Casual Gaming Chat Thread.

TamH70

MIA
I was going to build the wee lad a PC, he wants to get into computer programming/games development.. not be happening whilst the chip shortage is still happening.

The chip shortage, across all forms of componentry, won't be over until at least next year. If then. Too many things went wrong at the same time for reliable sources of supply to be maintained.

I'm glad I stuck with my Radeon RX590 now, it plays any game I chuck at it on Ultra unless it's one of those stupid-ass Nvidia-optimized ones which rely on their proprietary PhysX crapola.

Could you not start with a Raspberry Pi and work up?
I'll have to look into it, don't know much about it to be honest.

Seen a couple of online colleges doing beginner classes for teenagers in Python coding etc, was gonna enrol him in them.

Seen a couple of online colleges doing beginner classes for teenagers in Python coding etc, was gonna enrol him in them.
Plenty of online courses these days. Python can be learnt on any platform - at least the nuts and bolts.

If he takes to it, make sure he learns a bit of SQL database stuff - MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQL Express.

For a career in it, current hot stuff is deployment and build automation. Tools such as Chef, Ansible, Puppet, and containerisation (Docker, K8, etc).

TamH70

MIA

Have a swatch at this:

I don't have a pi myself, as I've got enough other more expensive bits of silicon to be dealing with, so I have no idea how well it works, but the site seems to know what it's doing.

I was going to build the wee lad a PC, he wants to get into computer programming/games development.. not be happening whilst the chip shortage is still happening.

Employers will only care about practical experience not how expensive his computer hardware is, even developing an android game for his own use would be better than nothing, you don't need to be doing high end stuff

Look at something like "Flippy Bird" as an example, most PC/Console games need a huge development team, so to get in anywhere you need to show you develop something from scratch, but the expectation of being like a AAA title won't be there

Also degrees in game development can be worth it for those universities with close association with gaming companies, the work experience you can get that way would be worth than the degree, and an easier entry into a job like that

Plenty of online courses these days. Python can be learnt on any platform - at least the nuts and bolts.

If he takes to it, make sure he learns a bit of SQL database stuff - MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQL Express.

For a career in it, current hot stuff is deployment and build automation. Tools such as Chef, Ansible, Puppet, and containerisation (Docker, K8, etc).
Agree with all of this above.
Also anything cloud and gitlab.

I’m having to design an environment for Rstudio in AWS at the moment but that is a more scientific based solution.

He's obsessed with technology. He wanted to do Creative Media OCN for his exam years but it clashed with the Princes Trust course, which is more suited to his Aspergers, learning life skills etc.

He's obsessed with technology. He wanted to do Creative Media OCN for his exam years but it clashed with the Princes Trust course, which is more suited to his Aspergers, learning life skills etc.
I'm sure you know better than me, encourage him to do something that interests him with IT (pick a programming project that also involves his other interests).

I'm sure you know better than me, encourage him to do something that interests him with IT (pick a programming project that also involves his other interests).
I haven't a clue were to start to be honest. He's his heart set on being a game developer.

I haven't a clue were to start to be honest. He's his heart set on being a game developer.
Start simple. There are a number of Python tutorials aimed at game development. Advise him to start with the simple things. Don't try and go full on AAA FPS on day 1. Maybe look at retro games and get idea from them. Lots of games from the 80s and 90s were written by individuals before all the big names and tie-ins with multi million budgets got involved.

Appears that steam have shafted a LOT of their customers due to
Start simple. There are a number of Python tutorials aimed at game development. Advise him to start with the simple things. Don't try and go full on AAA FPS on day 1. Maybe look at retro games and get idea from them. Lots of games from the 80s and 90s were written by individuals before all the big names and tie-ins with multi million budgets got involved.
Whatever he comes up with will still be better than most of what John Romero has ever created :p

His Mum is trying to go through Autism Intervention to see if Ulster University are doing anything in the summer for his age group. They had like a teen beginners summer scheme a few years back.

His Mum is trying to go through Autism Intervention to see if Ulster University are doing anything in the summer for his age group. They had like a teen beginners summer scheme a few years back.
If you have a spare TV/monitor that will take HDMI, consider getting a Pi-400 if you haven't already thought about it:

If you have a spare TV/monitor that will take HDMI, consider getting a Pi-400 if you haven't already thought about it:

Thought never even crossed my mind until this thread. Ordering one tonight for the wee man, cheers.

Worms being a prime example, I remember seeing Andy Davidson coding stuff in a 2nd hand games shop when the shop was quiet, now he's a millionaire just from some daft idea that started on the Amiga

Worms being a prime example, I remember seeing Andy Davidson coding stuff in a 2nd hand games shop when the shop was quiet, now he's a millionaire just from some daft idea that started on the Amiga
Unleash the Concrete Donkey!!!

I loved the original Worms. Brilliant fun. One of my favourite games alongside Cannon Fodder and X Com