Cartoon Protestor Found Guilty

From the BBC:

A British Muslim has been found guilty of soliciting murder during a London rally against cartoons satirising the Prophet Muhammad.

Umran Javed 27, of Birmingham, was also convicted of stirring up racial hatred by a jury at the Old Bailey.

Javed told a crowd of hundreds at the February 2006 protest: "Bomb, bomb Denmark, bomb, bomb USA."

He had claimed the chants against the two countries were "just slogans" and that he regretted saying them.

Remanding him in custody, Judge Brian Barker said he would not pass sentence until several other trials relating to the protest had concluded - expected to be in April.

The maximum penalty for soliciting murder is life in prison.

There were disturbances in the public gallery when the verdict was read out, and one man was removed by security staff.

The Crown Prosecution Service's Sue Hemming said she was mindful of the rights to free speech when considering cases such as this.

"However, when we examined the content of Mr Javed's speech it was explicit that there was direct encouragement to those present and those watching via the media to commit acts of murder against the Danish and Americans."

She said the law was also clear that free speech "should not be misused to insult, abuse or threaten people in such a way that it will stir up racial hatred".

The cartoons were originally printed in a Danish newspaper before being reproduced in some European countries, but were never published in the UK.

They caused widespread anger among Muslims and Javed was involved in a large demonstration outside the Danish embassy in London on 3 February 2006.

Prosecutor David Perry QC told the court that Javed was recorded by the police speaking into a loud hailer outside the embassy.

He was joined by between 200 and 300 other Muslims who had marched from the central mosque in Regent's Park.

Mr Perry told the Old Bailey that Javed "appeared to be one of the leaders".

"He said disbelievers would pay a heavy price...and said Denmark would pay with blood."

Anjem Choudary, a former spokesman for the now banned Al-Muhajiroun organisation, said Muslims were treated as "second class citizens" and could not get a "fair trial".

He said: "Muslims are demonised and vilified.

"This is a failure of capitalism, of democracy and the freedom of speech."

Firstly, a right result and as Sven says , one down and five to go

Anjem Choudary, a former spokesman for the now banned Al-Muhajiroun organisation
He is a former spokesman for a banned organisation.

So why is he being given air-time BBC? What editorial decision allowed this inciteful and aggressive bigot to offer an opinion? It might as well be "We stopped someone in the street and asked them...."

Or is is that hard to find foaming-at-the-mouth, backward religous bigots, to present 'balance' FFS?

Very, very happy, racist barsteward, hopefully he will pay dearly in April for his actions.

Let's just hope that this makes other idiots like him think before opening their vile racist mouths.

Edited for mong spelling 8O

I doubt it:
Anjem Choudary, a former spokesman for the now banned Al-Muhajiroun organisation, said Muslims were treated as "second class citizens" and could not get a "fair trial".

they think they're being victimised, so this will just make them worse.

he'll just fester in jail for a while until he can train to be a suicide bomber...

B

Biscuits_AB

PartTimePongo said:
Firstly, a right result and as Sven says , one down and five to go

Anjem Choudary, a former spokesman for the now banned Al-Muhajiroun organisation
He is a former spokesman for a banned organisation.

So why is he being given air-time BBC? What editorial decision allowed this inciteful and aggressive bigot to offer an opinion? It might as well be "We stopped someone in the street and asked them...."

Or is is that hard to find foaming-at-the-mouth, backward religous bigots, to present 'balance' FFS?

Err.....'cos it's the BBC. We all now how they like to support the underdog.

Good now ship him off to Guantanamo Bay with all the others.

whit_RE said:
I doubt it:

they think they're being victimised, so this will just make them worse.

he'll just fester in jail for a while until he can train to be a suicide bomber...
Assuming he doesn't end up in HMP Belmarsh and get lamped by a psychotic lag like his fellow believers did recently.

Corn.

This is a failure of capitalism, of democracy and the freedom of speech.
Just remind me what those banners said again!
"just slogans" and that he regretted saying them.
Only because he got caught no doubt he'll be giving it the big licks once he's finished his sentence. If was truly sorry he would have done something about it by now. Just goes to show they want all the trappings of the very rights they were protesting against....hypocrites the lot of them here's to long sentences and dry bum love in the showers

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I think this is the 1st time I've ever found myself agreeing with a scooter rider.

Off topic but the question I've always wanted to ask scooter riders is: How do you get your sister to lend you her bike? Mine would never lend me anything and I'm too honest to steal - even from my sister.

Incitement to murder is not exercising freedom of speech.

It's a little odd that they protest against cartoonists implying that Islam is a violent religion by threatening violence and murder.

The prosecution can safely rest it's case on that one.

As for Svens remarks one down five to go...

I think you'll find thats one down, countless thousands to go unfortunatley.

Glad to see him getting sent down. Was this the same guy who was on parole from prison for another offence at the time of the protests?