Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Casual Game Chat Thread.

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
I went back to playing Sudden Strike 4 over the weekend (bought it a year or so ago but only completed a couple of the campaigns), christ that game is hard! The only real way to be successful on the missions is sending a lone infantryman forward on his belt buckle with instruction not to engage the enemy until the ridiculously restrictive "fog of war" clears enough to spot them, then pound them with artillery if you have any before inching forward a bit more rinse and repeat. If you get spotted first the enemy tends to absolutely annihilate all your units in short order with a wave of over powerful armour and long range artillery that you don't have a hope of countering. It's very pretty though and quite rewarding if you play it with a lot of patience
Capture.PNG

4(T)

LE
Same here.

Has anyone played Escape From Tarkov?

I've been trying it for a while, but have shelved it for the time being.

I only got up to level 10 or something, so only a noob. I haven't enjoyed playing it, and am not sure I'll pick it up again after the next "wipe".

For me it wasn't so much the vertical learning and grinding experience thats put me off (there is no tier-based MM, so you're immediately up against fully-kitted top level veteran players), so much as the game design itself and the limitations of online PvP shooters.

- I don't like the way inventory management has been monetised by the developers, making the noob early game tedious and grindy in the extreme. Not only do you spend much longer playing inventory tetris than actually being involved in gameplay, but as a noob you are aware that you need to amass resources to up-kit and also develop a "hide" - but you are constantly crippled by lack of inventory space.

- On the PvP side, IMHO the game is simply too fast to play over a network. Desynch and corner sniping are endemic (ie where an enemy can see and pixel-snipe you dead before he is even rendered so that you can see him). Engagements vs levelled players (or bots) are decided in under a second, and the networking issue means that there is insufficient time for one or other player to react.

I've also encountered what appear to be players using cheats.

I've been trying it for a while, but have shelved it for the time being.

I only got up to level 10 or something, so only a noob. I haven't enjoyed playing it, and am not sure I'll pick it up again after the next "wipe".

For me it wasn't so much the vertical learning and grinding experience thats put me off (there is no tier-based MM, so you're immediately up against fully-kitted top level veteran players), so much as the game design itself and the limitations of online PvP shooters.

- I don't like the way inventory management has been monetised by the developers, making the noob early game tedious and grindy in the extreme. Not only do you spend much longer playing inventory tetris than actually being involved in gameplay, but as a noob you are aware that you need to amass resources to up-kit and also develop a "hide" - but you are constantly crippled by lack of inventory space.

- On the PvP side, IMHO the game is simply too fast to play over a network. Desynch and corner sniping are endemic (ie where an enemy can see and pixel-snipe you dead before he is even rendered so that you can see him). Engagements vs levelled players (or bots) are decided in under a second, and the networking issue means that there is insufficient time for one or other player to react.

I've also encountered what appear to be players using cheats.
Cheating is apparently pretty bad although a recent move toward anti cheat software should help. Otherwise I agree with you completely. Which is a shame as its a very interesting concept with brilliant visuals and some of the best gun play ive encountered. Otherwise I've never actually ENJOYED playing it I'm having a heart attack with the stress!

I went back to playing Sudden Strike 4 over the weekend (bought it a year or so ago but only completed a couple of the campaigns), christ that game is hard! The only real way to be successful on the missions is sending a lone infantryman forward on his belt buckle with instruction not to engage the enemy until the ridiculously restrictive "fog of war" clears enough to spot them, then pound them with artillery if you have any before inching forward a bit more rinse and repeat. If you get spotted first the enemy tends to absolutely annihilate all your units in short order with a wave of over powerful armour and long range artillery that you don't have a hope of countering. It's very pretty though and quite rewarding if you play it with a lot of patience
View attachment 525097
I think I got this game in a humble bundle but not had time to play it. Used to be a big fan of Sudden Strike 1 and 2 so should really give it a try.

I think I got this game in a humble bundle but not had time to play it. Used to be a big fan of Sudden Strike 1 and 2 so should really give it a try.
I'm trying to remember if I enjoyed it, all I remember is I didn't play much of it. Downloading now to give her another try.

It is good, I finished the Pacific campaign for the yanks last night, it just takes a lot of patience as you can't just send your forces charging forward to the objective like you can in other games. When I first started playing it I'd just highlight a bunch of infantry and send them all forward at the enemy but you really have to learn each ones skills and their line of sight to use them properly. It gets much easier to play once you get the hang of it.

It is good, I finished the Pacific campaign for the yanks last night, it just takes a lot of patience as you can't just send your forces charging forward to the objective like you can in other games. When I first started playing it I'd just highlight a bunch of infantry and send them all forward at the enemy but you really have to learn each ones skills and their line of sight to use them properly. It gets much easier to play once you get the hang of it.
I've been playing the remaster of C&C on steam. I know it still has all the problems the original had but the nostalgia makes me so happy :)

Ritch

LE
I just picked Battlefield 5 up on Xbox Live for £14.

Not a huge fan of anything post Battlefield 4 (including Hard-line) but I fancied a change and saving 60% seemed a nice bargain. Got the version with Year 1 & 2 upgrades and everything maxed so I can tango with the top notch players.

I just picked Battlefield 5 up on Xbox Live for £14.

Not a huge fan of anything post Battlefield 4 (including Hard-line) but I fancied a change and saving 60% seemed a nice bargain. Got the version with Year 1 & 2 upgrades and everything maxed so I can tango with the top notch players.

Is it any good? I was massively put off by all the daft looking characters with robotic looking prosthetic arms and blue face paint (yes I know some of the 82nd Airborne wore tribal paint on D.Day), they can do what they want with futuristic war games but I like my WW2 games authentic and it all just looked a bit silly. Post Scriptum is where it's at for me when I fancy a bit of online WW2 action.

*edited to add, 101st airborne, not 82nd!

Last edited:

Ritch

LE
Is it any good? I was massively put off by all the daft looking characters with robotic looking prosthetic arms and blue face paint (yes I know some of the 82nd Airborne wore tribal paint on D.Day), they can do what they want with futuristic war games but I like my WW2 games authentic and it all just looked a bit silly. Post Scriptum is where it's at for me when I fancy a bit of online WW2 action.

From what I remember when I had it briefly on release, the prosthetics and such from Battlefield 1 have largely been binned. There are options for players to really custom their soldiers with ridiculous capes and other stuff, but I think the robotic stuff has been shelved.

I'm like you, I like authentic stuff. I don't like futuristic warfare games. I prefer modern and not OTT like the CoD games. (Although I'll admit the CoD: Modern Warfare campaign was epic.)

I'm like you, I like authentic stuff. I don't like futuristic warfare games.

True dat.

Back in the day, we never had all those fancy-schmancy sci-fi stuff.

All we had was the absolute minimum - basic infinite health hacks, 3D objective indicators, adaptive cursor, semi-transparent mini-map, friendly player tags, real time battle updates and ammo and grenade counters.

I can't imagine how real WWII soldiers managed in such primitive conditions.

From what I remember when I had it briefly on release, the prosthetics and such from Battlefield 1 have largely been binned. There are options for players to really custom their soldiers with ridiculous capes and other stuff, but I think the robotic stuff has been shelved.

I'm like you, I like authentic stuff. I don't like futuristic warfare games. I prefer modern and not OTT like the CoD games. (Although I'll admit the CoD: Modern Warfare campaign was epic.)
Cold War is belting

The original Black Ops game was brilliant fun :)

Ah, I've been looking at the campaign playthrough on YouToob and it's not my cup of tea.

I played the original Black Ops but wasn't a huge fan. I much prefer the Modern Warfare and Ghosts settings.
Ghosts was underrated. Didn't enjoy Infinite Warfare though

Ah, I've been looking at the campaign playthrough on YouToob and it's not my cup of tea.

I played the original Black Ops but wasn't a huge fan. I much prefer the Modern Warfare and Ghosts settings.
Got to love zombies though