounds for rejection if three years have past since the incident and I've been clear, and eleven bloody years have passed and I've been clear, I am appealing this.

Eleven years is a very long time. Does anyone have any advice on how often this works, or advice on how to go about the appeal?
  2. Hi ray,

before you put in an appeal, i would personally recommend that you get a professional to do an evaulation on yourself, about your current state of mind. Once you have this i would also consider explaining the reasoning behind your self harming. i nearly got blocks because i caught my arms on boxs and looked like self harming.

Once this is all together i would write & phone the senior medical officer. this way, they cant argue with someone who is professional trained in this area thus gaining access.

(that is if they have common sense)
  3. Eleven years is a long time. However there are certain instances of self harm that can lead to permanent exclusion. I believe that the rules only allow for one episode of self harm. They also differentiate between causes with depression and self harm linked to stressors being a cause for rejection.

Without knowing more, and being a medical professional it is hard to give advice. You need to return to your career office or sponsor and ask them the next step. I think a decision can be made by an Army psychiatrist.

Ultimately the army is looking for mentally robust individuals and will want to be absolutely sure about tbe reasons for your self harm and the chance of any relapse before committing to you. Remember they have a duty of care to both you, your fellow officers and most importantly any soldiers you have under your command.