Casualty List

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by wotan, Oct 1, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm sort of conflicted about the list of Canadian soldiers (and one diplomat) killed in the war in Afghanistan. It is presented by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation and can be found at http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/afghanistan/casualties/total.html

On the one hand, it strikes me as somewhat morbid. However, it seems to be done as tastefully as possible. Perhaps more importantly, it provides the general public in Canada an opportunity to see the men and women we have lost as real people. One could possibly see this as the virtual equivalent of a Roll Of Honour, but as opposed to a service number, rank and name engraved into a wall or monument, this allows people to truly see the soldiers. As well, the links allow folks to find out just how we lost these fine men and women.

Do other countries newspapers or Defence agencies have anything like this? Do various governments even allow this sort of thing?

As I say, I am conflicted about this list, but I believe that it may serve a greater good by educating the public. I just hope none of the bereaved families are caused any further grief or offence by it.

Thoughts?

2. I think it is a very good idea.

3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Our Govt try to conceal the fact that black is black let alone casualty figures.

4. The casualties that are sustained never seem to make any news at all, all kept very quiet

5. I think it would be a good idea to tell every child in school just what this shite government is wasting, it's best young people, in a hole like Afghanistan for reasons no one can realy justify

6. The public certainly should be made aware of the numbers of casualties. That way they can come to their own conclusions on the whole situation.

7. The bonest yhing of all, is that this is the FORTH time we have had our arrse kicked in Stan. Thought we would have cottened on by now.

8. The bonest thing of all, is that this is the FORTH time we have had our arrse kicked in Stan. Thought we would have cottened on by now.