• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Carroll Shelby 1923-2012

Buggers cars cost us our unrestricted motorways in 1964!

RIP to a true giant of the motorsport world, and the man who gave us the ultimate hairy chested sports car.

I couldn't give a ****. I've never understood why it even makes the news when somebody who once did something of no real significance dies. At least he wasn't an actor, I suppose.

The story goes that he'd take customers for a drive in the Cobra and to demonstrate the acceleration he'd place a $100 bill on the dashboard and say that the bill was theirs if they could grab it as he floored it. Apparently, no-one ever managed to grab the bill.

Fell in love with the Cobra the first time I saw 'The Gumball Rally' as a kid. One day... [sigh]

If he had spent as much time on suspension development as he did with the engine you might have been able to drive them around corners. and please don't quote from "bullitt".
I know what you mean, but it's not always about corners either. I like my corners, but there is something to be said for pure straight line speed. That's why I have 2 different cars for 2 different purposes back home. A 'Stang GT for straightline lazy cruising and a 'lil SVT Focus for corners. They are on completely opposite ends of the spectrum and I like it that way.

The current Shelby 'Stang GT500 is not half bad at cornering though....had one for a week from work.

Latest Threads