Cartridge sizes for Fox

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by commzmeanzbombz, Mar 23, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Evening Fellas,

I have a chance to go out hunting for Fox on my local shoot in a few weeks time. Where we are shooting doesn't allow rifles except for the deer management fellas. So i dont embarrass my self what cartridges should I take along and should I use my tightest chokes to ensure a humane as posible kill? :? (Thats if I actually get near one!)

Any other tips & advice gratefully received. :)

2. AAA or BB would be a common choice.

Unless it's this sort of Fox in which case I'd go tooled up with something with a bit more Muzzle Energy than a 12B :)

[​IMG]

3. Bloody hope not!! With BB or AAA are there any choke issues?

4. Shouldn't be any choke issues with ANY CIP proofed rounds (which are the only ones you'll find in the shops) even slug. What you should be more wary of is whether the load is too heavy for the gun. What make and age of gun are you using?

5. Its a miroku mk38 sporter with teague chokes, I have only had it since last August so should be ok?

6. Oh that'll be fine. Some older guns were only really designed for an ounce load at moderate velocity and some modern heavy cartridges are a bit much for them.

7. Thats spot on info Mate, I will let you know how I get on.

Cheers

8. Ex STAB - Trying hard to read the number on that Fox - Mine was 01 GM 42 and to my poor eyesight....

Any idea where and when for that photo ?

9. 01 GM 48

For sale here:
    http://www.khakicorpsimports.com/in-fox.htm

10. Now that would be fun - Sadly I've not got a spare $40,000 at the moment...

I wonder what MOD got for it when it went to Withams ?

11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Mine was 00 GM 42 I think!
    I sit corrected 00 GM 94 I think;
    [​IMG]

12. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

I tried to hunt this Fox, but sadly had the wrong sort of weapon.

Attached Files:

13. Ex STAB, Thanks - Lots of memories.