Casually Violent?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Father_Famine, Jun 10, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This is taken from th Blackpool Armed Forces Week WebSite advertising a talk by the Author.

(I don't believe this violates persec because this info is a direct copy and paste from the above site and is also exactly as stated on the Amazon page for the book, however I am more than happy to remove the names or post)

From the harsh realities of basic training to post-war chaos in Iraq and knife-edge tension in Northern Ireland, "Squaddie" takes us to a place not advertised in army recruitment brochures.

It exposes the grim reality of everyday soldiering for the 'grunts on the ground'. After the tragic death of his elder brother, and in the dark days following 9/11, McLaughlin felt compelled to fulfil his lifelong ambition to serve in the army. He followed his late brother into the elite Royal Green Jackets and passed the arduous Combat Infantryman's Course at the age of 31. Thereafter, McLaughlin found himself submerged in a world of casual violence.

"Squaddie" is a snapshot of infantry soldiering in the twenty-first century. It takes us into the heart of an ancient institution that is struggling to retain its tough traditions in a rapidly changing world. All of the fears and anxieties that the modern soldier carries as his burden are laid bare, as well as the occasional joys and triumphs that can make him feel like he is doing the best job in the world. This is an account of army life by someone who has been there and done it.

Light refreshments will be served

My question is: When did the Army start being casually Violent; Discuss
  2. Most days after about four o'clock or twenty bells.
  3. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

The casual violence, especially in the Elite Royal Greenjackets, was usually Wednesday afternoons, or on the 3rd riday of the month. Otherwise it was strictly formal violence. Unless one was on a posting somewhere warm and sunny, when formalities were relaxed.
  4. I read the book the other month and didn't rate it at all. Squaddie does basic training at the upper age limit, deploys to Iraq, comes back - ENDEX.

Talking of casually violent, my old mucker in the regiment, let's call him John, epitomised the term 'casually violent'. He had eyes like a shark, devoid of all emotion or expression. You could be having a quiet pint with him and in mid-conversation he'd casually flick out a right hook and drop someone. He once, after leaving a boozer in Guildford, casually toe-punted a tramp in the grid rendering him unconcious before urinating on him. All this while maintaining a conversation and not missing a word.

Strange lad John. On leaving the army he went on to kill people for money in small, ugly wars around the world.
  5. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

No he didn't! He worked for McDonalds.
  6. Put your tights right girly clerk.
  7. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

Not today, it's a Wednesday so it's fishnets.
  8. Check orders. It's f*cking tights! Hair up in a bun.
  9. Particularly when demonstarting alternate uses for garden impliments to Scandinavian tourists, where 'planters order' was the acceptable dress code.
  10. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Look, Denmark was a battle honour on the badge! Just keeping up the traditions.
  11. Those civilian idiots whaling the sh!t out of each other on Saturday night in my local town centre aren't exactly practicing passive resistance.
  12. Serves said tourists right for intruding into a Sovereign Base Area? Foreigners keep out.
  13. Read the book 'Squaddie' recently and didn't rate it either, seemed that a guy with 3 years in was abit up his own arse and 'knowledgable' about all things military.

Even mentioned somewhere in the book that he was often consulted as a 'talking head' on military matters FFS

Don't bother reading it, you could probably write a better one yourself.

FWIW, Ed Maceys book on the Apache in the 'stan, is superb
  14. That's not a good image B_AND_T. :oops:

On the casual violence thing, 5A's mate "John" - there really are a few of them knocking about - there' something proper worrying about being around the ones who do the laid back psycho thing, without breaking off from the conversation.

This "passive resistance" you speak of TankiesYank - think you may have to draw pictures to assist understanding. :)
  15. I found "Squaddie" to be a book of two halves, the first half about his history of wanting to join, the struggle to join & his experiences through basic training good, but the rest dire & self dillusional.

I like hearing peoples personal past, their struggle to attain something they really desire & a lot of his thoughts/feelings during basic struck a chord with me as similar to my own, so it engrossed me. Once it went on to Regimental life & the Iraq tour I quickly lost interest, the guy just seemed to go up his own arrse.