Carroll Shelby 1923-2012

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by SKJOLD, May 12, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bloody nice car, the Cobra.

• Like Like x 2
  2. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

a true motorsport legend. RIP.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Buggers cars cost us our unrestricted motorways in 1964!

RIP to a true giant of the motorsport world, and the man who gave us the ultimate hairy chested sports car.

4. The Cobra, now that was a sportscar, you can keep your Vette's, Viper's, Jag's etc.

5. Made by AC in Thames Ditton.

6. I couldn't give a ****. I've never understood why it even makes the news when somebody who once did something of no real significance dies. At least he wasn't an actor, I suppose.

7. Thanks for sharing that.

8. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

The story goes that he'd take customers for a drive in the Cobra and to demonstrate the acceleration he'd place a $100 bill on the dashboard and say that the bill was theirs if they could grab it as he floored it. Apparently, no-one ever managed to grab the bill.

Fell in love with the Cobra the first time I saw 'The Gumball Rally' as a kid. One day... [sigh]

9. You're either a Nissan Micra driver, a cyclist, a botter, or all three if you don't care about Carroll Shelby

• Like Like x 1
  10. If he had spent as much time on suspension development as he did with the engine you might have been able to drive them around corners. and please don't quote from "bullitt".

• Like Like x 1

11. On come now, he didn't create the E Type or DB5 did he. All he really did was shoehorn big engines into other peoples cars

12. Another Micra driver...