Casualties on current operations. Statistical information

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by EX_STAB, Apr 16, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Are current figures available of casualties on Herrick and Telic, particularly as a percentage of the force deployed?

For each theatre of Ops I would think of something along the lines of:

Number killed per Tour (or per month etc) against Numbers deployed.
    the same for:
    Number Seriously wounded
    Number Slightly wounded

Further break down to indicate numbers killed/wounded by war operations as opposed to road traffic accidents etc would be useful.

There is some information here:
    http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/FactSheets/OperationsFactsheets/OperationsInAfghanistanBritishFatalities.htm
    but I don't know how it can be related to numbers deployed.

The purpose of the research is to get an indication of how dangerous the role of the serving soldier on operations is at present compared to previous conflicts and to dangerous civilian occupations. I think it will also prove interesting to see how the casualty rate has changed over time.

Thanks for any help or pointers.

Ex STAB

2. Good question but I can't help you at the moment other than with anecdotal evidence.

:arrow: I read a while ago that the ratio of deaths to wounded was the lowest it has ever been; more wounded soldiers survive nowadays.

:arrow: The number of personnel killed and injured in RTAs world-wide is still much higher than those killed or wounded on ops in the same time-frame.

Litotes

3. I've now found this:
    http://www.mod.uk/NR/rdonlyres/C23C58D0-E574-4AA3-8BA3-464B6285DCF6/0/OpHerrickCasualtyTables.pdf
    Will have to study it later.

4. But is this as a percentage or totals?

5. A trawl of Hansard might give you the date you require - on prety well every roulement the SoS Def provides an indication of numbers in theatre.
    My hazy recollection (and please, someone, correct me) is that: TELIC 1 was about 45 k dropping to around 20k by TELIC 2, 15k by TELIC 3 and to around 10 k by TELIC 4. Subsequent TELIC's have stabilised at around 8 k. I'm sure a bit of googling will get you the proper data.

It is still the case that you are more likely to die from enemy action in Iraq than from an accident. That is contrary to received wisdom that accidents/RTAs are the biggest killers in war (not quite sure when that stemmed from?) To an extent, this is a good thing - ie we are not killing our people in unnecessary accidents.

Despite being a bit of a morbid-spotter, I don't know HERRICK data.

6. Have there been almost 200 RTA-related deaths since 2003?