Casual Game Chat Thread.

I did the second beta and enjoyed it right up until I met a boss.
It makes little sense to me to make such a realistic looking game and then have bosses that can have 5-6 mags of assault rifle ammo fired at them including headshots and they are still 50% health.
Such a lazy game mechanic IMO.

I quite enjoyed the rest though, even though I usually hate 3rd person only shooters.

Trans-sane

LE
Book Reviewer
I've just noticed the announcement trailer for a game I'm already rather excited about. Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines 2. Now the title doesn't exactly trip off the tongue I'll admit, but the first Bloodlines was in every respect a flawed masterpiece. The gameplay was entertaining and challenging, the story was immersive and the graphics (for the day it was made) were superb. Add in the best sound track in a game that ISN'T GTA and you have to wonder what was wrong with it. Answer: being published too early before the publisher went bankrupt (and took the developer with it), there being a long list of bugs ranging from irritating graphical glitches to outright fatal ones that killed all game progress (in my case I never managed to make it into the final scenes. It always crashed when I tried talking to the taxi driver).

The two minute video indicates it will be a first person game, the action seems to be melee heavy and it hints at a lot of non-violent interactions with a diverse cast. Due to drop April 2020.

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
I have been enjoying DCS with the F-14 add on for the past couple of days. Great fun getting my Top Gun on.
I have managed to land on the carrier 3 times so far, although that is in calm sees during the day. It's bloody hard though as the Tomcat is not really all that nimble.
I just added a 43"TV to my game seat / cockpit and it's all looking and playing perfectly in 4k.
I’ve got dcs but never got into it - not sure it can be described as a casual game :)

I’ve got dcs but never got into it - not sure it can be described as a casual game :)
Errrrr yeah, good point well made.
It is probably the most non casual game out there.

It is a perfect analogy gor hardcore PC gaming though.
Expensive, a colossal pain in the arse to set up and learn.
But when you do put the time and effort in, you are rewarded by something that is simply stunning, perfect and beautiful. The sim has an ingame walkman and you can download and play various songs whilst flying so obviously at taxi and take off I am playing the opening music to Top Gun.
And if on the rare occasion I score a kill and manage to fly back to base (difficult to say the leadt), I get to FF the virtual tape to Dangerzone and hopefully land safely.
It all adds up to one of those perfect moments in gaming.

I've just noticed the announcement trailer for a game I'm already rather excited about. Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines 2. Now the title doesn't exactly trip off the tongue I'll admit, but the first Bloodlines was in every respect a flawed masterpiece. The gameplay was entertaining and challenging, the story was immersive and the graphics (for the day it was made) were superb. Add in the best sound track in a game that ISN'T GTA and you have to wonder what was wrong with it. Answer: being published too early before the publisher went bankrupt (and took the developer with it), there being a long list of bugs ranging from irritating graphical glitches to outright fatal ones that killed all game progress (in my case I never managed to make it into the final scenes. It always crashed when I tried talking to the taxi driver).

The two minute video indicates it will be a first person game, the action seems to be melee heavy and it hints at a lot of non-violent interactions with a diverse cast. Due to drop April 2020.
I saw that on Steam yesterday. It looks tempting as the original was excellent, if flawed (bit like Alpha Protocol, brilliant story and concept but the team let it down).

Having liked the recent Tomb Raider games on the Xbox One, I decided to buy the latest one - Shadow of the Tomb Raider and so far, I'm thoroughly disappointed. This one suffers from clunky controls, a really poor follow on plot to the series and is just a "jump there, shoot him and repeat" kind of game.

Now I'm aware that playing on an original Xbox One, the graphics and textures aren't going to be absolute top notch but I'm staggered at just how poor they are in this game. How can Rockstar create an entire open world with beautiful scenery, graphics and the like and a lineal Tomb Raider looks like it was knocked up on a tablet?

I've been thinking about upgrading to an One S or a One X but with the Xbox Two rumoured to be unveiled at this year's E3, I don't want to waste my cash on something that will be obsolete in a years time.

Having liked the recent Tomb Raider games on the Xbox One, I decided to buy the latest one - Shadow of the Tomb Raider and so far, I'm thoroughly disappointed. This one suffers from clunky controls, a really poor follow on plot to the series and is just a "jump there, shoot him and repeat" kind of game.

Now I'm aware that playing on an original Xbox One, the graphics and textures aren't going to be absolute top notch but I'm staggered at just how poor they are in this game. How can Rockstar create an entire open world with beautiful scenery, graphics and the like and a lineal Tomb Raider looks like it was knocked up on a tablet?

I've been thinking about upgrading to an One S or a One X but with the Xbox Two rumoured to be unveiled at this year's E3, I don't want to waste my cash on something that will be obsolete in a years time.
Part of me was tempted by that, glad I didn't. Not keen on a return to the PSX days of clunky controls and boxy Lara.

As to the next gen consoles coming soon (in gaming terms), I'm betting it'll not bring massive improvement over current gen.

Playing my first Expedition mission in Far Cry: New Dawn, and I got my ass kicked. Twice. Idiot me decided to get caught too early, reinforcements got summoned, and even though I killed lots of them they still turned me into a human Gruyere cheese.

Mind you, the location's pretty cool - a giant aircraft carrier, with a sky ramp - I'd say Q E class but it's got some weird French-sounding name.

The general gameplay is pretty good, I love the RPG elements brought in to freshen up the game, and weapon crafting is fun. The base upgrading is a lot less painful than it was in Fallout 4 as well.

I've noticed a lot of whining online about the enemies being hard to kill and this is a bad thing, which I find fricking hilarious. These divvies have obviously never played really hard games like the STALKER series or both Metro titles. Having to kill a Blind Dog in STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl with just a Makarov pistol would blow their tiny little minds.

Just keep shooting the bad guys and they will drop.

Playing my first Expedition mission in Far Cry: New Dawn, and I got my ass kicked. Twice. Idiot me decided to get caught too early, reinforcements got summoned, and even though I killed lots of them they still turned me into a human Gruyere cheese.

Mind you, the location's pretty cool - a giant aircraft carrier, with a sky ramp - I'd say Q E class but it's got some weird French-sounding name.

The general gameplay is pretty good, I love the RPG elements brought in to freshen up the game, and weapon crafting is fun. The base upgrading is a lot less painful than it was in Fallout 4 as well.

I've noticed a lot of whining online about the enemies being hard to kill and this is a bad thing, which I find fricking hilarious. These divvies have obviously never played really hard games like the STALKER series or both Metro titles. Having to kill a Blind Dog in STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl with just a Makarov pistol would blow their tiny little minds.

Just keep shooting the bad guys and they will drop.
Metro Exodus when you have used up all your ammunition and are pondering how the hell to kill a horde of mutants with just a rifle butt.

Finished my first go-round with Far Cry: New Dawn. And it's further proof that most "professional" games "critics" could not find their arse with a map, a compass, a surveyor's theodolite and a sodding GPS!
It doesn't have any of the forced capture scenes that almost ruined Far Cry 5 - Jacob Seed I'm looking at you, you bastard, but it has one step back I didn't like much - you can only have one AI team-mate rather than Far Cry 5's two. And if I'm being picky I wasn't fond of the music - Dan Romer's soundtrack to Far Cry 5 is far superior.

I'd actually pay for more story-based DLC or even a short sequel campaign to the game, but I'm not sure the Far Cry franchise can continue in main-game rather than side-game form, because the end of 5 pretty much stopped that from happening in the series' universe. It's the same kind of problem that the makers of
Middle-Earth: Shadow of War and Saint's Row IV caused for the owners of the respective franchises - the end of the games put a stone-cold full stop to the games' plots.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer

Amazon are knocking out the M65 Pro for £33 in the sale. 'only' 12000 dpi compared to 16000 on the newer Elite but when are you going to use 16k, realistically? had this now for over a year and I love it. and that's after a G9x, G700, and Steelseries 300. this is the best of the bunch IMO.

Finished the story campaign and a few of the Deluxe Edition DLC maps for Far Cry 3. Having recently done so for both 5 and New Dawn, one seriously misses powered flight as the map is fairly big and the road vehicles are particularly pony. The plot is fairly decent, though I can understand why a lot of liberals didn't like it all that much. I mean, a white guy learns to use automatic weapons, hand grenades and pistols very quickly and picks up the rudiments of IED and flamethrower use as well, that's so unrealistic!

Finished the story campaign and a few of the Deluxe Edition DLC maps for Far Cry 3. Having recently done so for both 5 and New Dawn, one seriously misses powered flight as the map is fairly big and the road vehicles are particularly pony. The plot is fairly decent, though I can understand why a lot of liberals didn't like it all that much. I mean, a white guy learns to use automatic weapons, hand grenades and pistols very quickly and picks up the rudiments of IED and flamethrower use as well, that's so unrealistic!
Most inner city youngsters manage those skills by about 8 years of age these days.... Or so it seems

Quite. They've come in handy when I've gone out carjacking with the lads.
Oh, nice. Can you nick me a Porsche Cayenne Turbo next time you're on the rob? I really want to get my Chelseaist of all the Chelsea Tractors groove on.

Oh, nice. Can you nick me a Porsche Cayenne Turbo next time you're on the rob? I really want to get my Chelseaist of all the Chelsea Tractors groove on.
I'll try but there's not many of those in my hunting ground... How about a nice Fiat Punto? The tyres are slashed and the windscreen needs replacing after Machete Mike got a bit too enthusiastic but it's a nice little run around!

He would but sadly they ain't very motability friendly. Probably better asking for a Dacia Duster or Nissan Juke

He would but sadly they ain't very motability friendly. Probably better asking for a Dacia Duster or Nissan Juke
Get stuffed toy cheeky fit - I can still climb into a Lamborghini Sesto Elements .. Granted it takes me twenty minutes and an international rescue squad to get me out but that's a different story.

Get stuffed toy cheeky fit - I can still climb into a Lamborghini Sesto Elements .. Granted it takes me twenty minutes and an international rescue squad to get me out but that's a different story.
Still doesn't change the fact you are an free wheeling advert for euthanasia