Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Casual Gaming Chat Thread.

Crysis Remastered was £12 on Steam yesterday so I downloaded it (despite having the original somewhere) and am enjoying playing through it again. It does look prettier but not vastly different to how it looked on high end rigs back in 2007. It's still a cracking FPS game though with a great setting and decent story in my opinion.
Crazy how being able to run it used to be the benchmark of a good PC back then, whereas my RTX3080 just laughs at it fully maxed out now.

Crysis Remastered was £12 on Steam yesterday so I downloaded it (despite having the original somewhere) and am enjoying playing through it again. It does look prettier but not vastly different to how it looked on high end rigs back in 2007. It's still a cracking FPS game though with a great setting and decent story in my opinion.
Crazy how being able to run it used to be the benchmark of a good PC back then, whereas my RTX3080 just laughs at it fully maxed out now.
Crysis 4 is supposedly in development now.

I'd love Microsoft to buy them and for them to make a massive budget Ryse Son of Rome sequel.

The game was at its best before the aliens turn up. It was still excellent but not as fun for me.

Currently hairline-deep in the STALKER megamod/map compilation/oh my fricking Gawd this is huge as heck thingy, "Anomaly":

Lots of factions, most not in the original vanilla entries in the series, a huge variety of armour sets, weapons, tools and devices, and some utter bastard non-human mobs are just some of the features therein. A lot of the classic end-game types of monsters, the ones that are usually safely tucked down in a dungeon somewhere that you have to go looking for them, are roaming on the surface. Often near low-level areas. Pseudogiants, Chimeras, Controllers, and ******* Bloodsuckers I'm looking at you through the sights of the biggest shotgun I can carry.

The mod is on slightly shaky legal ground, as unlike a lot of earlier popular mods of its type, you don't actually need to own the original games to download and install it. I'm fine as I've bought the bloody things on at least two separate occasions, probably even three, but it might give some of you qualms.

How do you zoom into the PDA display?! Mine is the size of a postage stamp, and I can't see anything.

I've just started Anomaly. Have no idea what I'm supposed to do in terms of hoarding stuff and preparing loadouts. I've just played the original three games - again - in reverse order and its weird seeing the same old game but with zillions of added bits.

I just took the noob training mission to cross the road and kill a couple of wild boar. Unfortunatly some rat thing disembowelled me as soon as I stepped out of the stalker camp. OK... this is different...

The game was at its best before the aliens turn up. It was still excellent but not as fun for me.

Yeah it was still good later but I think one of my favourite parts is when you get dropped off by VTOL just as the yanks are launching their assault against the Norks at night, it's one of those "this is cool as f*ck" gaming moments.

How do you zoom into the PDA display?! Mine is the size of a postage stamp, and I can't see anything.

I've just started Anomaly. Have no idea what I'm supposed to do in terms of hoarding stuff and preparing loadouts. I've just played the original three games - again - in reverse order and its weird seeing the same old game but with zillions of added bits.

I just took the noob training mission to cross the road and kill a couple of wild boar. Unfortunatly some rat thing disembowelled me as soon as I stepped out of the stalker camp. OK... this is different...

There should be an entry in the Settings menu for something like "3D PDA" - untick that with the Fury of a Thousand Suns, and you should get a nice big PDA map display.

It's a bit of a dick move to have that setting on by default, and I am not going to tell you how long it took me to fix the problem for myself as it's embarrassing.

On the rat thing thing - yon's a Tushkano - they, like most mutant mobs, don't react to well to shotguns. Get a pump-action one from Sid ASAP and use buckshot on them. Until then, a sawn-off double-barrel one is your best bet.

There should be an entry in the Settings menu for something like "3D PDA" - untick that with the Fury of a Thousand Suns, and you should get a nice big PDA map display.

It's a bit of a dick move to have that setting on by default, and I am not going to tell you how long it took me to fix the problem for myself as it's embarrassing.

On the rat thing thing - yon's a Tushkano - they, like most mutant mobs, don't react to well to shotguns. Get a pump-action one from Sid ASAP and use buckshot on them. Until then, a sawn-off double-barrel one is your best bet.

Turns out it was cats; I should have guessed. Probably my own mog playing online in revenge for me taking him to the vets. Flip they are fast. They come in threes, and I can only afford the noob's double barrel right now.

Have you come across anything like a game guide for Anomaly? The whole crafting & medicines aspect is as opaque as heck. I'm currently stuck in a game save where I am gasping for breath, have dim vision and about thirty seconds of life left. I'm actually stood in front of the trader, but he has about fifty types of medicine, I only have enough cash for one, and i still have no clue what it is i am actually dying of.

The new interface gives minimal information - icons appear without any explanation - and the occasional text message flashes past so quickly that you have to save the game to re-read it.

It'd also be helpful to know what to bin and what to retain from the junk one picks up.

I do like the way the background "radio chat" incorporates your own activities into the Stalker gossip, viz "ha, some noob has just been taken out by a cat on the road outside the farm.", etc.

Turns out it was cats; I should have guessed. Probably my own mog playing online in revenge for me taking him to the vets. Flip they are fast. They come in threes, and I can only afford the noob's double barrel right now.

Have you come across anything like a game guide for Anomaly? The whole crafting & medicines aspect is as opaque as heck. I'm currently stuck in a game save where I am gasping for breath, have dim vision and about thirty seconds of life left. I'm actually stood in front of the trader, but he has about fifty types of medicine, I only have enough cash for one, and i still have no clue what it is i am actually dying of.

The new interface gives minimal information - icons appear without any explanation - and the occasional text message flashes past so quickly that you have to save the game to re-read it.

It'd also be helpful to know what to bin and what to retain from the junk one picks up.

I do like the way the background "radio chat" incorporates your own activities into the Stalker gossip, viz "ha, some noob has just been taken out by a cat on the road outside the farm.", etc.

Ok, this will be done in stages as there's a lot to unpack in your post, bud. First things first. You are dying of blood loss. Get a Bandage and a basic First Aid Kit. The Bandage looks like one, so find that icon. The First Aid Kit should be an orange square with a white cross or something very much like it on it. Use both and you should stop bleeding and heal a bit.

Did you sort the PDA problem out, btw?

As for the junk, pick everything up and stick it in the box near Sid's counter, it counts as safe storage and no other Stalker will nick stuff from it. Later on, you'll be able to make your own medicines, fix guns, make your own bullets and repair your armour with the junk. Look out for guide books in the world, you'll find them in Stashes or on the corpses of your humanoid victims, they contain recipes that use virtually all the junk items, and handily, once you've read them, you can sell them. Some notes, particularly the one that lets you actually cook food from the meat of dead mobs that won't give you radiation sickness on consumption disappear once you click on them in the inventory. The guidebooks don't.

I'll have a dig around and see what other guides are out there and collate them here if you want.

Crysis was a rare game where the tech side of it and it's ability to break a PC at 50 paces was actually backed up by a bloody good idea, great story and excellent gameplay.

Funnily enough, I watched 'Riddick' last week and while I know the franchise spawned a game early on, I was trying to think of a game that has the right pacing, normal sort of weaponry with a bit of a buff, great location and chucked in a few Alien monsters and the original Crysis was the one I kept coming back to.

Think I might buy it again.

Crysis was a rare game where the tech side of it and it's ability to break a PC at 50 paces was actually backed up by a bloody good idea, great story and excellent gameplay.

Funnily enough, I watched 'Riddick' last week and while I know the franchise spawned a game early on, I was trying to think of a game that has the right pacing, normal sort of weaponry with a bit of a buff, great location and chucked in a few Alien monsters and the original Crysis was the one I kept coming back to.

The Riddick series deserved more screen time than it received. Diesel was decent in it for once and the plot was ace.

Absolutely, it came at the tail end of that period where people were starting to expect games to be open world affairs so you could explore the world a bit more, but it hadn't quite reached the life consuming levels like games are now with ridiculous amounts of side quests etc. It's linear but often doesn't feel like it is and the story pushes it along nicely.
I've played Crysis 2 and wasn't as impressed by that, and haven't played the third one but keep meaning to.