Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by King_of_the_Burpas, Sep 8, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've just suffered the BBC South report on the repatriation of Barry Weston. The idiot reporter, who attempted throughout to attempt to bring some faux dignity to the B&Q remembrance plot that they've built there, ended his report by revealing that: "two elderly ladies were in tears, complaining that there were not enough refreshments available".

It was their "duty" to turn up, but it's the "duty" of the local kebab van to provide them with tea, it seems.

The Beeb provided a handy graphic showing the journey of Sgt Weston from the £3m repatriation centre, via the renamed "Britannia Gate" to the JR, up through Brize and onto the A40.

Various crabs appeared to tell us how "well the day had gone".

What a miserable bunch of utter, ignorant, pointless ***** we have become.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. It was a privilege to stand with the gentlemen (and ladies) at Headley Way in Oxford. A group of people who quietly do what is necessary at the 'Final Turn'.
  3. Speak for yourself. I was always a pointless **** to begin with.

Otherwise I suppose I agree.
  4. It would have been more of a "privilege" to have met Sergeant Barry Weston in person, by all accounts and shaken his hand.

I never met him but know two young lads currently in 42 and in Afg who served with him, I think on two tours. They thought he was a lovely man (most of the time) and a brilliant Marine.

But to bring him back through a purpose-built, B&Q garden centre, positioned to avoid the speed bumps in Carterton is not exactly dignified.

Barry Weston will be remembered and his family will be supported by the Booties.

But the sight of a bunch of grief whores standing on a 'new build', purpose built 'Centre for Mourning', created just so West Oxfordshire District Council and a **** of a Group Captain can take the credit for caring, made me want to grab an AK.

Have you seen it? Was it built by the pikeys who live just off the A40 near BZZ? They may as well have driven his cortege through the 'Drive Thru' at the Maccy D's in Witney, imho.

I'm glad you feel privileged to stand with the "gentlemen (and ladies)". Except this is the death of an RM, not a ****ing game of bowls.
  5. It has been clear for a long time that at both Wootton Bassett and now Carterton, a small minority of attendees are genuine RBL / Regi Association types who turn up to pay the last respects; and that the vast majority are generally random members of the Oxfordshire public who are there because they want to be seen there and want to tell their friends about it because it makes them look good.

Some probably don't even know the name of the bloke who's passing through nevermind his corps or his rank or how he died. They don't really give a shit either. It's just a good opportunity to stand at the roadside and pretend to be sad and wave a shitty plastic union flag on a flimsy plastic stick and prove to the other mums at the school / the next door neighbours that you're more British than they are (or most likely just contribute more to the Daily Mail's annual profits) or whatever it is that week.

The public presence at repatriations was once a nice respectful act that said 'we, the public, appreciate what you gave' and was a positive turn from the 2003 situation where the entire public thought the armed forces were baby murdering *****. Now, it belittles the soldiers' deaths with it's cult attendance and fashionable swagger that makes it look more like a ****ing coronation street party than a respectful mourning. And half of those attending are probably part of the cult who 8 years ago thought we were all baby murdering ***** as aforementioned; because the paper told them to, and that was the trend back then. Now the papers are telling them to wave flags on the repat route and it's the fashionable thing to do, so they've all followed like sheep and are doing that instead.

Pathetic ***** the majority of them and the minority who attend with genuine cause have their efforts pissed on by the masses in their pink anoraks waving cheap flags with kids in tow mimicking those actions.
    • Like Like x 3
  6. If you can calm yourself long enough to re-read my post you'll see I was in Oxford. Didn't particularly occur to me to go to Carterton, just as it never really occured to me to go to WB, it was so obvious that the new place would be something as you described that I'm surprised you went. I'd have thought somewhere quiet along the route would suit you better but then you'd have nothing to get yourself all in a lather about would you? I was making the point that the old soldiers at Headley Way have never courted publicity or turned out for any other reason than to pay respects to the dead and that is one of the reasons it is a privilege to stand with them. If you want to infer some frivolity from my choice of words than that is your mistake.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. I make mistakes all the time. But don't patronise me. If you want to make a pantomime out of dead soldiers, then go ahead.

But I think you should be kicked in the ****.

8. How you can get from my expressing admiration for some of the old soldiers who turn out every time in Oxford, to making a pantomime out of dead soldiers is beyond me. If you don't want to be patronised stop reasoning like a five-year-old.
    And don't have the brass neck to think that you are the one laying down the ground rules on how people pay their respects, I don't particularly like the fashion for applause at such events but if the family aren't complaining why the **** should I? I agree that the inclusion on the TV news of two old biddies at Carterton moaning about the lack of refreshments strikes a duff note but your attitude stinks more. Do you prowl round, beetle-browed scowling at people you consider unworthy of attending such an ocassion? Because if it was one of my family coming back home I think I'd get the old dears a cup of tea myself, but I'd be telling you that you weren't welcome.