Case does not bode well for slagging off French, Germans, Italians...or anybody

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by CavalryCaptain, Aug 23, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sod the lot of those foreign johhnies
  2. We never had it in the first place.
  3. TBF there's a bit of difference between voicing your opinions on the Jewish state and wiping your pubes on someone's national flag.
  4. seems to me that the Jew needs to man up a bit and the other one is a prize tool. Both should have been convicted of stealing oxygen
  5. I do not think it was the 'pube' that sunk him.

"I'm satisfied that you said Israel was a terrorist state and the flag was a terrorist symbol and I also hold that you said that Mr Reitblat was a terrorist."
  6. FFS. I predict a shitstorm when the members of HM Forces with a dubious past (IE Northern Irish) gets wind of this.

"I'm satisfied that you repeatedly said "Potatoes" to Cfn Bloggs and I also hold that you said that Cfn Bloggs was a terrorist."
  7. I see his mistake there - it was a Red Sea Pedestrian flag, and not the Union flag.

If he'd done that to a Union flag he would probably have been given a grant.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. And your point is?
  9. During my time in academia, I was frequently shocked by the level of casual anti-semitism displayed by members of the faculty. This went from near-universal acceptance of a boycott of Israeli universities, academics and students, to uncritical acceptance of any statement or action by any Palestinian group, and even extended, bizarrely enough, to a table-full of political scientists and lawyers demanding assurances from their host, that the potatoes they were being served did not originate in Israel.

If faculty attitudes at St. Andrews are representative of UK universities as a whole, then the institution needs to ask itself some questions about why the students felt that their behaviour was no more than robust political commentary.
  10. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

To be fair, none of the comments here display anti-semitism, and by the sounds of it neither were some of the attitudes you saw. There's nothing about Jews there, just Israel. Israel has a particularly beligerant history with no shortage of extreme and unjustified violence. Since a high proportion of academics are not particularly violent, I think that attitude is perfectly understandable. Preferable to "go Isreal!" when debating its military actions through the years.
    • Like Like x 3
  11. I beg to differ - all actors in that sorry saga have a record of extreme violence, to single out one side (particularly when the other side struck the first blow, however maladroitly Israel may have conducted matters since) is evidence of prejudice; when that prejudice is directed against the one and only Jewish state in the world one might see a connection; however, you are right, one cannot necessarily equate an unreasoned hatred of Israel with an unreasoned hatred of Jews.

The only way to tell for sure would be to ask people their opinion of Israeli Arabs. On doing so, I got some interesting responses, ranging from 'Uncle Toms' (showing a shining ignorance of Harriet Beecher Stowe's novel which I for one find deplorable in the educated) to a direct comparison between Israeli Arabs, and Jews in Vichy France.
  12. I'm not losing any sleep over this one, knob head walked into someone else's residence and wiped his pubes on an item he held dear and accused him of being a terrorist. His actions would be highly offensive regardless of race or nationality. Bear in mind that Charle Gilmore recently got a prison sentence for swinging on our national flag.

To be honest the little shit deserves whatever sentence he gets and probably more. He was outside the court bleating about how unfair it was that he got convicted as he was anti racist but happy to brand the entire Jewish state as terrorists . Sounds like racial stereotyping to me.
    • Like Like x 5
  13. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

No, it's a sign of thinking, debating and choosing a position, something which all universities rightly encourage students to do. So you would never side with any one particular cause because it would be prejudice?

No one cannot. One is a race of people and one is a country with a foreign policy, military and so forth. The same academics objecting to Israel I'm sure were bright enough to realise that, regardless of how closely tied the two are.

I think it's fair to say that the academics / political students in question had a well reasoned view, whether right or wrong.
  14. One cannot debate a position regarding the moral or legal rightness of actors in the international system, if one has the default position that one of those actors is, on a priori grounds, wrong in every case or instance.

When one expands that position to the point of stating that, merely by existing, one of those actors is permanently in the wrong in all circumstances, it has become dogma.

When one applies this form of reasoning only to one state, to the exclusion of all others, it has become prejudice. All that remains os to identify the source or motivation.

The two are not closely tied but indistinguishable, given that the purpose of the State of Israel is to provide a homeland for Jews.

I cannot see how deciding that one side in a bitter, savage, complicated and intractable dispute is invariably in the wrong, and the other invariably in the right could be classed as any sort of reasoning, good or otherwise. Nor do I see how a supposedly educated mind could look at the problems of the Middle East and environs, and declare that all or most of its problems would be resolved in a trice by the destruction of Israel.

A remark I often heard uttered in company was the expressed wish that 'The Palestinians/Arabs would chase them into the sea.' I know academic standards are not what they were, but to put forward so Manichaean a concept in such crude terms, is unworthy of even a Postmodernist.
    • Like Like x 3