Carrying firearms on public transport

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by dropshortjock, Sep 22, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Any shooting experts here? I need to carry my (licenced) .22 Rimfire & am currently without car: is it legal & acceptable to take it on public transport? Thanks
  2. that's a public place per se - so no is the answer
    possession of a section 1 firearm in a public place etc etc
  3. here you are, from the CPS website

Section 19 Carrying firearm in public place. SO

Summary 6 months or a fine of the prescribed sum; or both.
    On indictment (but not if the firearm is an air weapon or imitation).7 years or a fine; or both.
    If the firearm is an air weapon or imitation

For shotgun or other firearm

NB on or after 01 October 2007 imitation firearms are TEW with 12 months on indictment

May be subject to Mandatory Minimum Sentence see s30 VCRA 2006
  4. I beg to differ. Carrying a firearm in a public place is lawful if you have a 'lawful authority or reasonable excuse'. Extract from Firearms Law - Guidance to the Police 2002 below:

5. Balls.
  6. Thanks for all the help - think I'll err on the side of caution and wait for my car to be fixed!
  7. So a sensible answer for our enquirer:

It is no more an offence to be in possession of a lawfully held firearm on public transport than it is anywhere else.

However, note the following:

The carrier may have "conditions of carriage" that restrict the right to carry firearms. On the railway it is currently "prohibited except where it isn't" clear as mud and totally stupid. Bus operators will have their own arrangements. Airlines need you to check in in advance, "internal" ferries rarely present a problem. Ok on Eurostar but you can't take ammunition. Not sure about continental ferries but doubt it would be a problem.

How's that?
  8. Just keep the gun in a case or slip and you'll be fine. If it really were utterly illegal to have a gun in a public place, how would you get it from the gun shop to your car? I've carried guns on trains many times and never had a problem. Keep it in sight, remove the bolt, don't have ammo with it in the case.
  9. Don't forget that the inside of your car is also considered a "public place", so there is technically no difference anyway.

So far as I understand, it remains perfectly legal to have a firearm in a public place so long as it is in some sort of cover. One dealer I know lets his customers leave the shop with their rifle in a clear plastic bag - thus being fully visible to Joe public. His local Police have confirmed to him that this is perfectly acceptable.

Transport restriction only apply where the operator has made specific restrictions. In UK that unfortunately means that many have fallen in with the "ban everything" mentality...
  10. Why risk it?
  11. In most circumstances there is actually no requirement for a cover. Only applies to youngsters with air rifles and shotguns. You'll look long and hard to find legislation that says otherwise. ('cause there is none! ;) )

That said, using a cover is reasonable and practical.
  12. Buy a police hat off e bay and rush round with weapon out asking if anyone has seen a terrorist
  13. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Why risk it? Because there is no risk, you are not breaking any laws, if a plod jumps and claims public order or VCR then you are still within the firearms acts and therefore exempt. You dont need to carry your license but I would as a matter if you dont want the petty plastic plod grief!
    Remember most plod dont know let alone understand firearms laws and are only briefed to relevant changes if their CoC is any good!
  14. Complete and utter bollocks.
    As long as the firearm is covered, and therefore not in plain sight, no offence is committed.
  15. Even if it's uncovered in plain sight no offence is committed as I stated above.