Case dropped, police won't tell you for 7 days?!

Today's climate? Proof enough? Unstained? For sure, many often likes to use the no smoke without fire nonsense, .....but if you know you're innocent, FECK the opinions of others and fall back onto your strength of character, determination and bloody mindedness along with support from the small but select group of friends and family who have seen you are your best, your worst and everything in between.

The day I GAF about the opinion of some stranger or two bob , fair weather acquaintance will be my undoing.
It’s not that simple mate. Several years ago I was accused of assault by a convicted nonce I was photographing for his sentencing at court. I knew the DI who came outside to give me the happy news and it was obvious that the police all thought the guy was a piece of shit. But it was also obvious that although they were extremely cynical about his motives for making the accusation (apparently he’d run into the courtroom wailing about “just being beaten up by a photographer.”) they were also obliged to treat it the same as any other accusation of a relatively serious offence.
It was three months before the DC who was dealing with it called me to let me know that it had been dropped.
Now I wasn’t losing sleep over it during that time but it did cause me to worry about what constituted assault or harassment and whether the boundaries had been approached during the incident. There had been some contact in the course of “snatching” the pictures of the paedo, although this was largely a result of him covering his face and stumbling into me. Naturally I declined to move and used the opportunity to take some pictures of his rat-like face at close quarters. Then we both happened to step the same way and he ended up getting a bit squashed against the wall of the court, where I continued to photograph him.
The point is that I was fairly sure I was ok, but I wasn’t 100% sure and that was something that unavoidably came to mind from time to time and the earlier that was brought to a close the better.

par avion

War Hero
Because essentially you can never prove you didn't do something. One accusation, and your life is destroyed, whether charged or not.
The thing is though, the prosecution need to prove their case beyond reasonable doubt. The defence don't need to prove anything. The defendant does not need to give evidence if he doesn't want to, or the defence barrister advises against it. The CPS will only go ahead is there is sufficent forensic, CCTV, or Independent witnesses.

Rape allegation seem to be different. Stranger Rapes are straight forward as there is usually DNA in the victim, belonging to the suspect, which didn't arrive there with the victims consent.

With the other type where both parties are known to each other and both parties are pissed, smoked some funny baccy and snorted some powder and then wake up naked in bed together are more complicated. The police pass the file to the CPS who decide to prosecute. If they decide there is insufficent evidence, they have to pass the file to a higher level for review.

The problem is that both the police and CPS are under political pressure from Womens rights groups to obtain more convictions as the rate at the moment is only 11%. But if the defendant is found 'Not Guilty' how can you increase convictions ? Change the standard of proof? That is what is been pushed for by these womens groups. That the defendant should prove that consent was not given. A dangerous precedent in my view, especially if a government is under political pressure from various pressure groups.

Awol

LE
;
The thing is though, the prosecution need to prove their case beyond reasonable doubt. The defence don't need to prove anything. The defendant does not need to give evidence if he doesn't want to, or the defence barrister advises against it. The CPS will only go ahead is there is sufficent forensic, CCTV, or Independent witnesses.

Rape allegation seem to be different. Stranger Rapes are straight forward as there is usually DNA in the victim, belonging to the suspect, which didn't arrive there with the victims consent.

With the other type where both parties are known to each other and both parties are pissed, smoked some funny baccy and snorted some powder and then wake up naked in bed together are more complicated. The police pass the file to the CPS who decide to prosecute. If they decide there is insufficent evidence, they have to pass the file to a higher level for review.

The problem is that both the police and CPS are under political pressure from Womens rights groups to obtain more convictions as the rate at the moment is only 11%. But if the defendant is found 'Not Guilty' how can you increase convictions ? Change the standard of proof? That is what is been pushed for by these womens groups. That the defendant should prove that consent was not given. A dangerous precedent in my view, especially if a government is under political pressure from various pressure groups.
Why should they increase convictions?

Because of pressure from women's groups?

It’s not that simple mate. Several years ago I was accused of assault by a convicted nonce I was photographing for his sentencing at court. I knew the DI who came outside to give me the happy news and it was obvious that the police all thought the guy was a piece of shit. But it was also obvious that although they were extremely cynical about his motives for making the accusation (apparently he’d run into the courtroom wailing about “just being beaten up by a photographer.”) they were also obliged to treat it the same as any other accusation of a relatively serious offence.
It was three months before the DC who was dealing with it called me to let me know that it had been dropped.
Now I wasn’t losing sleep over it during that time but it did cause me to worry about what constituted assault or harassment and whether the boundaries had been approached during the incident. There had been some contact in the course of “snatching” the pictures of the paedo, although this was largely a result of him covering his face and stumbling into me. Naturally I declined to move and used the opportunity to take some pictures of his rat-like face at close quarters. Then we both happened to step the same way and he ended up getting a bit squashed against the wall of the court, where I continued to photograph him.
The point is that I was fairly sure I was ok, but I wasn’t 100% sure and that was something that unavoidably came to mind from time to time and the earlier that was brought to a close the better.

Of course, I understand your point and stress it would/could cause. Perfectly natural reaction ...you didn't kill yourself though.

If i lived in a one horse town, where everyone knew everyone else, maybe that would wear me down a bit, but i live in London. In my borough alone, there's 300,000 people , and i still believe that i would not let the lies of some other c*nt wear me down to the extent that I'd top myself, surely you owe it to yourself, and those who care about you, not to do that?

I'd also been accused of assault by a young girl while doing at bit of voluntary youth work. She was maybe 14? Was in the staff office - which was out of bounds due to all records being kept there , had been asked to leave - by a wimpy care worker. I happened to be walking by and just intervened ...trying to use my charm to descalate the situation ( yeah, that'll work!)

Next thing the little tart was beating her fist on my chest and screaming....hmm? Whatever, I just grabbed her wrists and guided her out of the office. Se then started to kick my shins...so i gently as possible, i swept her legs, caught her and lowered her to the ground then let go of her ...she ran of swearing..... fecker put on her hands on me! She wouldn't have done it to her peers or some stranger out on the street as she knew what would happen next.

Problem over? ...er, no. Got a call from the Cops several hours later asking me to come to the local cop shop to 'clear a few things up'...me: Sure , no sweat.

Next thing,,i'm in the interview room with a male and female cop ,and it's the old tape recorded Q & A . No brief, no nothing.

Maybe 20 - 30 minutes of being asked the same questions , and the same amount of time of me repeating my answers.

It ends - tape turned off.

Afterwards and unofficially the Cops told me that the interview it was procedure, they knew that i had done feck all - as other witnesses had corroborated everything that i just said but an allegation had been made and they needed follow it up .

Me: 'Yep, I'm sure you did , Meh'.

Last edited:
Because essentially you can never prove you didn't do something. One accusation, and your life is destroyed, whether charged or not.

What?...how fragile is your fecking ego to use that reasoning?....just reverse what you just said.

So, you're walking down the road, or getting on a bus behind some women or minor and she accuses you or inappropriately touch her , and you just wilt and go 'Oh no, now everyone will now think I'm a nonce'?...even if 90% of the people on the bus you'll never see again?

Feck me! why not just put your hands up, admit and bend over for them?

Afterwards and unofficially the Cops told me that the interview it was procedure, they knew that i had done feck all - as other witnesses had corroborated everything that i just said but an allegation had been made and they needed follow it up .
But there's a significant difference.... you were told, and not left in limbo for months. And it sounds more like the accusation was common assault, not paedo type stuff.

But there's a significant difference.... you were told, and not left in limbo for months. And it sounds more like the accusation was common assault, not paedo type stuff.

She was a young girl, all things around them is linked to paedo shit when your an adult male.

Would you hurt your family, leaving them forever with the memory of you killing yourself, if someone told lies about you? Would you force them to have to think 'Maybe he did do it, so killed himself before being found guilty?'....

You think that's the right memory to leave for those who cared you?

I think that you've misunderstood my point. I'm not saying that he did the right thing by taking his own life, I'm merely empathising with him in his predicament and understanding how that could affect his mental state.

He should have been told that the case was out.

I think that you've misunderstood my point. I'm not saying that he did the right thing by taking his own life, I'm merely empathising with him in his predicament and understanding how that could affect his mental state.

He should have been told that the case was out.

yep, of course he should have been ,and now by taking his own life - when he was innocent - he has passed the pain onto his family and those that cared about him.

yep, of course he should have been ,and now by taking his own life - when he was innocent - he has passed the pain onto his family and those that cared about him.
Indeed, imagine how much of a 'bad place' you'd have to be in to do that.....

Mike Barton

War Hero
Of course, I understand your point and stress it would/could cause. Perfectly natural reaction ...you didn't kill yourself though.

If i lived in a one horse town, where everyone knew everyone else, maybe that would wear me down a bit, but i live in London. In my borough alone, there's 300,000 people , and i still believe that i would not let the lies of some other c*nt wear me down to the extent that I'd top myself, surely you owe it to yourself, and those who care about you, not to do that?

I'd also been accused of assault by a young girl while doing at bit of voluntary youth work. She was maybe 14? Was in the staff office - which was out of bounds due to all records being kept there , had been asked to leave - by a wimpy care worker. I happened to be walking by and just intervened ...trying to use my charm to descalate the situation ( yeah, that'll work!)

Next thing the little tart was beating her fist on my chest and screaming....hmm? Whatever, I just grabbed her wrists and guided her out of the office. Se then started to kick my shins...so i gently as possible, i swept her legs, caught her and lowered her to the ground then let go of her ...she ran of swearing..... fecker put on her hands on me! She wouldn't have done it to her peers or some stranger out on the street as she knew what would happen next.

Problem over? ...er, no. Got a call from the Cops several hours later asking me to come to the local cop shop to 'clear a few things up'...me: Sure , no sweat.

Next thing,,i'm in the interview room with a male and female cop ,and it's the old tape recorded Q & A . No brief, no nothing.

Maybe 20 - 30 minutes of being asked the same questions , and the same amount of time of me repeating my answers.

It ends - tape turned off.

Me: 'Yep, I'm sure you did , Meh'.
Can I just point out that you were extremely unwise to allow yourself to be interviewed on tape by two police officers without a lawyer present. In fact I can hardly think of a more foolish thing to do.

I know you did nothing wrong, and you knew you did nothing wrong, and you are sure everyone else knew you did nothing wrong but under no circumstances should you have said a word to the cops without a lawyer sitting beside you, and even then you shouldn't have said a damn thing, that's what he's paid for.

Never, never, assume that the police are there to put everything right once you explain your side of the story. The fact that they were recording and they kept asking you the same questions belies any suggestion that it was just a routine and friendly chat to clear any misunderstanding. It was nothing of the sort, and if you had said the wrong thing in the course of a prolonged interrogation, you'd have discovered how unwise you were not to have had a brief in there to do your talking for you.

She was a young girl, all things around them is linked to paedo shit when your an adult male.

Would you hurt your family, leaving them forever with the memory of you killing yourself, if someone told lies about you? Would you force them to have to think 'Maybe he did do it, so killed himself before being found guilty?'....

You think that's the right memory to leave for those who cared you?
Yes, wouldn't bother you one bit, and you feel further insulated by the anonymity of living in a borough of 300,000. But what if all of them knew who you were and half of them were calling for your blood?

Also...

...doctors are as exposed as anyone else to risks associated with genetic predisposition, early traumatic life events, later bereavements, illnesses or relationship breakdowns. Doctors also have additional risk factors. They are chosen for personality traits that predict good doctoring – perfectionism, obsessiveness and even elements of martyrdom – traits that can act against them. From an early age they are driven, competitive, compulsive, individualistic and ambitious – features that can go into overdrive when stressed. As doctors work harder, they blame themselves for not being able to deliver the care required by their patients, and feel guilty for events beyond their control. Consequently, doctors can suffer from a triad of guilt, low self-esteem and a persistent sense of failure. To survive a lifetime in medicine, doctors also have to develop psychological defences that include depersonalisation and dissociation. This can make it harder to create attachments to others or to recognise when the emotional burden of their work becomes too much, and thus contributes to the spiralling of discontent and increased risk of suicide.

... It is indeed common to underestimate the effect that complaints can have on doctors, and to lose site of the severe pain this causes to the doctor and how a complaint can threaten a doctor's sense of self. A complaint challenges a doctor's values. It is a catastrophic personal event, described by one doctor at PHP as akin to a diagnosis of cancer. The overwhelming feeling (once the anger and shock as subsided) is that of shame: shame of disclosure, of appearing in front of the regulator, of having to face the gauntlet of the press and the shame brought on their families, friends and colleagues. All too often, their shame becomes exaggerated and they begin to feel responsible for the entire profession's values and future.

Thank you.

I sorta sussed that out.

I must admit, You have a way with words , you old charmer.

Have you ever been tested for Asperger's?....they also have this great skill of unintentionally sounding rude and in need of a slap.

Here's one for ya.

You second sentence, i can think of several things more foolish....fancy a guess as to what they are? :cool:

Pah, he means well.
“He who represents himself has a fool for a client” so said Abe Lincoln.

he was a lawyer himself mind.

“He who represents himself has a fool for a client” so said Abe Lincoln.

he was a lawyer himself mind.

Didn't 'represent' myself though. RTFQ

They said come in for a chat, then taped it

No sweat to me .

If it had gone pear shaped, no doubt a lawyer would have fecked them off, beside, i told the truth, there was nothing ambiguous or contentious in any of their questions or my answers.

I think too many people like to make a drama about things - which only works when surrounded by other drama queens.

Yes, wouldn't bother you one bit, and you feel further insulated by the anonymity of living in a borough of 300,000. But what if all of them knew who you were and half of them were calling for your blood?

Also...

Yeah, nice words...the sentiment of which I've already mentioned re living in a one horse town, so........ ? - and if he was innocent, he still left a grieving family behind to deal with the pain.

You think that's a noble thing to do?

Yeah, nice words...the sentiment of which I've already mentioned re living in a one horse town, so........ ? - and if he was innocent, he still left a grieving family behind to deal with the pain.

Being a Doctor seems a very noble thing, but at the price of a very fragile self due to the rigidness of their traits. When smashed against the rocks of self assumed guilt for everything they can't provide perfectly, low self-esteem, and the persistent sense of failure that arises under the pressure from the system within which they must exist as a rarefied example, that existence can quickly become untenable. And it kills off even more of them before they reach their own practice as Doctors.

If only everyone was as fantastic as you the world would be a place of unicorns and rainbows.
Do you ever go back and read the shit you post?

Latest Threads