Cash for peerages !

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by jonwilly, Oct 23, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. 'Cash for peerages' row as Blair honours top donors
    'Cronyism' controversy reignited as leaked list of new peers includes Labour's millionaire friends

By Marie Woolf, Political Editor
    Published: 23 October 2005
    Tony Blair is to reward a clutch of millionaire Labour Party donors - including the head of the Priory celebrity rehabilitation clinic - with peerages, The Independent on Sunday has learnt.

In a move that will trigger a fresh row over "cash for honours", Mr Blair is to elevate to the Lords four businessmen who between them have given almost half a million pounds to the party.

John
    Well I have always said Blur runs the corrupt party since Lloyd George.

2. Mate, the purchase of knighthoods, peerages etc has been rife almost since their inception. Back when Adam was a boy, the old monarch would indulge in outrageous profiteering from flogging off the odd knighthood or two in order to finance some foreign 'expedition' in order to give johnny foreigner a bloody nose. Mr Bliar and his gang are merely continuing the motion. They all do it - if it's not for money then for a political favour - which translates as power.

Power and money, the root of all evil. Give me more.

3. My paltry donation to the Labour party is on its way as I quite fancy being Lord Hat of Arrse!

4. I reckon I could buy a small title with part of my gratuity............Sir The Right Honourable Biscuits of A Bernethy sounds about right. Then I can dress up like one of those Yanks on the other thread and strut about like Rob Roy.