Casual Game Chat Thread.

If I ever meet you in real life you're getting glassed for that.
I forgot to say, it's quite a good feeling when you are smashing Johnny foreigners alles uber der platz on online seasons or tournaments. Has a competitive edge to it if you are that way inclined.

Ritch

LE
Loved Black Flag, though it's not aged well. I love the idea of little side missions and elements like the ship and such.

I find myself drifting back to the older games these days. All the new stuff is great for graphics and such but nothing seems to have the depth of story I need.
Agreed about aging well. If I ever revist it, I stick to plundering treasure from ships and taking Man o War ships in my humble vessel.

The only recent game that I can think of that provides a truly great story is Red Dead 2.

mattB101

Old-Salt
Agreed about aging well. If I ever revist it, I stick to plundering treasure from ships and taking Man o War ships in my humble vessel.

The only recent game that I can think of that provides a truly great story is Red Dead 2.
For me a game with a really good story was Kingdom Come Deliverance. More of a niche game but good in every way when it came to combat, story and realism.

Ritch

LE
For me a game with a really good story was Kingdom Come Deliverance. More of a niche game but good in every way when it came to combat, story and realism.
I haven't played that. I should have included the words "recent games that I have played" as I bet there are more out there which I am ignorant of. :)

Just downloaded COD Warzone, great game for free but I do get slaughtered playing solo by the groups of 3 - managed an 8th place which should have been a 7th as I shot the guy in the back twice with a shotgun only for him to turn and machine gun my ass.

I am shit at these Battle Royale when I dont run and hide.

Also, for anyone interested in DCS - one of their third party developers has started a Eurofighter model. Probably 12 months off release but as a study sim it will be fantastic I am sure!

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
I dug out F.E.A.R the other day - still gives me shivers when the little girl appears....

What do you think about the story of The Witcher 3?

I'm about 40 hours in. Not played the previous two, but I'm finding it almost story heavy. Depending where you are, you might play for an hour but spend two thirds of it getting through cut scenes as you need to go through all the dialogue options in case you miss something.

I'm about 40 hours in. Not played the previous two, but I'm finding it almost story heavy. Depending where you are, you might play for an hour but spend two thirds of it getting through cut scenes as you need to go through all the dialogue options in case you miss something.
The story plays a massive part in all the Witcher games and is developed very well throughout. Some good social commentary too.

I've never found it too heavy myself and feel it supports the excellent gameplay nicely. The DLC is excellent too, especially Hearts of Stone.

I'd avoid playing on Death March difficulty until you have completed it once and then do it on New Game+. More rewarding and survivable.

Stick with the game, it's great but it's not the best for a quick hour long bash. More like big binge sessions.

Got any other games on the go? Red Dead Redemption 2 is good for plot and playability too.

The story plays a massive part in all the Witcher games and is developed very well throughout. Some good social commentary too.

I've never found it too heavy myself and feel it supports the excellent gameplay nicely. The DLC is excellent too, especially Hearts of Stone.

I'd avoid playing on Death March difficulty until you have completed it once and then do it on New Game+. More rewarding and survivable.

Stick with the game, it's great but it's not the best for a quick hour long bash. More like big binge sessions.

Got any other games on the go? Red Dead Redemption 2 is good for plot and playability too.
I quite enjoyed the offshoot Gwent standalone game for a while until they fiddlefucktated it into a boring, overcomplicated P2W MTG-alike mess.

Ritch

LE
Has anyone got eyes on SnowRunner? It's the follow on from MudRunner. I've got it pre-ordered for release on the 28th of April and I'm looking forward to it. This along with Microsoft's Flight Sim are my two definite purchases this year.

4(T)

LE
Has anyone played We Happy Few? Very tempted to get it, as its currently at a massive discount on Steam.

I've just downloaded it for free via gamepass. Reviews seem to say it starts well but eventually becomes tedious. Can't fault the originality of concept and the art direction though.

4(T)

LE

I've recently finished it and the two DLC (only a few years after the hype; I like being current with game trends!).

For a game that has cult following (or rather the books, series, etc) and hundreds of awards and plaudits, I found it to be a bit of a curate's egg - excellent in some parts, rather cr*p in others.

On the plus side, the game presentation is superb - the maps, the towns, the strumpets, the NPC detailing, the proper adult language. Its reasonably open-world, with lots to do.

I thought some of the NPC characterisation and voice acting was really superb - people like the Bloody Baron. I don't know what the game is like in other languages, but they evidently used the whole panoply of British Isles accents and dialects.

On the negative side, its painfully obvious that it was supposed to be a much bigger, more complex game, but that they evidently halted development and chucked it out to the market. You can tell be the hundreds of unused location, the dead-end nature of many of the quests, and the way that conversations and choices seem laden with implication - but nothing ever happens, etc. No spoiler, but the developers certainly botched the way the main story ends and leaves you in one of the DLC. Weird.

The game seems to have an identity crisis; is it supposed to be an epic like Skyrim, or is it a spoof of the genre? The jokes, references, easter eggs are fine, but eventually they add to the lack of immersion in the main story.

Your player character Geralt seems dull and boring as ditchwater. No spoiler, but the ghost body swap sequence in one of the DLCs really shows this up (especially in the romance option tacked onto it).

I know these are cult fantasy novels, but I felt the story was absurd and had more plot holes than a fishing net.

Overall its still a good-looking and entertaining adventure game, particularly the Blood and Wine DLC.

Latest Threads