Casual Game Chat Thread.

Finally got Far Cry 5 thanks to the Black Friday sale on Uplay. It's a fantastic game. Changes a lot in terms of gameplay from the last instalment, and I think it's got a far better story. Some here may disagree, but you're entitled to be wrong, I'm not stopping you. :-D

And in terms of the soundtrack, especially the original songs, it's hands down the best that I've encountered in a Ubisoft game. If some of the hymns I had to sing at mass when I were but a lad were as good as "Let The Water Wash Away Your Sins", or "Keep Your Rifle By Your Side", I'd probably still be going to services.

I haven't used many of the Guns For Hire/Fangs For Hire sidekicks though - one of the first guys I got unlocked I've basically used for the whole game. He's got a sizeable body count, which saved me some of the bother.

The ballistic model is a bit **** though. I can squeeze the trigger of my .50 calibre semi-auto sniper rifle, nip off, make a cup of tea, and I'm still waiting for the bullet to enter my target's skull at about 200 meters distance. Ghost Recon: Wildlands does it much better.

Finally got Far Cry 5 thanks to the Black Friday sale on Uplay. It's a fantastic game. Changes a lot in terms of gameplay from the last instalment, and I think it's got a far better story. Some here may disagree, but you're entitled to be wrong, I'm not stopping you. :-D

And in terms of the soundtrack, especially the original songs, it's hands down the best that I've encountered in a Ubisoft game. If some of the hymns I had to sing at mass when I were but a lad were as good as "Let The Water Wash Away Your Sins", or "Keep Your Rifle By Your Side", I'd probably still be going to services.

I haven't used many of the Guns For Hire/Fangs For Hire sidekicks though - one of the first guys I got unlocked I've basically used for the whole game. He's got a sizeable body count, which saved me some of the bother.

The ballistic model is a bit **** though. I can squeeze the trigger of my .50 calibre semi-auto sniper rifle, nip off, make a cup of tea, and I'm still waiting for the bullet to enter my target's skull at about 200 meters distance. Ghost Recon: Wildlands does it much better.
I like the Far Cry series but I know a fair few people dislike the game.

The only thing I dislike in the game is the cutscenes. Some of them are nearly five minutes long and there's no option to skip most of thrm.

My favourite aspect was having Cheeseburger as my sidekick. A fully grown Grizzly bear. I used to love setting him on enemies.

Even though they're only pixels, I used to be gutted when they got slotted.

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer

The only thing I dislike in the game is the cutscenes. Some of them are nearly five minutes long and there's no option to skip most of thrm.

My favourite aspect was having Cheeseburger as my sidekick. A fully grown Grizzly bear. I used to love setting him on enemies.

I have FC5 but have yet to play it - do you kno wif the sidekicks work in the same way as they did on FC2? When you get killed they come and rescue you?

I have FC5 but have yet to play it - do you kno wif the sidekicks work in the same way as they did on FC2? When you get killed they come and rescue you?
There's a sidekick dog called Boomer - if you get slotted, he can run over and jump on your chest, providing magical CPR that enables you to get up and continue slotting cultists.

It's a cracking game if you can put up with the constant cut scenes.

(Spoiler for @TamH70, so don't read on if you are unaware of the ending(s)!)

I took sage internet advice and didn't bother triggering either of the two official endings by going to meet Joseph Seed. Instead I made up my own ending:

I now just bimble around with Cheeseburger or Peaches, fishing, exploring, or visiting all my new redneck friends. I try on all my new clothes, even though I can't see them (how stupid was that?), and coordinate them with those tasteless blinged-up weapons. Sometimes I re-attempt that driving challenge that I was rubbish at. For a bit of decent killing, I do one of the side quests that still spawns some of the surviving enemies, and think of inventive ways of slotting them.

Once or twice per day, I hop into a gunship and give Joseph Seed's church a thorough brassing up, just to let him know he isn't forgotten.

Far Cry 5 looked good in the trailers but I can't bring myself to buy it after feeling deflated by the previous three. I really liked the first one and the second was decent which kept me coming back to the series but I didn't like the menus in 3 and 4 or how they relentlessly hammer you with quests that keep pulling you away from whatever it was you were originally trying to do. Plus all the NPC's and civvies were just like cardboard cut outs, no interaction and they just stand there repeating the same phrase over and over, it was immersion breaking stuff. Red Dead Redemption 2 is a master class in making a game world feel "real", sure it has its bugs but it's the best example of a living, breathing game world I've seen so far (aside from The Witcher 3). Ubisoft should take note.

Far Cry 5 looked good in the trailers but I can't bring myself to buy it after feeling deflated by the previous three. I really liked the first one and the second was decent which kept me coming back to the series but I didn't like the menus in 3 and 4 or how they relentlessly hammer you with quests that keep pulling you away from whatever it was you were originally trying to do. Plus all the NPC's and civvies were just like cardboard cut outs, no interaction and they just stand there repeating the same phrase over and over, it was immersion breaking stuff. Red Dead Redemption 2 is a master class in making a game world feel "real", sure it has its bugs but it's the best example of a living, breathing game world I've seen so far (aside from The Witcher 3). Ubisoft should take note.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey is not bad as a populated world. The landscapes are magnificent, and the NPCs - whilst not perfect in modelling and facial animations* - are there in very large numbers and in a very convincing range of daily domestic activities. The city-scapes, farms and port areas are filled with people doing very convincing routines, and with a lot of varied dialogue lines.

*I think the game has the same strong touch of SJW input that ME Andromeda had. There are romance opportunities but, if you are a male character, it seems the best option is to go gay. The female characters are a bit, er, rough in terms of contemporary ideas of attractiveness. The first time I had a "romance" dialogue option pop up, I thought "you are kidding, right? This woman looks like an Afghan granny!". Oh well, lets hope that a Skyrim-style NPC mod pack eventually emerges...

RDR 2 is absolutely superb to be fair. The story is good and the online (apart from the silent protagonist thing) is good if you can avoid the griefers.

There's a sidekick dog called Boomer - if you get slotted, he can run over and jump on your chest, providing magical CPR that enables you to get up and continue slotting cultists.

It's a cracking game if you can put up with the constant cut scenes.
The abduction sections pissed me off. No avoiding or delaying them and they often come when you really can't be bothered.

However.... I'll simply explain my continued love of the game with the eternal line......

"Oh my god!!! It's a Turkey!!"

The RPG-7 launcher that had a shovel as a projectile was my favourite. Launching one of those, broadside into a bear was hilarious.

Finished both endings in Far Cry 5. Yep, I can see why a hell of a lot of people were kind of angry at them but I liked them. They both fit how the game plays out thematically speaking. Even the "secret" ending you get at the start if you don't arrest the primary antagonist is only delaying the inevitable - the Great Collapse, the nuclear annihilation, is coming anyway.

On the 15 of February next year, as it happens. Assuming no delays, which is really being brave if one is talking about a Ubisoft open-world game:

'Far Cry: New Dawn' Unveiled With Debut Trailer, Release Date Revealed

Consoles, obviously, and PC release. Nice.

Finished both endings in Far Cry 5. Yep, I can see why a hell of a lot of people were kind of angry at them but I liked them. They both fit how the game plays out thematically speaking. Even the "secret" ending you get at the start if you don't arrest the primary antagonist is only delaying the inevitable - the Great Collapse, the nuclear annihilation, is coming anyway.

On the 15 of February next year, as it happens. Assuming no delays, which is really being brave if one is talking about a Ubisoft open-world game:

'Far Cry: New Dawn' Unveiled With Debut Trailer, Release Date Revealed

Consoles, obviously, and PC release. Nice.
It's become the norm to make a Far Cry spin off in the off-year between numbered releases. This is from the studio that made FC Primal and I wasn't a fan of that to say the least.

From what I've seen on this, I'll reserve judgement until the reviews hit.

It's become the norm to make a Far Cry spin off in the off-year between numbered releases. This is from the studio that made FC Primal and I wasn't a fan of that to say the least.

From what I've seen on this, I'll reserve judgement until the reviews hit.
However bad it is, it would be hard for Ubisoft to get as much of a critical and fanbase kicking as Bethesda got for that multi-player thing masquerading as a Fallout game. I might even get the Deluxe edition depending on what the bribes are.

Besides, l have Ubisoft club units l need to burn off before the changes kick in to their scheme, so I won't be paying retail even if the game is a bit pony regardless of what edition l buy.

Just saw that the base game for Company of Heroes 2 is on offer for free from steam right now. At that price, I figure it's worth a shot.

Just saw that the base game for Company of Heroes 2 is on offer for free from steam right now. At that price, I figure it's worth a shot.
It's good but absolutely riddled with in game transactions, how they can charge what they do just for different camo schemes that make no difference to the game is beyond me. Still a very good game though, I've barely played the campaign, I just enjoy single player skirmish mode against the computer.

Latest Threads