Cars Bikes n AFV forum

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by Mikal, Jun 30, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This is the link shown when trying to use it

Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs

I jsut can't get it to open. Is it one of the adverts?

To add: the same behaviour is beginnnig to show in other forums. The only way to avoid is to shut the page down.

Happening in Both IE9 and Firefox 13
  2. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

That link and all other forums working fine for me. Could you describe exactly what happens? Why do you need to shut the page down? Is it a full browser crash?

Anyone else?
  3. Working fine for me, have you cleared out your temp internet files, cache, cookies and all that gubbins?
  4. Tried it and the browser locked up. By the feel of it it's an ad or pop-up blocker on the users PC objecting to something.
  5. No problems here, using firefox :)
  6. I had exactly the same problem, tried opening the post and IE decided to freeze. All other posts were ok to read.
  7. Page just doesn't respond. First noticed it in Firefox then went back to IE9 to give it a try and same problem.

I purge everything with Tracks Eraser pro every few days and it was after this clean out the issue surfaced.
  8. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Do you have any plugins that might interfere with fundamentals like javascript and cookies? Or something unusual that no-one else uses? Might be worth disabling everything and trying again? Any problems on other sites?
  9. I don't use any other forums. ARRSE is it, sad but true.

I don't normally allow cookies.
    Javascript has been tried switched off in Firefox.
    I don't have any cache enabled.
    No problems with other websites.

Problem went away last night after 9pm.
  10. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Sorry but if you block cookies and disable javascript you're pissing in the wind trying to use just about any modern website without problems. You shouldn't be able to stay logged in to ARRSE for starters. I assume an exception? Disabling your browser cache also seems like a weird thing to do as it makes your page load slower. Any reason why you do this sort of thing? Genuine threat or tin foil hat?
  11. No cache is force of habit from a IT role which required it. These days it doesn't have as much impact and so it persisted.I'm a light net user compared with many.

I see other threads here where others are also experiencing sudden slow response.

I have several trusted sites set.
  12. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

I'm just surprised when I hear of people crippling their browsers like this. So much effort goes in to improving the web at all levels that disabling it all seems a very odd thing to do unless you do some really seedy stuff and fear being the next Gary Glitter or Hector Xavier Monsegur. Do you use anonymous proxies and so on?
  13. I like privacy.

Trouble is, using the net is becoming a must these days.

I don't believe in being followed all over the place. Never heard of Xavier chap.

Hardly use the net at all. Seems everyone I work with spends forever on the net when there's so much more to enjoy away from the keyboard. I've only been on so much recently due to injury.
  14. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

15. It may be wise for him to look at the instructions on here.
    Aluminum Foil Deflector Beanie
    Don't forget the dog and cat though, they need protection too.