Casual Gaming Chat Thread.

On a different note, how crap are the games companies. Started up uPlay to play a game - I had to click SIX times authorising it to make changes before it actually finished updated/started.

The whole programming team should be taken out and shot. Repeatedly.

Company of Heroes 3 announced, the trailer doesn't show any gameplay but shows the Italian and North Africa theatres so assuming it focuses on those. I poured countless hours into the first one, and the second one was good but plagued with micro transactions for every little thing in the game, you weren't forced to buy them but it was very in your face, hopefully that has been reduced for the new one.

Edited to add, early Alpha gameplay here

You can play it for free pre-alpha, I have just had a couple of games, not a bad concept a bit like Civilisation type map which takes you into the CoH you know, still a lot of micro transactions, upgrades etc.

What I dont like about it, and I will add its my style of gameplay, I prefer to play a long game, where it still has many missions that force you against the clock.

Dynamic campaign and logistics from the ports, its shaping up nicely but still very early

You can play it for free pre-alpha, I have just had a couple of games, not a bad concept a bit like Civilisation type map which takes you into the CoH you know, still a lot of micro transactions, upgrades etc.

What I dont like about it, and I will add its my style of gameplay, I prefer to play a long game, where it still has many missions that force you against the clock.

Dynamic campaign and logistics from the ports, its shaping up nicely but still very early

I too prefer a long game, I nearly always played the first two in player vs AI skirmish mode, and if I had the time and was enjoying it I would sometimes hold off and let the enemy recover rather than annihilating them when I had them on the ropes, just to drag the game out longer.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer

Yes pretty much my thoughts exactly, It's a cross between Panzer General and CoH IMO, I'm not sure yet as it's very early days, but not over keen as it stands on the layout.

I just found this site which is chock full of old games that can be downloaded. Been looking at Harpoon and Black & White (which has been impossible to find anywhere else).

As an aside, I picked up Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition for roughly £1 yesterday from Steam

Ritch

LE
I've just finished installing Microsoft Flight Sim on my Xbox Series X ahead of the launch on Tuesday. It's a hefty 97gb.

Ritch

LE
And that's just the start, I bet something like that will have large updates every time you start the game up like the ridiculousness of CoD!

Well recently Asobo have released a patch for the PC that has cut the download in half and they've said they expect to be able to do it for the Xbox in the future so I don't think it'll be too bad. I've got another 150gb spare on my console for now if any huge updates come. I ordered the Deluxe version so I think 97gb is the top you can download at the minute.

Ritch

LE
New toys...

I did have the Thrustmaster joystick and throttle for the Xbox until recently. I bought it to play Elite Dangerous on but sold it on eBay after a few weeks. I tend to play the Xbox when laid in bed so using the T.Flight was awkward to say the least.

Or handing over a C90 jam packed with about 40-50 spectrum games.
Nodes of Yessod
Star Glider
Green Beret
Attic Attak
Robin of the Wood
etc etc etc

it were all green fields round ere.......

I wish I could go back to the age of 12 and be blown away by this in the 1980s.

Music! Voices! Holy sh1t, the future is here!

I wish I could go back to the age of 12 and be blown away by this in the 1980s.

Music! Voices! Holy sh1t, the future is here!

I don't remember that one but I do remember being blown away by actual voices in games around the early 90's seen as they were pretty rare before CD's replaced cartridges!
I remember thinking the original Doom was incredibly realistic and that we were living in the future when I first played it on my mates 32X, now look at it compared to Doom Eternal, kids these days don't know how good they have it!

ss_0316d2cb78eed32d21a90f197da0e0ea4b06e776.1920x1080.jpg

SqsWMrBpEjRvGsfdBZqRVm-1280-80.jpg

I don't remember that one but I do remember being blown away by actual voices in games around the early 90's seen as they were pretty rare before CD's replaced cartridges!
I remember thinking the original Doom was incredibly realistic and that we were living in the future when I first played it on my mates 32X, now look at it compared to Doom Eternal, kids these days don't know how good they have it!

View attachment 590972
View attachment 590973
Still remember getting DOOM on floppy disk, and thinking that 10 floppies was huge! Then witnessing CDROM for the first time.

It was a similar epic moment when I went from dialup to ADSL. Still, I kinda miss dialling BBS's all night long. That was the real dark web of its time.

Something free for the PC elite:

Finally got the BF 4 to load up with all the trimmings on T'Box so happy days. Is it me or is the gameplay far better than the BF1 and BF5 ?? which is a bit disappointing as its what 5 years old .So much for progress

Finally got the BF 4 to load up with all the trimmings on T'Box so happy days. Is it me or is the gameplay far better than the BF1 and BF5 ?? which is a bit disappointing as its what 5 years old .So much for progress

Still playing it on the pc now.
Involved in both betas for 1 and 5 was never going to buy them.

Something free for the PC elite:

The BF1 multiplayer never seems to have anyone online so I will give this a try as it is free - not that I really need another FPS though.

Shame that, I really enjoyed the BF1 multiplayer when it was still new and busy. Had some epic matches on that map set in the Italian mountains.
I have been playing Enlisted a lot recently. WW2 but the best FPS MMO I have played by far