Castro - Dead or not? Plus what happens next?

The news that Fidel has handed over power (to his brother) of Cuba for the first time in 47 years has had a lot of Cuban exiles celebrating his death.

Cuban media reports that he is alive but in hospital recuperating after an operation.

Shades of the old USSR? Leader dies but they tell no one until the new guy is ready?

If/when he does shuffle of this mortal coil and Raul Castro takes over will the US just let him get on with it or could this be the next target for a bit of regime change/

http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/08/01/news/castro.php

As long as they're still rolled on the thighs of knockout Cuban lovelies , I second that too. Damn there are some good looking women there.

It would be a little premature on the part of Cuban exiles to be throwing their caps into the air over this, as even if Fidel is heading for the departure lounge, his brother Raul - who I believe once headed Cuban Intelligence and is head of the Armed Forces - is a nasty piece of work and even more of a leftist than his brother.

The Americans are as much part of the problem as Castro, they supported the previous brutal regime of Dictator Basista, the Cuban have long memories and the clause in the original Cuban consitution gave the USA the right to intervene in the affairs of Cuba , that must rankle somewhat and smacks of imperialism.

I reckon we should have an arrse crawl in Cuba. Absolutely stunning, stunning women.

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
the_matelot said:
I reckon we should have an arrse crawl in Cuba. Absolutely stunning, stunning women.
Well I'm in the market for a second wife, don't see why it can't be fair Cuban lass. Count me in :wink:

(**edit*** and I suppose I can get the lay [no pun intended] of the land for when I take over as Leader :twisted: )

Steven said:
If/when he does shuffle of this mortal coil and Raul Castro takes over will the US just let him get on with it or could this be the next target for a bit of regime change/

nah, theres no oil there so as long as the Cubans ar'nt stupido enough to start developing WMD's (which I think old georgey boy would get nervous of, only 90 miles from florida), then I think the Cubans & Cuban Commies are prity safe from the US tactic of freeing a country by blowing the s### out of its population.

is there oil there? come to think of it, I seem to remember something about there being some. the oil reserve there cannot be that large as to warrant the yanks "liberating" the country thou, at least until the gulf's oil supply dewindles.

yes, I have grown very sinical in the last 6 - 9 months.

You know I hadn't even thought about the possibility of oil.

It seems as if they have found a lot of oil and gas not far off the coast.

The North Cuba Basin held a substantial quantity of oil _ 4.6 billion to 9.3 billion barrels of crude and 9.8 trillion to 21.8 trillion cubic feet of natural gas. Cuba wasted no time, dividing the 74,000 square mile (120,000 square kilometer) area into 59 exploration blocks, and then welcoming foreign oil conglomerates with offers of production-sharing agreements.
At the moment Venuzuela, China and Canada are all drilling away happily.
It will take about 3-5 years to start extracting and shipping the stuff so it looks like georgie boy can pass the problem onto who ever takes over next.

Fair weather freinds eh?

He's not dead yet and the revolution will last beyond him (unlike bliar), Cuba has better life expanancy than the US, the revolution has done a great deal for the people unlike those miami slugs. Raoul is hard line but also a free marketeer expect a freeing up of the economy and more engagement from pragmatic yankee polititians whose only problem is fidels historical image with the mouth breathing US electorate.

armchair_jihad said:
Fair weather freinds eh?

He's not dead yet and the revolution will last beyond him (unlike bliar), Cuba has better life expanancy than the US, the revolution has done a great deal for the people unlike those miami slugs. Raoul is hard line but also a free marketeer expect a freeing up of the economy and more engagement from pragmatic yankee polititians whose only problem is fidels historical image with the mouth breathing US electorate.
Oh yes, the revolution had done so much for people that whenever they were permitted to leave, they left in droves. The secret police, what a marvellous boon. Concentration camps! Wow! People being imprisoned for listening to Western music! Fantastic! Extrajudicial executions! Disappearances! Land reform which tied farmers to the land because they were not allowed to sell or mortgage it. State-controlled press. Absolutely no freedom of speech. All great things, I'm sure you'll agree....

I was watching an interesting documentary on Dutch television about a filthy Dutch lefty who idolised Castro going to Cuba. He got a marvellous haranguing from some people in the street, who said "we want to live in a free country, not here. If you think it's so great here, why don't you stay here and I'll go to your country?" Unsurprisingly, the Dutchman declined.

Sure, the Batista government was corrupt as hell, but at least the country worked and was prosperous. Since the revolution, the government was no less corrupt, and the average man in the street probably had it significantly worse or off, and the economy is in ruins.

Raúl is himself no spring chicken, and will also pop his clogs sometime soon. Only then will the reconstruction begin.

Mate of mine went to Cuba earlier this year. It's a lovely country but the people are dirt-poor - they have to dry rice on the roads. The food consists almost exclusively of rice, beans and pork and everyone has a ration book.

You have to wonder about the 'workers paradise' angle when thousands of Cubans are willing to cross 90 miles of shark-invested waters to get to Florida.

Stoatman WTF? Have you ever been to Cuba? Concentration Camps? Listen to Miami radio a lot do you? Your going to be amazed (along with George W) when the Cubans don't offer their Country to the US when Castro dies.

Fidel himself said that the greatest gift that the US gave the revolution was the embargo, it turned the survival of the revolution into a matter of National pride in the face of petulant yankee mischief.

armchair_jihad said:
Stoatman WTF? Have you ever been to Cuba? Concentration Camps? Listen to Miami radio a lot do you? Your going to be amazed (along with George W) when the Cubans don't offer their Country to the US when Castro dies.

Fidel himself said that the greatest gift that the US gave the revolution was the embargo, it turned the survival of the revolution into a matter of National pride in the face of petulant yankee mischief.
What about the well-documented concentration camps set up by Che Guevara in 1960?

In 1960 at a town named Guanahacabibes in extreme Western Cuba, Che initiated Cuba's concentration camp system. "We send to Guanahacabibes people who have committed crimes against revolutionary morals. . it is hard labor...the working conditions are harsh..."
Sounds like concentration camps to me. Just Google "concentration camp Che Guevara" and you'll find out.

Then there's all the thousands of grisly extrajudicial executions, a large number of which were carried out by Guevara himself.

This is what the revolution brought Cuba.

Such emotive use of language stoatman also applies to the present, the only current ‘concentration camp’ in Cuba is at Guantanamo bay.

What Fidel and his crew did to secure the revolution in the face of the realities of the cold war are very old history and exactly what we would and have done elsewhere.

The revolution has had major, major benefits for the Cuban population, the vocal bunch in Miami are the equivalent of the residents of Kensington and Chelsea moving to France after a successful UK revolution who then spend their time claiming that everything was stolen from them. That the inhabitants of the rest of the UK were delighted to work as slaves with no medical care, education and a life expectancy of 45 years, and cannot wait to turn the clock back.

Touch your forelock when you address me my man.

The only reason that there have been no elections in Cuba is because the CIA would subvert them.

I'm afraid there have been elections in Cuba, just not for the post of presidente. In common with all totalitarian countries, only approved parties can run.

As for major benefits, why is the infrastructure of Havana crumbling? Why was the sugar production in 1963 only half that of the prerevolution value? the land reform which reduced farmers to serfs, unable to sell their land? Cuban health care and literacy were already high before the revolution -- and has it ever occurred to you that figures get heavily manipulated under totalitarian governments? what about rationing, which never happened under Batista?

It's amazing how in democracies we don't have to shoot thousands of people to "secure the revolution" which happens every time the government changes.

If the revolution was so successful and provided such great works for the average Cuban, how come every bugger that can leave does leave? how come people brave 90 miles of shark infested custard in ramshackle boats to get away from these major, major benefits?