• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Cash crisis so severe that base faces closure...

#2
This is bloody outrageous, almost the final betrayal

The report, which is in the form of a "loose minute" with three annexes and is entitled "Financial Management 2006/07", reveals that:

• Repair budgets for Army tanks and artillery pieces will be slashed.

• Bases will be closed, "severely impeding" combat operations.

• Military exercises in Kenya and Canada will be cancelled or scaled down, leading to problems with training and morale.

• Funding for the Army's only multiple-launched rocket systems will cease, creating a 30-month capability gap.

• Missile systems will be withdrawn from service early, creating a 24-month capability gap.

• The stockpiling of ammunition for deployable brigades such as 16 Air Assault Brigade, currently in Afghanistan, and Apache helicopters, will be reduced.

• Recruitment to the Territorial Army will be "slowed".

• The money available to train University Officer Training Cadets will be capped.

The financial report was drawn up for Gen Sir Richard Dannatt, the commander-in-chief of Land Command.

Oi BAFF start lobbying!

this really sickens me, WTF are senior ranks doing? Are no men left up there?
 
#3
Strange how we never hear of a shortage of money for overseas aid, feeding illegal immigrants (parasites) treatment for drug addicts or keeping criminals alive in jailor for the massive pay rises the MP regularly vote themselves
.
 
#4
If all implemented, it's serious - however, the way the extract is written suggests that this may be a review of possible options, rather than a definitive 'this is going to happen': anyone able to confirm/deny?
 
#5
Nibbler said:
If all implemented, it's serious - however, the way the extract is written suggests that this may be a review of possible options, rather than a definitive 'this is going to happen' anyone able to confirm/deny?
It won't happen if everyone gets off their ARRSES and makes a stink - the taking one up the ARRSE for old England cos we are Soldiers evidently don't work.

Do you know how much money was spent by this Govt last year on management consultants? 3 Billion pounds thats how much.
 
#6
This has the look of a controlled leak from HQ Land and good on them if that is the case. Hopefully this will get the proper audience and we can start the case to reign in our foreign policy unless the armed forces are better funded.

One senior officer told this newspaper that the Government had wasted billions of pounds of taxpayers money when it decided to buy 232 Eurofighter combat jets at a cost of £50 million each.
Quite right, I may be a crab but I am not stupid. For years we have poured money into Typhoon for no other reason than to save face on a poorly conceived, poorly run project. The less said about JPA the better...

It is too early to start using the word crisis?
 
#7
MMM.........wonder if Dannatt will be another Blair/ Brown arse licker?

Might help the front line troops if they look within.... and cut back on civil service jobs at the MOD etc, that would save 'loads of Money' in more ways then one. How can these so called leaders of Goverment proclaim on TV that 'The British Army' best in the world, doing a wonderfull job etc etc, when behind the scenes their stabbing us in the back....enjoy your frebbie holiday Tony...God I'm really peed off now.
 
#9
Its an absolute outrage! If these cost cutting plans go ahead, we will look and be no better than a so called third world army. British Army...Be the Best? it will be a joke. Is moral amongst the soldiers not low enough when they are already struggling with what they have now? They want to cut excercise trips to Kenya and Canada? That sounds pretty good coming from a goverment whose members go off on jollies, sorry 'fact finding' missions here there and everywhere...on RAF planes at the taxpayers expense!
The annual expenses of the greedy MP's themselves would probably keep a regiment equipped for a year!
Its a bloody sad day when the welfare of an illegal immigrant or a junkie takes priority over that of a serving soldier!
I agree Armchair_J. I think the armed forces and their families have kept quiet for long enough now over the treatment they recieve from this goverment and its time their voices were heard. Our armed forces are one to be proud of and it should be kept that way.
 
#10
From the times

Army 'facing £40m spending cuts'

The British Army is facing £40 million-plus spending cuts that will hit vital equipment and training, according to a report. According to a leaked report obtained by the Sunday Telegraph, budget restrictions will see bases closed and exercises cancelled. It would also rule out the deployment of hi-tech missile systems to Iraq or Afghanistan in the event of a military emergency, it suggested.
Fcuking ridiculous, if you want us to do more Bliar, then pay more.
 
F

fozzy

Guest
#12
armchair_jihad said:
This bloody outrageous, almost the final betrayal

The report, which is in the form of a "loose minute" with three annexes and is entitled "Financial Management 2006/07", reveals that:

• Recruitment to the Territorial Army will be "slowed".
The TA is still regenerating. It takes 3 years to produce a useful TA soldier - if true, this will have a massive negative impact and will probably be terminal for some units.
 
#13
Looks like more salami slicing , not that theres a lot of salami left to slice,
instead of cutting capabilities how about downgrading a few Generals Posts
and streamlining the Admin, dont suppose that woukld fly less jobs for the boys
 
#14
armchair_jihad said:
This bloody outrageous, almost the final betrayal

The report, which is in the form of a "loose minute" with three annexes and is entitled "Financial Management 2006/07", reveals that:

• Repair budgets for Army tanks and artillery pieces will be slashed.

• Bases will be closed, "severely impeding" combat operations.

• Military exercises in Kenya and Canada will be cancelled or scaled down, leading to problems with training and morale.

• Funding for the Army's only multiple-launched rocket systems will cease, creating a 30-month capability gap.

• Missile systems will be withdrawn from service early, creating a 24-month capability gap.

• The stockpiling of ammunition for deployable brigades such as 16 Air Assault Brigade, currently in Afghanistan, and Apache helicopters, will be reduced.

• Recruitment to the Territorial Army will be "slowed".

• The money available to train University Officer Training Cadets will be capped.

The financial report was drawn up for Gen Sir Richard Dannatt, the commander-in-chief of Land Command.

Oi BAFF start lobbying!

this really sickens me, WTF are senior ranks doing? Are no men left up there?
My bold -

1. So we're going to have chally 2s at £5m (?) each sat around doing nothing because we can't afford to repair them? Seeing as there are less after the restructuring anyway. What about the artillery? Do they not understand these aren't optional items???

2. My understanding of Kenya and Canada training is that these are almost irreplaceable. Canada for what can be done with the armoured corps, and kenya for the live firing. We lose these and we might lose more soldiers on ops?

3. So the TA is facing a recruitment/retention crisis, they are being used as a backup for regular units/individuals and a large number have served in 'stan and iraq, so the govn will now shoot itself in the foot removing the future capability of the TA.

What are they playing at? It's an absolute joke
 
#15
A truly shoddy piece of journalism.
I am 99% certain that the document in question is the standard "cuts / impact" shopping list. Its standard practise across the 3 services when cuts are being considered to draw up lists of what can be laid on the table of the chancellor for sacrifice. Judging by the language, and also by the wide ranging nature, I'd argue we've seen one of these documents rather than the final version. If this was the final version, I'd suggest it would have been leaked previously.

Note the nice links between "can't afford fence" and "long term structure under review" to form "cant keep airfield open as we can't afford a fence".

The Sunday Telegraph has long been an appalling paper for journalism, up there with the Sunday Express whose journalist literally cribs his stories off PPRUNE.

My advice, calm down, wait to see if this is repeated across other papers for a long time. More than likely this is a one off leaking of the possible options for STP07.
 
#16
Jim30, I assume from the tone of your posting that you accept the idea of cuts at this time? Des Browne boasts about the £500m spent on UORs this year but I understand that this money is to be paid from next year's defence budget. I believe that this kind of journalism is useful to support the case for better funding for the troops. We need a significant increase in funding now.
 
#17
jim30 said:
A truly shoddy piece of journalism.
I am 99% certain that the document in question is the standard "cuts / impact" shopping list. Its standard practise across the 3 services when cuts are being considered to draw up lists of what can be laid on the table of the chancellor for sacrifice. Judging by the language, and also by the wide ranging nature, I'd argue we've seen one of these documents rather than the final version. If this was the final version, I'd suggest it would have been leaked previously.

Note the nice links between "can't afford fence" and "long term structure under review" to form "cant keep airfield open as we can't afford a fence".

The Sunday Telegraph has long been an appalling paper for journalism, up there with the Sunday Express whose journalist literally cribs his stories off PPRUNE.

My advice, calm down, wait to see if this is repeated across other papers for a long time. More than likely this is a one off leaking of the possible options for STP07.
No jim30 we should not calm down, only lots of noise will take these options off the table - the Journalism is good, your reading of it is bad.

If the Army remains stoic and 'does not fuss' then Brown will see it as an easy cut, why do you think that so many minorities access so much Govt cash? Its focused intensive professional lobbying that opens the Treasury, not behaving like some pussy whipped clerk mouthing 'mustn't grumble' as a cure all mantra.
 
#18
What I find totally amazing is that even with all these cuts being announced Atlas are still about to install 15,000 Computers and a Data Centre for the DII project. Not as you would think in locations which currently have no IT, but at the DPA HQ in Bristol starting March 07. The idea behind it is as a face saving exercise for the DCSA by deploying UAD’s over existing infrastructure in large numbers so they can claim the DII(F) project is being delivered on time. The reality is that the DPA are actually taking a backward step with there IT with DII(F) actually delivering less than a fifth of the storage of the current system at around 6 times the cost!
I find it incredible and disgusting that money can be found for this type of project (to replace something that already works) Not deliver IT to locations that have nothing as ‘It might be difficult’ and won’t allow the contractor to make a profit i.e. small units or TA centres.
But money can’t be found to carry out basic maintenance on our equipment, train properly for Ops. WTF are this government smoking? Duty of care from the MOD……….. B****cks. Sadly corporate manslaughter charges for Des Brown are more likely.
 
#19
armchair_jihad said:
jim30 said:
A truly shoddy piece of journalism.
I am 99% certain that the document in question is the standard "cuts / impact" shopping list. Its standard practise across the 3 services when cuts are being considered to draw up lists of what can be laid on the table of the chancellor for sacrifice. Judging by the language, and also by the wide ranging nature, I'd argue we've seen one of these documents rather than the final version. If this was the final version, I'd suggest it would have been leaked previously.

Note the nice links between "can't afford fence" and "long term structure under review" to form "cant keep airfield open as we can't afford a fence".

The Sunday Telegraph has long been an appalling paper for journalism, up there with the Sunday Express whose journalist literally cribs his stories off PPRUNE.

My advice, calm down, wait to see if this is repeated across other papers for a long time. More than likely this is a one off leaking of the possible options for STP07.
No jim30 we should not calm down, only lots of noise will take these options off the table - the Journalism is good, your reading of it is bad.

If the Army remains stoic and 'does not fuss' then Brown will see it as an easy cut, why do you think that so many minorities access so much Govt cash? Its focused intensive professional lobbying that opens the Treasury, not behaving like some pussy whipped clerk mouthing 'mustn't grumble' as a cure all mantra.
I have to agree in part with Jim. "Cash crisis so severe that base faces closure because Army can't afford to build a fence" is an incredibly misleading title. On the otherhand the value of the article is to bring attention to funding problems. In otherwords bad/sensationalist journalism, but with possible value for the attention this subject may now receive.
 
#20
I would like to think you are right Jim, but this looks uncomfortably like the SDR document that was leaked. I remember that vividly , as my Colonel at the time had been to LAND for a briefing the day the document was leaked, and had been flat out lied to as the document revealed.

I don't read it as Sir Richard being another 'arrselicker' , I read it as Sir Richard has taken the field as the opening bat against the West Indies pace attack. He has to dig in keep his head down and try and get what he can until the attack slackens.

Has anyone seen the figures for how much the Iraq operation is costing us daily? I'm curious as to why these figures have never been publicly released to my knowledge. Ditto the foreign aid budget for Iraq.

It looks like a golden opportunity for thr BAFF to make it's mark.....
 

Latest Threads