Carrying a Leatherman?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by saffa762, Dec 12, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm not sure where to put this, if its in the wrong place would the mods please move it? I was recently given a Leatherman for my birthday and I was warned that I can't carry it in public as it has a locking blade. Here's the problem, I'm in the UK to join the army and at the moment I'm being a bit of a tourist moving around, visiting friends around the country.

In the unlikely event that I am stopped when I'm moving from one place to another and searched and it is found in my secure, locked, hardcase luggage, am I going to lose it? Would the fact that I'm travelling with it and don't have a permanent address to leave it at be a valid reason to have it?

2. I believe you should have a legitimate reason to be carrying the knife
    ... Lsck of permsnent abode probably would not be acceptable.
  3. Use the search function. Loads of threads about knives.
  4. Young man, all alone in a Foreign land. I'd have thought you'd be communicating by PM. :wink:
    • Like Like x 5
  5. Which leatherman is it? I recently spent 160 something quid on one of those mod mutt eod things from kitmonster. A complete waste of money and I think the ally sounding name drew me' into the sale.
  6. I had a look at existing threads and found none mentioning whether it being in your luggage was okay, hence why I posted a new thread.

h301593, its a Leatherman Rebar. I was looking at the EOD and was smitten thanks to the ally-ness as well, but 160 quid is a boatload of cash for me so I didn't get it.
  7. You might get away with it if it was in your luggage and not on your person. Packing it up like a parcel with lots of tape on it might help show you didn't intend using it. It's hard to be certain how the police would react these days as there is a lot of pressure on them to cut knife crime. Camping might be a useful added reason to have it with you. If the worst happens don't accept a caution unless you have no alternative as it counts as a criminal record. If you haven't done anything they probably wouldn't bother to prosecute you if you're not from the UK.
  8. As long as it's in a locked case you should be right.
    If unsure ring local Plod and ask, using a false name and a public call box for anonymity purposes. :)
  9. Bollocks

More bollocks

You are right. But it's unnecessary bollocks.

The locking mechanism of the blade is not any kind of issue. Locking mech has no bearing on the knifes lethality or 'offensive weapon'-iness. So forget that piece of bollocks.

Most Leathermans and pocket folding knive sold in the UK have blades of less the 3.5 inches (cutting edge)

You are not required to have 'good cause' or a reason to be carrying, or in possession of any folding knife of 3.5 inches or less. As long as you aren't doing anything offensive with it, it isn't an offensive weapon.

If stopped and questioned by a police officer, SAY NOTHING. Give him your name, d.o.b, address in the UK. NOTHING ELSE. Do not be drawn into questions of a hypothetical nature either such as 'If someone threatened you with a knife, would you use this to defend yourself?'

SAY NOTHING. DO NOT ACCEPT A CAUTION. ASK TO SPEAK TO A SOLICITOR. If you are arrested, you will be allowed to consult with one free of charge whilst in custody.

But having said that, there is a degree of circumstance here. If you were out drinking/clubbing in the West End with it on your belt, it looks irresponsible, and a risk, so you will draw attention to yourself. If your halfway up Ben Nevis wearing an orange cagoule, it would appear appropriate. If you don't need it, or are unlikely to need it, don't carry it, because ill informed coppers try and criminalise you for it. But that's because they spend 3 weeks on diversity training and only an afternoon on burglary!

This country has gone to the ******* dogs and people are getting nicked for cutlery and nail clippers because coppers can't find/can't be arsed to deal with any real crime.
    • Like Like x 13
  10. Yes, but is it worth being bored shitless in a cell followed by a 2 hour interview and more cell time when it MIGHT be a decent copper that's enquiring to it?

Why are you carrying a gucci multitool with a nice sharp blade?
    For work officer, I need it to cut string and shit etc
    No problem fella, on your way...
    • Like Like x 3

It is illegal to carry any sharp or bladed instrument in a public place (with the exception of a folding pocket knife, which has a blade that is less than 7.62 cm (3 inches)).

A lock knife is not a folding pocket knife and therefore it is illegal to carry around such a knife regardless of the length of the blade (if you do not have reasonable excuse). A lock knife means a knife which is similar to a folding knife, in that there is a spring holding the blade closed. However, a lock knife has a mechanism which locks the blade in position when fully extended, the blade cannot be closed without that mechanism being released. A lock knife is not an offensive weapon per se (because these knives were made with a specific purpose in mind and not as a weapon). However, possession of a lock knife in a public place without reasonable excuse is an offence.

Possession of a multi-tool incorporating a prohibited blade/pointed article is capable of being an offence under this section even if there are other tools on the instrument which may be of use to a person in a public place (screwdriver, can opener).

The ban is not total, it is for the person in possession of such an instrument to prove on the balance of probabilities that he/she had good reason for its possession. It will have to be genuine, for example, someone back packing across the Lake District may reasonably be expected to have a knife for the preparation of meals. It will be far more difficult to justify on the streets of a city or town, but there will be occasions when someone is genuinely going to a martial arts sport or scout meeting (which is easily checked).

The penalty for committing this offence is a maximum prison sentence of four years.
  12. Locking blades require good cause or reasonable excuse. In certain circumstances bladed articles of any description can be classed as offensive weapons, such as a small penknife, non locking or otherwise, in a pub, protest or sporting event. The OP's circumstances fall into reasonableness, this especially when taken into consideration the fact that it is not 'readily accessible'. Even if plod arrested, CPS advice would not advise prosecution, that fails, a magistrate should see reason but last straw it would NEVER be convicted in a crown court.

Please stop talking bollocks the rest of you.

Chef, Butcher, hunter, former serviceman and currently reading law.

There is a difference between that of a 'tool' and an offensive weapon. Leatherman in your pocket at a football match = weapon...Machete in your luggage for a Amazon expedition = Tool, common sense dictates the rest (usually)
  13. You're Bear Grylls, Jamie Oliver's, Andy McNab's Judge John Deed's ruder brother and I claim my fiver.
    • Like Like x 3
  14. "Honest guv, it's only my leatherman".
  15. What Service Revoler said!

The Governemnts (short) answer:

If you were stopped in the street when carrying your luggage (why would you be stopped?) then having a Leatherman burried in your travel bag/rucksack is not the same as having said item on your belt/person. If it is in your rucksack, in its sheath, then it is not readily available to you.

A lot of people just roll over and accept the 'you cannot have that - its illegal' thing too literally. I often have locking knives, sheath knives and axes in a bag or in my car boot. I do this because I have reasonable cause for doing so. The knife I cary in my pocket every day it a sub 3" non locking pocket knife.

The biggest danger is when you no longer have reasonable casue but forget to remove the knife. For example:

Hunter out for deer/rabbits, whatever, and has a sheath knife on his belt - Reasonable cause.

Hunter finishes for the day, gets in car with the knife still on belt (worse still stops at a shop for a pint of milk) - NO resonable cause. The knife should have been removed and packed away in the boot where it is not readily available.

You just need to apply some common sense.

• Like Like x 1