Casual Gaming Chat Thread.

I've already got the XBox one for the kids; didn't realise it was discounted for both.
I have both but I'm not sure how it would work if you wanted to block your children from playing 18 games, I assume they have some sort of parental lock,

If you get both you get the option of playing some games on your phone/tablet as well

If you don't feel like stuffing your hard-earned into another corporate franchise, give Kenshi a look.

Ignore the dated graphics, forget multi-player cookie-cutter spawn+respawn and make your own way in the brutal, unforgiving and highly content-rich world of Kenshi.

Just remember - by the time you spot your first Beak Thing, you're already dead.

New trailer for Ready Or Not latest update. For those not familiar, its very (very!) reminiscent of the SWAT 3 & 4 games, and the first Rainbow six (to a lesser extent)

I tried grid legends, thought it was too easy, however after a couple of races in career mode, you race against a mixture of AI and human opponents, much harder and very competitive. It's on EA access as a trial, you get the first 10 hours, I'll probs get it, but not for fifty four snots.

For anyone old enough to remember Dune II on the Sega Megadrive (i.e. all of us) it has just been released in early access on the Play Store. No idea if its on ios also - I am downloading it as we speak and will be on an urgent conference call for the rest of the afternoon if its any good.

scoldog

On ROPS
On ROPs
For anyone old enough to remember Dune II on the Sega Megadrive (i.e. all of us) it has just been released in early access on the Play Store. No idea if its on ios also - I am downloading it as we speak and will be on an urgent conference call for the rest of the afternoon if its any good.
Wow, I remember playing that on PC. My favourite trick was that, while you couldn't building outwards from your base without buildings nearby, there wasn't such restrictions on sandbags. So I'd build a line of sandbags out to the enemy base blocking the entrance but with a corridor that their harvester could travel between. When their harvester was in this corridor, a quick sandbag at the entrance and exit would trap the harvester in there. The computer AI wouldn't create another harvester as the current one hadn't been destroyed, but it was trapped and couldn't harvest, so they weren't getting money in. Just blast their existing units to pieces then attack their base when they could no longer afford repairs or to generate units, making sure to leave the sandbags around the harvester intact so it couldn't escape.

Last edited:
Wow, I remember playing that on PC. My favourite trick was that, while you couldn't building outwards from your base without buildings nearby, there wasn't such restrictions on sandbags. So I'd build a line of sandbags out to the enemy base blocking the entrance but with a corridor that their harvester could travel between. When their harvester was in this corridor, a quick sandbag at the entrance and exit would trap the harvester in there. The Computer AI wouldn't create another harvester as the current one hadn't been destroyed, but it was trapped and couldn't harvest, so they weren't getting money in. Just blast their existing units to pieces then attack their base when they could no longer afford to generate units, making sure to leave the sandbags around the harvester intact so it couldn't escape.
Was the same with Command & Conquer, also by Westwood Studios. Another studio that Electronic Arts screwed up.

scoldog

On ROPS
On ROPs
Was the same with Command & Conquer, also by Westwood Studios. Another studio that Electronic Arts screwed up.
I still play Command And Conquer Red Alert 2 daily. Even got the original Hollywood actors voice mod for CnCRA2: Yuri's Revenge for the second Allied level.

I gave up on CnCRA3, it was terrible.

I still play Command And Conquer Red Alert 2 daily. Even got the original Hollywood actors voice mod for CnCRA2: Yuri's Revenge for the second Allied level.

I gave up on CnCRA3, it was terrible.
I bought C&C from somewhere, legitimate, a couple of years back. Now I can't find it. Its not Steam or GoG or Epic but it must be lurking in an online library somewhere online.

scoldog

On ROPS
On ROPs
I bought C&C from somewhere, legitimate, a couple of years back. Now I can't find it. Its not Steam or GoG or Epic but it must be lurking in an online library somewhere online.
EA made sure their games were never released on Steam (Apart from CnC:RA3 which they removed later on), you have to use EA Origin to play it. It's their version of Steam, but a lot worse (always have to have an internet connection to play single player games)

I've still got the original discs for CnC:RA2, and could install it from that if need be. There's some simple hacks to get it working on modern systems.

EA made sure their games were never released on Steam (Apart from CnC:RA3 which they removed later on), you have to use EA Origin to play it. It's their version of Steam, but a lot worse (always have to have an internet connection to play single player games)

I've still got the original discs for CnC:RA2, and could install it from that if need be. There's some simple hacks to get it working on modern systems.
Ah found it, thank you.
I hadn't reinstalled Origin when I replaced my hard drive
Found BF1, MoH Airborne and SW BG 2 on there as well - Result!

New trailer for Ready Or Not latest update. For those not familiar, its very (very!) reminiscent of the SWAT 3 & 4 games, and the first Rainbow six (to a lesser extent)

Interesting - The original R6 with all the intel gathering, assault planning, then hitting the button for everyone to do their thing while you led your own team and part of the puzzle was brilliant.

The later stuff was good, but nowhere near as tactical.

What's this like for that sort of thing?

scoldog

On ROPS
On ROPs
Interesting - The original R6 with all the intel gathering, assault planning, then hitting the button for everyone to do their thing while you led your own team and part of the puzzle was brilliant.

I've just finished the Rainbow 6 book (again) and used to play the original. I was thinking of buying one of the newest R6 games, but might give it a miss because of what you've said about them. I loved the tactics and planning of the first one.

What's this like for that sort of thing?
Well, to be honest, not much! In the way of planning, intel etc, it isn’t there. You get a brief at the beginning but not much else - no maps etc. that being said, it is still in development so I would hope you at least get a floor plan.
The similarities to r6 is that your team slowly progresses through the building finding bad guys, one shot will kill them and kill you. However it is more similar to SWAT as you are supposed to arrest them, so need to issue a warning before you slot them…

And earlier the original Dune game which was the precursor to Command & Conquer, also made by Westwood

The C&C collection is always available cheap somewhere on DVD, or online

F1 2022....I bit the bullet and spent the 62.99....however, this time I have an Oculus Quest 2 VR headset......coupled with Thrustmaster Momo wheel and pedals.................I've lost about 6 hours this morning to it :) It is utterly absorbing in VR! Definitely recommended.

Star Wars Squadrons also excellent in VR.