Casual Gaming Chat Thread.

Ritch

LE
I only do shooters on the PC. trying to aim with a joypad is about as much fun as a 24 hour marathon of mrs browns boys.

I've had to mess with the sensitivity settings as aiming was ridiculously slow.

I know for a fact I'll be terrible at the game but it'll be an experience!

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
Usually the companies who they licence the cars from don't want their vehicles to take damage, as they don't want images of smashed up versions of their cars floating around.
I think it's a stupid rationale that doesn't have any bearing on real life at all. Same goes for you MS Flight Sim.

It is what I thought though, which is a shame, as a sim can't call itself a sim without some sort of realistic damage modelling. There is surprisingly little on Google, which is why I asked @dogmeat.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
You know that Xbox allows mouse and keyboard, no?

no....really??? ;)

it's not designed to. nor is my setup here really suited to it. plus my entire pc setup is optimised for the gaming experience and is easily a couple of £k's worth. I know which I prefer.

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
no....really??? ;)

it's not designed to. nor is my setup here really suited to it. plus my entire pc setup is optimised for the gaming experience and is easily a couple of £k's worth. I know which I prefer.

I apologise for teaching you how to suck eggs, you can't tell people's experience, in my defence! ;)

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
I apologise for teaching you how to suck eggs, you can't tell people's experience, in my defence! ;)

no apology necessary. I shouldn't be a sarky cnut. I like consoles, don't get me wrong - I've still got an original PS1 connected up to the telly here, as well as my One and 360 - but I prefer my pc. saying that, my One makes a superb media center in a lot of ways, that is far less faff than a pc...but still.

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
no apology necessary. I shouldn't be a sarky cnut. I like consoles, don't get me wrong - I've still got an original PS1 connected up to the telly here, as well as my One and 360 - but I prefer my pc. saying that, my One makes a superb media center in a lot of ways, that is far less faff than a pc...but still.
My PC is ageing, it's nine years old, but I do love the variety of games you can buy. I just got an Xbox Series X for my 50th and I have to say that it's a really nice piece of kit.

I can't shoot for toffee on it though. Not unless it's got helpful auto-aim, which sort of defeats the point.

TamH70

MIA
And there's me with my little problem in STALKER: AREA where my optical sights track so slowly across the screen that they're almost useless at medium range, as by the time l am ready to shoot, the sod l am trying to ventilate is about a millimetre away from his next bit of cover, that he can and does shoot through, but I can't see the bastard.

This is of course the cause of much hilarity in the Red Forest bit of the map where there is almost nothing but places for the AI to hide. Two hours it took me to get through there, and what's waiting at the exit? The entrance to the Radar bit of the map where a whole regiment of Monolith bastards are guarding the Brain Scorcher.

No wonder I sacked it for a bit to go and do some much needed laundry.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
And there's me with my little problem in STALKER: AREA where my optical sights track so slowly across the screen that they're almost useless at medium range, as by the time l am ready to shoot, the sod l am trying to ventilate is about a millimetre away from his next bit of cover, that he can and does shoot through, but I can't see the bastard.

This is of course the cause of much hilarity in the Red Forest bit of the map where there is almost nothing but places for the AI to hide. Two hours it took me to get through there, and what's waiting at the exit? The entrance to the Radar bit of the map where a whole regiment of Monolith bastards are guarding the Brain Scorcher.

No wonder I sacked it for a bit to go and do some much needed laundry.

what mouse and keyboard are you using out of interest? there are a number of settings you can play around with that will help.

TamH70

MIA
what mouse and keyboard are you using out of interest? there are a number of settings you can play around with that will help.

Bog standard Dell Entry keyboard that was a gizzit with one of my Dell monitors, funnily enough, and a natty Microsoft Surface Blue Track Bluetooth mouse I got for buttons off of CeX.

I think I will try cranking up all the mouse scroll settings up to max, at the moment they're set to medium settings, and that's usually enough for these sorts of games. I don't know why it's so painfully slow on this one.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
Bog standard Dell Entry keyboard that was a gizzit with one of my Dell monitors, funnily enough, and a natty Microsoft Surface Blue Track Bluetooth mouse I got for buttons off of CeX.

I think I will try cranking up all the mouse scroll settings up to max, at the moment they're set to medium settings, and that's usually enough for these sorts of games. I don't know why it's so painfully slow on this one.

well, for openers that'll be like trying to play football wearing wellies two sizes too big. I'm amazed you've not put your fist through the monitor by now.

and before anyone starts, I know, gucci kit won't make you a better player in and of itself, but it won't hurt and it'll make for a nicer gaming experience as well.

most 'name' brands will usually come with a software suite you can play around with and set the sensitivity far higher than you can with a bog-average mouse, as well as getting it exactly the way you like it. plus you'll be getting lag like fcuk off a wireless mouse that isn't gaming optimised. Amazon sells chinesium gaming mouse and keyboard packages that actually are not that bad in terms of a step up from what you're using right now ( I have this here - Amazon product - the keyboard and mouse are perfectly respectable - in fact the keyboard for the money was **very** good, but did only last six months or so - however they did replace it with very little fuss with a new set) although tbh, if it was me, I'd spend a few more quid and get a 'name' mouse (corsair or logitech are my favourites.) and a decent mouse mat. *

in the meantime, I'd make sure the batteries in my current mouse were fresh, that you've turned 'off' the 'enhance pointer precision' option in 'mouse properties>pointer options' and that you've tried playing around with the in-game mouse options.

* I spent literally a couple of years trying to find **the** best keyboard and mouse setup while playing Shadow Of Chernobyl and Call Of Pripyat - if I spent much less than a grand on various combinations of kit over that period trying to pick the best I'd be very surprised...eventually I've settled on a no name chinese mech keyboard (although I will be getting a Corsair again at some point when I find one for a price I like), a Corsair M65 Pro with aftermarket teflon mouse feet (far slippier and easier to move than stock) and a Steelseries rigid mouse mat.

perversely, the higher sensitivity M65 Elite is actually cheaper by a tenner right now online at £40 than the Pro, but there are plenty of alternatives (saying that, I'm reluctant now to use anything else other than a 65, and when the scroll wheel went after a few years on my old one it was straight online to get a new one **immediately**). Steelseries make excellent kit as well, and you can get a Razer keyboard and mouse setup on amazon atm for less than £50. you don't have to spend a fortune by any means (and I haven't, being a tightwad northerner) but if you look around and do your research there are always bargains to be had.

Anyone playing Battlefield 2042 on a PC, watch out for the latest patch

If you can't move your mouse horizontally in game it's not your PC playing up it's Dice having an emperor mong moment, see this fix to sort it

Just delete the bit in the config file, and all will be ok again

Ritch

LE
Regarding Hell Let Loose, I'm not a fan at all. It seems to have a massive learning curve and the pace of the game is just TOO slow. I had a go last night and had some bloke called Derek trying to teach me the basics on the command chat. I think he was a bit put out what I said it was a bag of shìt and I was off to bed.

Another hour this afternoon hasn't swayed my views.

Regarding Hell Let Loose, I'm not a fan at all. It seems to have a massive learning curve and the pace of the game is just TOO slow. I had a go last night and had some bloke called Derek trying to teach me the basics on the command chat. I think he was a bit put out what I said it was a bag of shìt and I was off to bed.

At least your prediction was right. You did say you’d be shit at it

WhiteCrane

Old-Salt

You don't have your own youtube channel, do you? lol!

Ritch

LE
Well that's Hell Let Loose gone. I've found some mug on eBay who is paying the same I paid for it when I bought it new.

Phew, let him curse and rage at his TV. My blood pressure is only just recovering.

Well BF can bollox frankly

The hit detection is as shit as ever unless your American in which case its 2 rounds to kill my fat ass

Choppers are invulnerable to AA so theres no point in trying to knock em down

Unbalance garbage

Wonder if I can get my money back

Latest Threads