Casual Game Chat Thread.

Torn. See signature block. Anything that runs a browser.
Can't really see it working on my ZX Spectrum though, that technically runs a browser...

I started playing "The Walking Dead - Saints and Sinners" in VR on my HTC Vive at the weekend. It's good to finally get a VR game that feels like a triple A title rather than an indie demo or conversion of an older game. It is truly terrifying in places when you're scavenging in some abandoned house and the undead creep up on you or when the church bells chime which brings them out en masse.
It's also extremely violent, if a zombie gets close to you then you can grab it by the head using the grip buttons on the controller, then drive a knife/screwdriver/broken bottle through its head with the other hand with sickening feedback through the controller as you break the skull. Same with the baseball bat with nails in it, crowbar or axe that you have to swing with both hands and often it gets stuck in the face of the undead you just hit with it, meaning you have to yank backwards to pull it out.
If it was a standard game it would be average, but in VR it works really well, definitely recommended!

TamH70

MIA
Following on from my last, I've built (ish) my new AMD-based PC, reusing as many bits as possible from the old one, including the massive Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced case. My Sandisk SSD is missing in action, which is pretty typical of it, I nearly set the thing (the whole PC) on fire (luckily I'm quick at switching off/disconnecting before things burst into flames), there is a four-pin plug socket on the motherboard which should have something in it according to the diagram in my user manual, but hasn't, and it still works. Ish.

It seems to be a lot quieter than the old Intel-based system that lived in the case, which is nice. Half my memory that I wanted to use isn't working - Windows 10 gave me an ongoing succession of Stop Code "Memory Management" issues, which is nice. WTF is wrong with the memory you Windows-selling dicks? I took out two of the DIMMS just to see if it fixed THAT problem for now, which it did, funnily enough.

Then, of course, once I'd sorted that shit out, however temporarily or permanently that may be, Microsoft wouldn't let me reactivate Windows 10 because of the hardware changes. No shit, Sherlock, it's got a new CPU and motherboard with all the associated gubbins those things have. I had to dig out my old Windows 7 product key, which I'd used previously to successfully activate my old system by taking advantage of the free upgrade to Windows 10 offer, and it worked. Eventually.

The side panels are still off because I'm pondering on powering the PC down, taking the Sandisk SSD out of it, whacking it in the microwave for thirty seconds and smashing the glowing remnants of the drive with a hammer. I might just switch the cables about a bit and see if that works first though. I've still some jobs left to do on the system, but since I'm using it to type this, things are going a lot better than I expected. And I managed not to break any pins on the motherboard, or the extremely fiddly AMD Ryzen CPU that's plugged into it. YAY!!!

On the looking for a game for a tablet that's a bit strategic and the like, that was mentioned on the last page, I think, I can recommend this:

Final Fantasy Tactics War of the Lions. Bloody good game, engrossing as all heck, huge cast of characters to mess around with, but be aware the Android version still doesn't have cloud saving, which means if your tablet breaks or you uninstall the thing, you will lose your progress.

endure

GCM
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Gen2 8 Core AM4 CPU
ASUS X470 PRIME X470-PRO Motherboard - Black
Sapphire RX 580 8GB GDDR5 GFX
NZXT H510 - Compact ATX Mid-Tower - White
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB memory kit - White
Corsair CSSD-F480GBMP510 Force Series MP510 480 GB NVMe
WD 2 TB Performance Hard Drive - Black
DeepCool CAPTAIN 240 EX AIO Cooling - White

It felt odd going back to AMD after the Intel years, but has proven a worthwhile upgrade and all-round boost to gaming quality and speed.
Did you consider any other CPUs? The Ryzen 5 3600 is about the same price but a later generation although with 2 less cores

SamCactus [2489223] - you have mail.

Did you consider any other CPUs? The Ryzen 5 3600 is about the same price but a later generation although with 2 less cores
I went with a friend's recommendation having seen his new PC performance. I'm not too fussed over the differences with the 3600.

TamH70

MIA
I went with a friend's recommendation having seen his new PC performance. I'm not too fussed over the differences with the 3600.
I got the 3600x for about eighteen quid once I'd done some horse-trading at CeX. The 2700x CPU was roughly the same price so I thought it best to get a newer generation model. I think I paid more for the CPU cooler than I did for the processor in hard cash.

Enjoying the Modern Warfare campaign. Multiplayer and SpecOps are okay too..... though I still don't get why they keep putting the LSW and FAMAS in the games.

TamH70

MIA
Enjoying the Modern Warfare campaign. Multiplayer and SpecOps are okay too..... though I still don't get why they keep putting the LSW and FAMAS in the games.
Tradition, innit? There would be wailing if they got removed.

I really enjoyed the campaign, first CoD game I've played since the first Modern Warfare way back when.
I've just got back into Red Dead Redemption 2 over the weekend after being too distracted by life and other games over the last six months, finished the main story now and on the epilogue. I'm still in awe of just how much detail they crammed into the game and how well written it is.

Ritch

LE
I really enjoyed the campaign, first CoD game I've played since the first Modern Warfare way back when.
I've just got back into Red Dead Redemption 2 over the weekend after being too distracted by life and other games over the last six months, finished the main story now and on the epilogue. I'm still in awe of just how much detail they crammed into the game and how well written it is.
I've done the campaign three times and I still found new stuff. Now I've completed it the third time, I'm still playing and exploring/hunting. I've found all the unique weapons like axes and rare rifles and shotguns too.

Motaka

Clanker
Kingdom Come: Deliverance is available on the Epic game store for the princely sum of £0.

Great game but only came alive for me when I played it on Hardcore mode. On normal, I found it kinda meh.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance is available on the Epic game store for the princely sum of £0.

Great game but only came alive for me when I played it on Hardcore mode. On normal, I found it kinda meh.
Great game but the control system is appalling. I appreciate and like that they aimed for realism and to make it almost a medieval combat simulator (controls wise) but it's awful.

Motaka

Clanker
Great game but the control system is appalling. I appreciate and like that they aimed for realism and to make it almost a medieval combat simulator (controls wise) but it's awful.
I thought it was decent, much better than the button mashing that was Skyrim.

We shall have to agree to disagree. As I felt it failed miserably.

Such is life eh.

Ritch

LE
If anyone has played Spintires: MudRunner - the next-gen version is called SnowRunner and let me say, compared to the first game, it looks 100% better. It's out in April.

4(T)

LE

I just downloaded a supermodel chick with OP magic spells that vaporised opponents; I didn't have to get my hands dirty doing any actual fighting.

Skyrim has everything covered....

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer

the Division 2 is £2.50 for the next day or so. I paid £12 for it and I've more than had my moneys worth. in fact, I'm fiding it quite addictive...

they also have several models of THAT rifle to choose from that you can acquire....

Latest Threads