Castro - Dead or not? Plus what happens next?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Steven, Aug 1, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The news that Fidel has handed over power (to his brother) of Cuba for the first time in 47 years has had a lot of Cuban exiles celebrating his death.

Cuban media reports that he is alive but in hospital recuperating after an operation.

Shades of the old USSR? Leader dies but they tell no one until the new guy is ready?

If/when he does shuffle of this mortal coil and Raul Castro takes over will the US just let him get on with it or could this be the next target for a bit of regime change/

http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/08/01/news/castro.php

2. Who cares what happens to Fidel. As long as those Cohiba Robustos cigars are still selling, thats all im interested in!.

3. As long as they're still rolled on the thighs of knockout Cuban lovelies , I second that too. Damn there are some good looking women there.

4. So long as they still ban the Americans from going. It's currently the best place in the world for a quiet smoke.

PB

5. It would be a little premature on the part of Cuban exiles to be throwing their caps into the air over this, as even if Fidel is heading for the departure lounge, his brother Raul - who I believe once headed Cuban Intelligence and is head of the Armed Forces - is a nasty piece of work and even more of a leftist than his brother.

6. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Well I'm not busy for the next 47 years, where do I apply?

7. The Americans are as much part of the problem as Castro, they supported the previous brutal regime of Dictator Basista, the Cuban have long memories and the clause in the original Cuban consitution gave the USA the right to intervene in the affairs of Cuba , that must rankle somewhat and smacks of imperialism.

8. I bet you that old bugger comes back and rules for another few years yet! The good ones die young and the nasty ones tend to go on forever!

9. I reckon we should have an arrse crawl in Cuba. Absolutely stunning, stunning women.

10. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Well I'm in the market for a second wife, don't see why it can't be fair Cuban lass. Count me in :wink:

(**edit*** and I suppose I can get the lay [no pun intended] of the land for when I take over as Leader :twisted: )

11. Ive just booked a trip to Cuba with Mrs Mad Moriarty. I shall smoke away and think of you all... :D

12. nah, theres no oil there so as long as the Cubans ar'nt stupido enough to start developing WMD's (which I think old georgey boy would get nervous of, only 90 miles from florida), then I think the Cubans & Cuban Commies are prity safe from the US tactic of freeing a country by blowing the s### out of its population.

is there oil there? come to think of it, I seem to remember something about there being some. the oil reserve there cannot be that large as to warrant the yanks "liberating" the country thou, at least until the gulf's oil supply dewindles.

yes, I have grown very sinical in the last 6 - 9 months.

13. You know I hadn't even thought about the possibility of oil.

It seems as if they have found a lot of oil and gas not far off the coast.

At the moment Venuzuela, China and Canada are all drilling away happily.
    It will take about 3-5 years to start extracting and shipping the stuff so it looks like georgie boy can pass the problem onto who ever takes over next.

14. Fair weather freinds eh?

He's not dead yet and the revolution will last beyond him (unlike bliar), Cuba has better life expanancy than the US, the revolution has done a great deal for the people unlike those miami slugs. Raoul is hard line but also a free marketeer expect a freeing up of the economy and more engagement from pragmatic yankee polititians whose only problem is fidels historical image with the mouth breathing US electorate.

15. Oh yes, the revolution had done so much for people that whenever they were permitted to leave, they left in droves. The secret police, what a marvellous boon. Concentration camps! Wow! People being imprisoned for listening to Western music! Fantastic! Extrajudicial executions! Disappearances! Land reform which tied farmers to the land because they were not allowed to sell or mortgage it. State-controlled press. Absolutely no freedom of speech. All great things, I'm sure you'll agree....

I was watching an interesting documentary on Dutch television about a filthy Dutch lefty who idolised Castro going to Cuba. He got a marvellous haranguing from some people in the street, who said "we want to live in a free country, not here. If you think it's so great here, why don't you stay here and I'll go to your country?" Unsurprisingly, the Dutchman declined.

Sure, the Batista government was corrupt as hell, but at least the country worked and was prosperous. Since the revolution, the government was no less corrupt, and the average man in the street probably had it significantly worse or off, and the economy is in ruins.

Raúl is himself no spring chicken, and will also pop his clogs sometime soon. Only then will the reconstruction begin.