Carroll Shelby 1923-2012

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
a true motorsport legend. RIP.

Buggers cars cost us our unrestricted motorways in 1964!

RIP to a true giant of the motorsport world, and the man who gave us the ultimate hairy chested sports car.

I couldn't give a ****. I've never understood why it even makes the news when somebody who once did something of no real significance dies. At least he wasn't an actor, I suppose.

The story goes that he'd take customers for a drive in the Cobra and to demonstrate the acceleration he'd place a $100 bill on the dashboard and say that the bill was theirs if they could grab it as he floored it. Apparently, no-one ever managed to grab the bill.

Fell in love with the Cobra the first time I saw 'The Gumball Rally' as a kid. One day... [sigh]

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
I couldn't give a ****. I've never understood why it even makes the news when somebody who once did something of no real significance dies. At least he wasn't an actor, I suppose.
You're either a Nissan Micra driver, a cyclist, a botter, or all three if you don't care about Carroll Shelby

If he had spent as much time on suspension development as he did with the engine you might have been able to drive them around corners. and please don't quote from "bullitt".

Nope :biggrin:
I have a V8 Range Rover, a Series III FFR and a 1949 Singer SM1500
Prince of Slow® ;P

The 'fun' car is a Triumph Vitesse convertible with a 2.5 TR6 engine… big silly grins and lots of testicular fortutide required.

If he had spent as much time on suspension development as he did with the engine you might have been able to drive them around corners. and please don't quote from "bullitt".
I know what you mean, but it's not always about corners either. I like my corners, but there is something to be said for pure straight line speed. That's why I have 2 different cars for 2 different purposes back home. A 'Stang GT for straightline lazy cruising and a 'lil SVT Focus for corners. They are on completely opposite ends of the spectrum and I like it that way.

The current Shelby 'Stang GT500 is not half bad at cornering though....had one for a week from work.

Latest Threads