Casual Game Chat Thread.

Huh. You count yourself lucky that you're not trying to finish off Metro Exodus. Three QTE thingys. In a row. That you have to perform perfectly. Or a gorillaghoul batters you to death, or you fall off a balcony and go splat, or you fall off a balcony and get impaled through the guts on a nice big piece of rebar.
I do indeed count myself lucky. I've been trying to crack Kerbal Space program for years and I still can't get the hang of controlled burns and other techy shit to actually get to another planet.

I do indeed count myself lucky. I've been trying to crack Kerbal Space program for years and I still can't get the hang of controlled burns and other techy shit to actually get to another planet.
KSP and Bomber Crew are two of the most frustrating games I own, yet I still enjoy them even though I'm terrible at both of them.

KSP and Bomber Crew are two of the most frustrating games I own, yet I still enjoy them even though I'm terrible at both of them.
Keyboard and mouse somehow lacks the flexibility needed for KSP but with so many keybinds to remember it's necessary.

I think the look of horror on their faces in the lower right of the screen as you crash is an excellent touch

TamH70

MIA
Further to my last post, which was about my travails in completing Metro Exodus and being frustrated by QTE (Quick Time Events for the uninitiated - in this specific case hammer the E key to not die) against gorillaghoul nasties, the very next time I booted up the game I finished that mission in about a minute.

It's a stupid way to finish a really good, atmospheric and engaging game. At least let me shoot or blow up the same kind of thing I've happily shot or blown up all the way through the latter bit of the game.

Bluenose2

Old-Salt
I've just belatedly started Assassins Creed Odyssey.

It looks amazing, but has anyone else noticed how badly structured and buggy it is? Quality Control at Ubisoft must have taken the month off.

It looks amazing, but has anyone else noticed how badly structured and buggy it is? Quality Control at Ubisoft must have taken the month off.
It just felt like they got 90% finished to a very very high quality and then the last 10% became "Feckinghellgetitfinishedandreleasedasweareoutoftimeandubisofthqwantresults" and the game suffered. It's good fun to play though.

Bluenose2

Old-Salt
It just felt like they got 90% finished to a very very high quality and then the last 10% became "Feckinghellgetitfinishedandreleasedasweareoutoftimeandubisofthqwantresults" and the game suffered. It's good fun to play though.
Spot on. It needed a lot more play testing and time to iron out the quirks. The game world is mega though. It's promising to equal the one earlier in the series that was set in ancient Rome but had rewound all the famous archaeological sites by 500 years.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer

Same thing happened with Elite III (First Encounters?). Brandon proposed a major step forward from Elite II, but to me it just seemed to be Elite II again. Same galaxy map (but it was long ago and I cannot remember anything else). And apparently very buggy (but I didn't get that far).

It took Braben decades to move on to the recent Dangerous reboot.Dangerous

Spot on. It needed a lot more play testing and time to iron out the quirks. The game world is mega though. It's promising to equal the one earlier in the series that was set in ancient Rome but had rewound all the famous archaeological sites by 500 years.
I haven't played all the AC games (missed Origins and wish I had missed 3) but AC2, Black Flag, Sydicate and Odyssey are very good story wise.

I fear that Biggles may not be able to nurse the much abused 'Outrage Bus' back to base. Ooops.
Untitled.png

4(T)

LE
I've just finished The Outer Worlds, which i downloaded as part of the £1 initial subscription to Xbox for PC.

Its a reasonably enjoyable romp. In my opinion, nothing like a Fallout title, but very much like a Borderlands DLC.

The game is very linear, with only quickie side missions to pad things out. Its also very short; I ran out of side missions, so did the next main quest mission expecting a new chapter to open up but - nope - quick boss fight and then the epilogue commentary.

Like a lot of modern games, it feels a bit as if they were going to make a big sweeping epic game, but then just ran out of money, topped and tailed it, and pushed it out the door. None of the plot options seem to do much, and most of the equipment, companions and skills you pick up seem superfluous. I played on normal skill level, yet I didn't use a single "medkit", nor a "special ability" nor any upgraded weapons, nor the bonuses/skill of companions.

Still, can't complain for £1.

Next up, for my £3 subscription this month is Metro Exodus.

I've just finished The Outer Worlds, which i downloaded as part of the £1 initial subscription to Xbox for PC.

Its a reasonably enjoyable romp. In my opinion, nothing like a Fallout title, but very much like a Borderlands DLC.

The game is very linear, with only quickie side missions to pad things out. Its also very short; I ran out of side missions, so did the next main quest mission expecting a new chapter to open up but - nope - quick boss fight and then the epilogue commentary.

Like a lot of modern games, it feels a bit as if they were going to make a big sweeping epic game, but then just ran out of money, topped and tailed it, and pushed it out the door. None of the plot options seem to do much, and most of the equipment, companions and skills you pick up seem superfluous. I played on normal skill level, yet I didn't use a single "medkit", nor a "special ability" nor any upgraded weapons, nor the bonuses/skill of companions.

Metro Exodus is very good. Bit crepy at times and sometimes you'd like a little more freedom to roam but it's enjoyable.

TamH70

MIA

All of that's true, apart from it being nothing like a Fallout title. It's what a proper 3D Fallout game could have been like without Bethesda Softworks stomping all over it - the fact that the game series' original creators made the thing is a really big clue on that score. Plus you name me a modern BS-era Fallout game that doesn't crash every five minutes from launch. Go on, I'll wait.

I agree with you most on the length issue - there was almost another full chapter set in the HQ city for the Board, but that got cut for time, meaning they had a really nice city layout without much of anything to do there apart from the main path mission.

Leaving all that aside, I still love the game. I said as much in the last post I made on it. The only complaint I have with it is that I think that its existence pretty much rules out Obsidian coming back and doing a proper sequel to New Vegas - I bet a lot of the story ideas therein would have cropped up in that. And since Obsidian got bought by Microsoft, that makes it increasingly less likely as Bethesda Softworks is one of their biggest competitors in the RPG game.

All of that's true, apart from it being nothing like a Fallout title. It's what a proper 3D Fallout game could have been like without Bethesda Softworks stomping all over it - the fact that the game series' original creators made the thing is a really big clue on that score. Plus you name me a modern BS-era Fallout game that doesn't crash every five minutes from launch. Go on, I'll wait.

I agree with you most on the length issue - there was almost another full chapter set in the HQ city for the Board, but that got cut for time, meaning they had a really nice city layout without much of anything to do there apart from the main path mission.

Leaving all that aside, I still love the game. I said as much in the last post I made on it. The only complaint I have with it is that I think that its existence pretty much rules out Obsidian coming back and doing a proper sequel to New Vegas - I bet a lot of the story ideas therein would have cropped up in that. And since Obsidian got bought by Microsoft, that makes it increasingly less likely as Bethesda Softworks is one of their biggest competitors in the RPG game.
Fall Out 4 on the Xbox One didn’t crash every five minutes, it Did have some quirky bugs now and again.

My bold. Which is a shame as that was by far the best of the modern Fallout games. 3 was good, but far too buggy, 4 was too dumbed down and 76 is utter dogshit.

TamH70

MIA
Fall Out 4 on the Xbox One didn’t crash every five minutes, it Did have some quirky bugs now and again.
I've only played Fallout 3 and New Vegas on consoles - the Xbox 360 for F3 - which was a relatively painless experience, and the PS3 for F: NV - of which no more will be said as the experience of playing through the final battle at Hoover Dam would drive a saint to serial killing.

I've played every Bethesda Softworks Fallout game bar 76 on PC, and the experience has been almost uniformly that they're buggy as the world's biggest termite mound. I've had crashes from running NV in particular that meant I had to basically rebuild my entire system's OS software. If it wasn't for mod support I'd have called Exterminatus on every PC I've run them on and called it the Emperor's Will.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer

£33 ATM down from 100 atm on hamazon.

Ritch

LE
Guys, I need some help from those in the know as I don't have a clue with PC's, associated tech and everything.

I'm a console gamer and I love playing GTA but I really want to start playing it with some mods, like the LSPD-FR mod and thought about getting a cheap gaming PC - refurbished. Now I've found a couple. I want to know if the following specs are any good? I'm not bothered about ultra high end stuff - I just want something to play the game comfortably.

Help greatly appreciated. Basically I have a budget of about £300. Not much, I know but again, I'm mainly a console gamer so I wouldn't be playing this a huge amount. If anyone can recommend a complete PC package for GTA, that'd be mega.

Screenshot_20191228-201617.jpg

Last edited:

TamH70

MIA
Guys, I need some help from those in the know as I don't have a clue with PC's, associated tech and everything.

I'm a console gamer and I love playing GTA but I really want to start playing it with some mods, like the LSPD-FR mod and thought about getting a cheap gaming PC - refurbished. Now I've found a couple. I want to know if the following specs are any good? I'm not bothered about ultra high end stuff - I just want something to play the game comfortably.

Help greatly appreciated. Basically I have a budget of about £300. Not much, I know but again, I'm mainly a console gamer so I wouldn't be playing this a huge amount. If anyone can recommend a complete PC package for GTA, that'd be mega.

View attachment 440039
Hmm. Dat's a tricky one, Ritch.

Dell, so it's basically bullet-proof. Terabyte hard-drive so you've got lots of storage space, and 8 Gigs of RAM, which also sounds reasonable, but your link posted above doesn't say which type. Could be DDR2, which is practically palaeolithic at this point in time, or DDR3, which isn't quite so bad. This handy thing here:

is a link to the PDF guidebook for the PC from Dell themselves, and they contradict themselves about that matter, and yeah, that thing does make a difference when it comes to gaming. The two-gigabyte graphics card seems stingy if you want to run GTA V on it.

Have a look at the file and tell me if the one you're thinking of buying has the mini-tower or SFF format, which you should be able to do as it has pictures of both versions for comparison, that is if the listing you've seen has some showing you what you might be getting. (Mainly because SFF computers are harder to modify later on, especially ones from Dell.)

Ritch

LE
Hmm. Dat's a tricky one, Ritch.

Dell, so it's basically bullet-proof. Terabyte hard-drive so you've got lots of storage space, and 8 Gigs of RAM, which also sounds reasonable, but your link posted above doesn't say which type. Could be DDR2, which is practically palaeolithic at this point in time, or DDR3, which isn't quite so bad. This handy thing here:

is a link to the PDF guidebook for the PC from Dell themselves, and they contradict themselves about that matter, and yeah, that thing does make a difference when it comes to gaming. The two-gigabyte graphics card seems stingy if you want to run GTA V on it.

Have a look at the file and tell me if the one you're thinking of buying has the mini-tower or SFF format, which you should be able to do as it has pictures of both versions for comparison, that is if the listing you've seen has some showing you what you might be getting. (Mainly because SFF computers are harder to modify later on, especially ones from Dell.)
Apparently it is a mini-tower from the listings.

To be honest mate, it's all a bit daunting for me and I'm thinking I may stick with my console. I have been desperate to get my hands on the LSPD mod for a while and PC gaming is the only way to do it but A) PC stuff goes over my head completely and B) I have a very limited budget. I've had a little look round and it seems like these set ups that are being sold are enough to run GTA on the minimum settings and not have room for anything at all after.

Latest Threads