Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Casual Game Chat Thread.

As ARMA3 is being mentioned. I haven't played it yet since buying it so if someone fancies giving me a guided tour...
Personally, I don’t like the base game, semi futuristic shit that never got me.

The thing about ARMA is the DLC or Workshop Mods, which is good, and bad. Good, they can change the game to suit your preference, bad, there are so fking many of them where to start!!!

So apologies, I haven’t played for ages and couldn’t recommend the best subscriptions.

As ARMA3 is being mentioned. I haven't played it yet since buying it so if someone fancies giving me a guided tour...
Tough one really - there is so much.

I've done everything from playing the vanilla base campaign to being a commander for an online group taking part of full blown company attacks on another organised group based in another country - armour, air - fully realistic mods for radio, medical, stamina, tactical commands etc...

I'd really suggest getting the base game and going through the tutorials and campaign - it's a different beast to most other shooters, you might hate it.

Yep, although graphics and physics are improved with later versions, I have never been as immersed as OFP.

I don’t remember the mission but there was one we were attacking 3 buildings and although hard to see, you are prone in a field and the oppo’s are flanking you through a forest to your 9 o’clock, if you don’t see them, you are dead.

With arma 3, they just shoot you through the grass and camouflage.

I also set up a decent firebase with AI machine gunners in the Sangars, enemy kills them every time with pinpoint accuracy. Just cannot get immersed in ARMA 3

I always enjoyed how the maps were open and you could go wherever you wanted to achieve the mission, and how the enemy AI was very advanced even in 2001 with enemies doing RTR when coming under contact and attempting to flank you or fall back if they were getting hammered. Even now 20 years later the AI in triple A games isn't as intelligent as that in Flashpoint, with most enemies just running in front of your gun in waves and occasionally taking cover behind walls being about as advanced as it gets.

Downloading ARMA 3 again as I just read that there had been a 2.0 update not long ago - be interesting to see what's been added/developed further.

Slight thread deviation: Since Star Wars Commander folded, a group of us have been playing Galaxy Control but it's not so great.

Any suggestions for a sci-fi, squad based game would be welcome. Android and Apple products used.

Tough one really - there is so much.

I've done everything from playing the vanilla base campaign to being a commander for an online group taking part of full blown company attacks on another organised group based in another country - armour, air - fully realistic mods for radio, medical, stamina, tactical commands etc...

I'd really suggest getting the base game and going through the tutorials and campaign - it's a different beast to most other shooters, you might hate it.
Thats probably what I have, it was on sale on Steam or GOG recently so I bought it.

I have been playing Squad, which I enjoy, so want to compare the two

Is anyone here playing Elder Scrolls Online - US Server?

Also, have any of you tried Baldur's Gate 3 yet? I am huge fan of the originals but it is still early access so I may be better off waiting

The Batman Arkham series is on sale on Steam. Around 7 quid for the lot or 3 each

Is anyone here playing Elder Scrolls Online - US Server?

Also, have any of you tried Baldur's Gate 3 yet? I am huge fan of the originals but it is still early access so I may be better off waiting
I play ESO but on the EU servers alas.

BG3 wise, I have it and I've put maybe 10 hours in. It's a good game as a D&D reskinned version of a Divinity Original Sin 2 or Pillars of Eternity clone but it has little if any link to the original series. Better to play it as a standalone D&D game set maybe 100 years later. It's enjoyable though.

Gaming let downs of the year so far, for me.

Phoenix Point: More fun than the X-COM reboots but there’s a bug that keeps screwing things up so I’ve binned it for now. Being buggy after 12 months sucks.

Crusader Kings 3: Not a let down exactly but the modding community hasn’t yet caught up on this one and the standard variety of starting timelines sucks for playability.

TamH70

MIA
Gaming let downs of the year so far, for me.

Phoenix Point: More fun than the X-COM reboots but there’s a bug that keeps screwing things up so I’ve binned it for now. Being buggy after 12 months sucks.

Crusader Kings 3: Not a let down exactly but the modding community hasn’t yet caught up on this one and the standard variety of starting timelines sucks for playability.

I haven't really had any letdowns in gaming this year, not even in Fallout 76 - which according to all the reviews should have come with a plague-doctor in yon funny face-mask thingy saying "unclean!" For what I paid for it, I got far more than my money's worth.

edited to add.

Finished both the "Contact" and "Old Man" DLC for ARMA III. Both pretty hard going at times, but I just stuck at it and got through. The last mission for the latter DLC is a lot easier if you can

A/ Nick a tank (preferably a Varsuk)

B/ Keep it in good repair and muller every AT soldier, other tank, and any air asset you have missed smashing on the ground.

Note, I didn't say "easy". It isn't.

Last edited:
By the time I reached the end game and all the angsty moralising over what choices I should make, I'd lost all investment in the characters and just wanted it to end.
Same here. After smashing all side missions etc. I found the main story to be lacklustre and short. Never played original pen & paper RPG Cyberpunk (so not sure of similarities to other games/movies/books of the same genre), but I found the city not nearly as immersive as the Deus Ex games (which were more linear) for that Blade Runner vibe. As for the car sprites when you look at roads in the distance, or buildings with the generic textures/rooms in the distance...... maybe CDPR bit off more than they could chew. I enjoyed it but I think I expected too much after playing Witcher 3.

I read on Eurogamer & Den of Geek, that they’ve removed the gratuitous shots of Miranda’s bum in her tight-fitting suit from Legendary edition . That’s £60 better off in my wallet then!

Spent 3 hours playing yesterday. Mostly, scanning planets in the systems adjacent to Omega, which triggered the Lost Operative assignment. Then returned to the Citadel to recruit Kasumi and complete her ‘Stolen Memory’ loyalty mission, which was fun.
Not bothering. I replayed ME2 earlier this year but with added 4k FMV, higher res/detailed textures, better lighting etc. from Nexus MODs. I did the same when I replayed RE4, the MOD community always seem to do a better job of remasters.... for free.

Sorry to bark on, I am now about 120 hours into Dyson Sphere Project and pretty much finished it.

I am creating the final ingredient and have 3000 out of the 4000 needed to ‘win’.

For about £20 I have 120 hours of play, that’s a fcuking bargain. It’s also Early Access so can only get better (I haven’t had one game breaking bug).

Love it.

Did anyone invest time in CyberPunk, if so, how's it going?

Have they patched it to your satisfaction, is it running better, and is the 'world' worth it?

I am really enjoying it.

To be fair I was looking forward to it for a very long time and even used it as an excuse to buy a new, custom built, PC.

Is it everything that I hoped for? No, not by a long way, and I am certainly glad that I am not one of those who tried to run it on an older console, clearly that was a nightmare. It doesn't have as much depth as I would like and there are areas that don't match up even to GTA 5 (driving, NPC AI, interactions with the police) but it is fun. The storylines are good and there is variety of locations, weapons, cars & bikes etc. The combat is fun, particularly when you use tech hacks, but not massively challenging, unless you attempt missions that are too high for you.

I hope, really hope, that future DLC (all included in the original price) adds more to it and there are plenty of hints that it will.

7 out of 10 as it stands - maybe 8 on a good day - and confident that will hit 9 with DLC and patches.