Casually Violent?

This is taken from th Blackpool Armed Forces Week WebSite advertising a talk by the Author.

(I don't believe this violates persec because this info is a direct copy and paste from the above site and is also exactly as stated on the Amazon page for the book, however I am more than happy to remove the names or post)

Quote:

From the harsh realities of basic training to post-war chaos in Iraq and knife-edge tension in Northern Ireland, "Squaddie" takes us to a place not advertised in army recruitment brochures.

It exposes the grim reality of everyday soldiering for the 'grunts on the ground'. After the tragic death of his elder brother, and in the dark days following 9/11, McLaughlin felt compelled to fulfil his lifelong ambition to serve in the army. He followed his late brother into the elite Royal Green Jackets and passed the arduous Combat Infantryman's Course at the age of 31. Thereafter, McLaughlin found himself submerged in a world of casual violence.

"Squaddie" is a snapshot of infantry soldiering in the twenty-first century. It takes us into the heart of an ancient institution that is struggling to retain its tough traditions in a rapidly changing world. All of the fears and anxieties that the modern soldier carries as his burden are laid bare, as well as the occasional joys and triumphs that can make him feel like he is doing the best job in the world. This is an account of army life by someone who has been there and done it.

Light refreshments will be served

UnQuote

My question is: When did the Army start being casually Violent; Discuss

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
The casual violence, especially in the Elite Royal Greenjackets, was usually Wednesday afternoons, or on the 3rd riday of the month. Otherwise it was strictly formal violence. Unless one was on a posting somewhere warm and sunny, when formalities were relaxed.

I read the book the other month and didn't rate it at all. Squaddie does basic training at the upper age limit, deploys to Iraq, comes back - ENDEX.

Talking of casually violent, my old mucker in the regiment, let's call him John, epitomised the term 'casually violent'. He had eyes like a shark, devoid of all emotion or expression. You could be having a quiet pint with him and in mid-conversation he'd casually flick out a right hook and drop someone. He once, after leaving a boozer in Guildford, casually toe-punted a tramp in the grid rendering him unconcious before urinating on him. All this while maintaining a conversation and not missing a word.

Strange lad John. On leaving the army he went on to kill people for money in small, ugly wars around the world.

B_AND_T

MIA
Book Reviewer
FiveAlpha said:
I read the book the other month and didn't rate it at all. Squaddie does basic training at the upper age limit, deploys to Iraq, comes back - ENDEX.

Talking of casually violent, my old mucker in the regiment, let's call him John, epitomised the term 'casually violent'. He had eyes like a shark, devoid of all emotion or expression. You could be having a quiet pint with him and in mid-conversation he'd casually flick out a right hook and drop someone. He once, after leaving a boozer in Guildford, casually toe-punted a tramp in the grid rendering him unconcious before urinating on him. All this while maintaining a conversation and not missing a word.

Strange lad John. On leaving the army he went on to kill people for money in small, ugly wars around the world.
No he didn't! He worked for McDonalds.

B

Biscuits_AB

old_fat_and_hairy said:
The casual violence, especially in the Elite Royal Greenjackets, was usually Wednesday afternoons, or on the 3rd riday of the month. Otherwise it was strictly formal violence. Unless one was on a posting somewhere warm and sunny, when formalities were relaxed.
Particularly when demonstarting alternate uses for garden impliments to Scandinavian tourists, where 'planters order' was the acceptable dress code.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Biscuits_AB said:
old_fat_and_hairy said:
Particularly when demonstarting alternate uses for garden impliments to Scandinavian tourists, where 'planters order' was the acceptable dress code.
Look, Denmark was a battle honour on the badge! Just keeping up the traditions.

Father_Famine said:
From the harsh realities of basic training to post-war chaos in Iraq and knife-edge tension in Northern Ireland, "Squaddie" takes us to a place not advertised in army recruitment brochures.
Those civilian idiots whaling the sh!t out of each other on Saturday night in my local town centre aren't exactly practicing passive resistance.

Biscuits_AB said:
old_fat_and_hairy said:
Serves said tourists right for intruding into a Sovereign Base Area? Foreigners keep out.

Read the book 'Squaddie' recently and didn't rate it either, seemed that a guy with 3 years in was abit up his own arse and 'knowledgable' about all things military.

Even mentioned somewhere in the book that he was often consulted as a 'talking head' on military matters FFS

Don't bother reading it, you could probably write a better one yourself.

FWIW, Ed Maceys book on the Apache in the 'stan, is superb

B_AND_T said:
FiveAlpha said:
Put your tights right girly clerk.
Not today, it's a Wednesday so it's fishnets.
That's not a good image B_AND_T. :oops:

On the casual violence thing, 5A's mate "John" - there really are a few of them knocking about - there' something proper worrying about being around the ones who do the laid back psycho thing, without breaking off from the conversation.

This "passive resistance" you speak of TankiesYank - think you may have to draw pictures to assist understanding. :)

I found "Squaddie" to be a book of two halves, the first half about his history of wanting to join, the struggle to join & his experiences through basic training good, but the rest dire & self dillusional.

I like hearing peoples personal past, their struggle to attain something they really desire & a lot of his thoughts/feelings during basic struck a chord with me as similar to my own, so it engrossed me. Once it went on to Regimental life & the Iraq tour I quickly lost interest, the guy just seemed to go up his own arrse.

A former BSM 52 Bty (now LE Major) discovered "casual Violence" when pissed and attending the 1989 JNCO's mess Xmas Do. He went OTT, when bollocking a former professional boxer turned gunner (who I'll call `Kenny') in the QMSI's office, for being pissed while waiting-on.

Kenny told the BSM that in his opinion, the bollocking was fair enough, but there was no need to talk to him like he was a cnut and that if they'd been anywhere else, he'd have dropped him.

Upon telling Kenny to "crack on then" and "put up, or shut up", BSM 52 became intimate with the other side of the QMSI's desk.

Kenny was jailed for the night, but released early next morning to attend QEII MH Woolwich for a scheduled operation. It went to a DCM many months later and Kenny walked away with a hefty'ish fine, while BSM 52 got a 2 year promotion ban for being a knob.

I was just letching over the wife's shoulder as she used her facebook when she delivered a stunning blow to my wind-pipe =( said I was drooling.
Now that was casual and very violent 8O

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
old_fat_and_hairy said:
Has the dress code changed for casual violence? Or rather, is formal violence still requiring a suit, tie and wellington boots?
It's only casual if in jeans, white t-shirt and trainers. Formal violence is usual black-tie with steelies and wraparounds.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Biped said:
old_fat_and_hairy said:
Has the dress code changed for casual violence? Or rather, is formal violence still requiring a suit, tie and wellington boots?
It's only casual if in jeans, white t-shirt and trainers. Formal violence is usual black-tie with steelies and wraparounds.
Ah, thank you for that. Has changed somewhat since my day. Casual was boater, cravat and white flannel trousers. With white cricket boots, obviously.

Latest Threads