Carriers May Be Delayed

Nice looking piece of kit - I was involved in some of the bidding for Type 45 and we are starting to look at bits for the carrier, but I still get the feeling that HMGs heart isn't really in it. As regards 2012 in the water, forget it.

I seem to recall that the Admiralty kept their head well below the parapet last time the crisis in defence funding raised its head in public. What was that Niemoller quote again?

This may not be the most immediately urgetn defence requirement in terms of the major tasks we're performing, but their absolutely vital if we're to have any pretense of being able to project power elsewhere.

Does nobody in MoD own a map? Wee island, surrounded by water, lots of interests really far away? No bells tinkling in the background?

Thought not.

smartascarrots said:
I seem to recall that the Admiralty kept their head well below the parapet last time the crisis in defence funding raised its head in public. What was that Niemoller quote again?

This may not be the most immediately urgetn defence requirement in terms of the major tasks we're performing, but their absolutely vital if we're to have any pretense of being able to project power elsewhere.

Does nobody in MoD own a map? Wee island, surrounded by water, lots of interests really far away? No bells tinkling in the background?

Thought not.
There may be bells tinkling in the background, but as it's Friday lunchtime they've all gone home for the weekend.

Augustus said:
There may be bells tinkling in the background, but as it's Friday lunchtime they've all gone home for the weekend.
I fear you may be right. Pity they don't read the obituaries (or any other part of the newspaper, apparently):

Sir John Harvey-Jones said:
When you know something's wrong, nine times out of 10 it's the management - in truth, because people aren't being led right... and bad leaders invariably blame the people.

One little point thats been missed is that the programme to replace Harrier is currently running roughly 18months to 2 years late itself. So we could put the new CVF's into service, the biggest warships in RN history, with an airgroup of 6 knackered GR9's. Think of the headlines that would cause.

There is a mildly strong argument to be made for delaying and bringing into service 18 months later but only if the EP funds can be re-allocated elsewhere and the CVS can keep running for a bit longer without sinking.

Whilst there may be some truth in that, the capability loss (and loss of aircraft numbers caused by the premature retirement of the Sea Harrier (discussed at length on PPRUNe on the Sea Jet thread) make delays to both CVF and JCA (also both discussed on PPRuNE on the Future Carrier thread) potentially very dangerous, particularly when cuts to the frigate/destroyer force, delays to the Type 45 Destroyer, reduction in spending on ship upkeep etc etc etc.

And then we have the isue of skill fade........

One problem with defence procurement is the policy to employ non technical graduates with no compensating idustrial experience as project managers. Some of the things I've heard from Engineers in the DPA simply beggar belief.

One of my favourites was a new comms systems, intended for long range use therefore HF was used. The non technical project manager changed this part of the early design to VHF, presumably thinking if High Frequency is good, VERY High Frequency will be even better. Took months to correct this. I didn't believe it, but was assured they wern't joking...

I bet there are numerous other examples.

Well, well, well...what a surprise! Basically, HMG has been wasting money for far too long. I am afraid that the chickens are now coming home to roost and this has **** all to do with celebrity chefs.

2012 was a realistic target if Thales had got the contract however for political reasons BAe got it even though they don't have technological capabilty to build it.

Another labour cock up

Well actually BAE Systems does have the resources, since it controls all the naval shipyards in the UK with the exception of Swan Hunter (gone to the wall?) and Vosper Thornycroft.

You may be interested in this 2004 article

Breaking up the CVF team now will mean that will need reforming later - at greater expense.

Hmmm we are so far up the Americans arse that the current government think NATO is going to stand up and be counted.

The rest of them are useless and on past experience the yanks, while helping out in the past, on occasions, will only be in it for themselves, as history has shown.

I think that you're probably right. How easily we forget the lessons of recent history.