Cast iron fire place

Discussion in 'DIY' started by glasshammer, Aug 9, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The boss wants me to put a decorative fire place in, after getting the bits off ebay I now have to work out how to fix a cast iron fire place to the wall, it dosnt need to be sealed in as its not going to be used, does anyone have any ideas how to fix it to the wall as it has no bracket to mount it?

2. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Done.

Attached Files:

3. No More Nails.

4. Spooky!

5. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Nothing in the world that can't be fixed with no more nails (according to my builder!).

6. That wont work at it would only be stuck to wall paper how the **** is it meant to be fixed

• Like Like x 1
  7. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

I tried to fix a blocked Sinus with it. Thankfully it wasn't on me but an infant whose suffocation and reasonably painful death wasn't important. Your builder may need to put in a small clause whilst making sweeping statements.

• Like Like x 3
  8. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

You just used the wrong type. Even a fool like you should know than you need the quick grip variety for sinus problems.

9. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Double sided sticky tape?

10. Why not actually have a fire fitted? Save a fortune on gas.

11. Strip the wallpaper off THEN use no more nails?

12. No chimney hence faux fireplace

13. I'd rather use screws or nails but that is good stuff.

14. It's going back a bit, but doesn't the decorative front fix to the cast iron grate (bolts go through the grate into threaded holes in the back of the frontage). Sounds like you're missing the fire grate.

I could be wrong, it's about 40 years since I messed about with one.

15. you said it would work for my TV, are you back peddling?