Carrying a DSLR...

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Mav, Oct 10, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mav

Mav Old-Salt

Anyone got any experience they want to share about carrying a DSLR on exercise?

Thinking about protecting it when in my pack from both impact and water... A small peli case could be an option, but sounds expensive and possibly overkill

Already talking to Boris about a molle pouch for when without pack...
  2. Why not speak to Media Ops Group or one of the finalists in the Army photo competition?
  3. A DSLR is a bulky bit of kit. Have a look at the Fuji X10.
  4. I used to carry a Minolta 35DL waterproof 35mm film (yeah, yeah I'm ******* ancient) camera and, although nowhere near as versatile as an SLR or rangefinder I could at least be reasonably sure it would carry on working. I reckon my choice now would be a modern equivalent- one of the Olympus Tough series probably.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. I would imagine their circumstances are slightly different. On proper exercise, I wouldn't dream of a DSLR - it's going to get broken or damaged unless exercises have got a bit gayified in the last 15 years
  6. A Digital SLR? It sounds like the way forward.

7.62 or 0101101001010010101110100101101110010100101001?
    • Like Like x 3
  7. I was trying to wonder why anyone would carry a Deactivated Self Loading Rifle on exercise....then I realised we were talking Kodak moments
  8. Mav

Mav Old-Salt

I already have the DSLR... And having gotten used to one, I struggle to go back to a compact. Using a viewfinder and the speed alone are a huge difference. And that's before we get on to image quality...
  9. I use both, compact lives in the bag so I've always something to hand, and the DSLR comes out when it can be looked after properly.
  10. It's always a matter of compromises. I'd assume that your first priority will always be the job you are getting paid to do. I reckon if you start getting too serious about your photography your mind isn't going to be 100% on the important stuff. I take photography seriously but when I was in the field I took snaps- good ones mind ;-) because that's as much as I felt comfortable with. I guess it depends on what your 'day job' is.
    Most decent compacts will give you file sizes big enough to stretch out to A3 if you want to exhibit or hang on your wall and for most shooting situations the compact can give you a workable solution. The main trump card of a DSLR is the interchageable lenses - to maximise its potential you'd ideally have short and long zooms with a fast standard, plus a flash for those non tac moments, plus a couple of spare batteries. Without the rest of the kit a DSLR becomes harder to justify photographically, with the kit it's hard to justify from a lugging it around point of view.
  11. Media Ops photographers go out on the ground with the guys (on occasion).
  12. Used to use an S6 haversack for 35mm SLRs and lenses - that worked well so long as you remember which one has the respirator in it... In more recent times I use pelican cases which are excellent for 'challenging' environments, but lack 'quick draw' ability. I too used the waterproof minolta 35mm which happily sat all day in a puddle in my canoe, this has been replaced by a digital canon compact in a waterproof bag.
  13. Mav

Mav Old-Salt

I'm a CFAV so the exercises are already pretty gayified.

When you're carrying the DSLR in your pack, do you bother with a peli case? Or just wrap it in a jacket etc?
  14. And I think their loading is adjusted accordingly. One of the guys bringing his gear along to get better than average happy snaps doesn't really have that luxury.
  15. All that bollocks is behind me now - I think I had a Kodak instamatic, and it usually didn't have film in it.