Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Casual Game Chat Thread.

Further to my last, I've played a bit more on Fallout 76, and I have to say I'm actually enjoying it for what it is - an extremely cheap Fallout game with a lovely (and immense) looking map to wander around and shoot or thwack things in the head with a Hatchet. I am giving the multi-player side of things a bodyswerve as I'm not really sure how to play best with other people in a Fallout game yet - and I'm still way too underleveled to feel comfortable offering much help in the Event missions that keep popping up.

I had a swatch at the lore video that introduces the Brotherhood of Steel to Appalachia and it was fairly decent.
Starts out like that but you'll get bored wandering around looking for things to do after a while. There will be areas of the map which are absolute no go areas for you. The level of enemies in the Eastern areas is obscene and you can burn through most of your ammo in a relatively short fight. Even at level 50, with 50 weapons the bit in the middle is an absolute slog.

I just got sick and tired of spending a whole hour of gaming bouncing round the map having to scavenge screws to repair or upgrade my weapons, find bits to increase the security for my CAMP and then having to go scrounging for bullets after scrounging for screws. Repeat ad nauseum. I could honestly spend two hours playing it and only 30 minutes of that would be actually doing quests or events.

I hope nobody buys them so the greedy bastards eventually have to sell them at a loss. Sadly though desperate people will pay it just so they can be the first to have something, or the parents of spoiled kids who don't want to disappoint their stroppy crotch spawn on Christmas day.

My plan to upgrade my PC in the absence of PS5 stock isn't working out either, absolutely no stock of graphics cards anywhere to be found. Even the Nvidia GTX1080 that I've had for four years still retails at nearly a grand! It's still a beast of a card though so will be fine for a while yet, I was just getting drawn to the new 3080 series...
I just got an ASUS Strix 2060 here for less than 300 quid

I just got an ASUS Strix 2060 here for less than 300 quid

I noticed they are around that price, seems odd that even second hand GTX1080's are going for around the £700 mark, I've had mine over four years which is a long time in PC gaming. I've also noticed the market is getting flooded with Palit graphics cards, which I understand are made in India and makes me dubious about the quality, I'm steering clear of those.

I noticed they are around that price, seems odd that even second hand GTX1080's are going for around the £700 mark, I've had mine over four years which is a long time in PC gaming. I've also noticed the market is getting flooded with Palit graphics cards, which I understand are made in India and makes me dubious about the quality, I'm steering clear of those.

Wait until Cyberpunk has been out for a while, there is going to be a glut of second hand GPUs on the market if you're not bothered about RTX for Cyberpunk and just want an upgrade

Prices will fall next year, it's just the usual way of maintaining brand awareness by engineering a shortage of the new cards being released, as happens with every cycle of new generation cards being released

Well, ive downloaded it and had a first go last night.... Where the bloody hell are the space ships? I woke up near some spaceport, eventually found out how to stand up after the tutorial decided to tell me how to do a melee strike for 5 minutes! Then ran around an apartment block before blundering into a metro station. Found a spaceship showroom where i could buy a new ship for only 500000 more credits than i actually had....

Hi, just seen this. I have not tried to test any ships as a new player. However this guide may help, he does a lot of pretty good videos on SC.

Wait until Cyberpunk has been out for a while, there is going to be a glut of second hand GPUs on the market if you're not bothered about RTX for Cyberpunk and just want an upgrade

Prices will fall next year, it's just the usual way of maintaining brand awareness by engineering a shortage of the new cards being released, as happens with every cycle of new generation cards being released

I'm a bit of a sucker for wanting to be able to play PC games with the visuals they were intended to have, all my previous builds and upgrades have been based around the recommended specs for whatever demanding AAA title I was interested in at the time, Half Life 2, Doom 3 and Far Cry back in 2004, Crysis in 2007, Arma2 in 2009 then my current build in 2017 for Battlefield 1, Arma 3 and VR stuff. I'll definitely be getting an RTX card at some point but the price needs to drop first, they're obscene at the moment especially the RTX 3090! As for Cyberpunk that'll be a PS5 job when I finally get one, I think it'll be best suited to a joypad and big TV experience rather than sat at a desk with a mouse and keyboard (although I have programmed my PC to work with the PS4 controller).

I'm a bit of a sucker for wanting to be able to play PC games with the visuals they were intended to have, all my previous builds and upgrades have been based around the recommended specs for whatever demanding AAA title I was interested in at the time, Half Life 2, Doom 3 and Far Cry back in 2004, Crysis in 2007, Arma2 in 2009 then my current build in 2017 for Battlefield 1, Arma 3 and VR stuff. I'll definitely be getting an RTX card at some point but the price needs to drop first, they're obscene at the moment especially the RTX 3090! As for Cyberpunk that'll be a PS5 job when I finally get one, I think it'll be best suited to a joypad and big TV experience rather than sat at a desk with a mouse and keyboard (although I have programmed my PC to work with the PS4 controller).

I was going to get the 3090, but having seen the reviews I decided not to bother. I think the 3080 is better suited to gaming and the price isn't quite so eye watering. The 3090 is more for graphics developers and does not add much more percentage of gaming capability over a 3080 according to the tests I have read so far.

I was on the waiting list for a 3080 but after going from 935 in the queue to 754 in 4 weeks I cancelled the order. Nothing I am playing at the moment is punishing my 1080TI so I can wait a few months.

Well, ive downloaded it and had a first go last night.... Where the bloody hell are the space ships? I woke up near some spaceport, eventually found out how to stand up after the tutorial decided to tell me how to do a melee strike for 5 minutes! Then ran around an apartment block before blundering into a metro station. Found a spaceship showroom where i could buy a new ship for only 500000 more credits than i actually had....
Further to my last, I have just jumped in and was able to rent a couple of ships that I don't own for free.

Can I just check if you are trying to rent from the IAE2950 exhibition center?

Also there is Arena commander which is handy for single player flying. If it is available. If set on free flight mode you can use it to learn the controls and set them up to a way that you are happy with.

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
Further to my last, I have just jumped in and was able to rent a couple of ships that I don't own for free.

Can I just check if you are trying to rent from the IAE2950 exhibition center?

Also there is Arena commander which is handy for single player flying. If it is available. If set on free flight mode you can use it to learn the controls and set them up to a way that you are happy with.

I have no idea where i was lol - Is the exhibition centre one of the places you can spawn in?

I was going to get the 3090, but having seen the reviews I decided not to bother. I think the 3080 is better suited to gaming and the price isn't quite so eye watering. The 3090 is more for graphics developers and does not add much more percentage of gaming capability over a 3080 according to the tests I have read so far.

I was on the waiting list for a 3080 but after going from 935 in the queue to 754 in 4 weeks I cancelled the order. Nothing I am playing at the moment is punishing my 1080TI so I can wait a few months.
AMD RX 6800 XT? Not that you can buy one of these either at the moment - performance bang for buck is higher than the 3080 though. Much more memory too which seems to be the way things are going from the game performance side of things.

The Xbox controller is the easiest to use, just plug it in and Windows recognises it

I've not even got an Xbox, I just use the controller for stuff like Tomb Raider

AMD RX 6800 XT? Not that you can buy one of these either at the moment - performance bang for buck is higher than the 3080 though. Much more memory too which seems to be the way things are going from the game performance side of things.

I'm still running a Radeon 7970, 6gb of memory seemed a lot when I bought it, it's really the minimum now

I have no idea where i was lol - Is the exhibition centre one of the places you can spawn in?

It is located at New Babbage which is one of the ice planets.

One of the issues that they are going to have is that it is all well and good having a massive universe with amazing visuals and physics and real world feel. But that is for a seasoned player, someone who knows what they are doing.

But if a new player has to wake up in a hab, dress, find an elevator, grapple with the maze of coridors, spend 10 minutes working out the metro routes, finally make it to a ship, buy the ship using a pop up screen, get back on a metro train, finally make it to the starport, spawn the ship, use a system of security gates and elevators to find their ship and then somehow start it with a set of controls / button that are about 100-150 in number.
And then get the hanger bay doors to open using the comms system, wobble around, crash the ship and have to try again???????

They will **** that game off at the high port.

I really really want to like Star Citizen - it is exactly what I want from a game - but I have watched some gameplay and it seems very spartan. Plus the price is high for something unfinished and, from what I understand, I would still have to spend a lot more on ships etc. once in. All this for something that may never even launch.

Roll on Cyberpunk

I really really want to like Star Citizen - it is exactly what I want from a game - but I have watched some gameplay and it seems very spartan. Plus the price is high for something unfinished and, from what I understand, I would still have to spend a lot more on ships etc. once in. All this for something that may never even launch.

Roll on Cyberpunk

You can still get Elite Dangerous for free today, that's worth more than the price of admission

I'm still running a Radeon 7970, 6gb of memory seemed a lot when I bought it, it's really the minimum now
I'm obviously a caveman, nvidia GeForce GTX 680 with 2GB memory :) Am considering purchasing a HOTAS joystick but there are none available just now. Thrustmaster, Logitech etc. all sold out.

I'm obviously a caveman, nvidia GeForce GTX 680 with 2GB memory :) Am considering purchasing a HOTAS joystick but there are none available just now. Thrustmaster, Logitech etc. all sold out.
The lockdowns have created a false market - it's exactly the same for driving/race sim gear too, high prices, low availability.

Now is a terrible time to buy anything 'Sim' or to upgrade - new VR sets are out too - HP Reverb G2 is just landing and all the other major players have decent upgrades (not quite next gen as yet) due out soon.

I plan to sit on my hands until at least Spring next year. So much will have changed by then.

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
It is located at New Babbage which is one of the ice planets.

One of the issues that they are going to have is that it is all well and good having a massive universe with amazing visuals and physics and real world feel. But that is for a seasoned player, someone who knows what they are doing.

But if a new player has to wake up in a hab, dress, find an elevator, grapple with the maze of coridors, spend 10 minutes working out the metro routes, finally make it to a ship, buy the ship using a pop up screen, get back on a metro train, finally make it to the starport, spawn the ship, use a system of security gates and elevators to find their ship and then somehow start it with a set of controls / button that are about 100-150 in number.
And then get the hanger bay doors to open using the comms system, wobble around, crash the ship and have to try again???????

They will **** that game off at the high port.

Thats it in a nutshell. It starts off with no hints or tips etc as to what to do next. y want to entice new players in, they REALLY need to create a tutorial.

Thats it in a nutshell. It starts off with no hints or tips etc as to what to do next. y want to entice new players in, they REALLY need to create a tutorial.
Reminds me of...

Latest Threads