Carrier changes in week 6

Discussion in 'REME' started by 2_Canadian_Beers, Jun 17, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well basic is about to start and as that does one begins to question thier occupational choice. My choice being Techincal Crewman in Artillery to head to 29 Commando. Now wisdom is starting to set in and a 'trade' makes sense more and more. I have yet to sign the contract as I am back in Canada for a few weeks. I am aware I have to make changes quick as possible, so the question is at week 6 is it a hard process as some make it out to be? Obviously experiences vary from person to person, information would be greatly appreciated, as I would like to look into Welder with 59 Commando later heading for that dive patch or head straight to diving.

Cheers 2CB

2. What contract?
    You should have already signed on the dotted line by now buddy. If you have taken the "Queens shilling" (Oath) then you are pretty much committed. You can make changes at a point in training but it is for extreme cases only and not the prefered option. Especially hard if your trade is protected(in short numbers)

Sounds like you need to make your mind up soon before you start Fcuking people about.

Ref your diving course(or an course for that matter) to be able to apply for a course you must first show you are worthy and not a time waster, from the questions I have seen you post I would suggest you wont be on your preffered career route mate.

3. Firstly, dont be bluffed by the "technical" crewman name, your heading for a life in the gunners and no offence but I've served a lot of time with them and you'll have to spend a lot of time at the coal face before getting any relevant qualifications.

The army is full of chances to go off and enjoy sports/adventure training. If you want to dive you can pretty much do it in any Corps or Regt but amount of time varies.

The best thing for you to do now would be to have a hard think about what you want from the army and what you think you can give to it. I may be a bit arrogant in thinking that if you had the capability to go tech or vm then the ACIO would have offered you it but if you think you can do it - go for it. Don't be put off with the fact that you are in training for a while compared to the RA, as your opportunities for good times definately go up as you scale the rank ladder and you'll do this quicker in a Corps.

4. It sounds like you are having cold feet and as a result you are not sure what you want to do. Think about why you went to the ARMY careers office in the first place and not the NAVY. RM Commandos (as you want to be one of them) are part of the Navy and the easiest way to be a diver is to join the Navy. Think about it carefully because it could soon be too late to do anything about it, if it isn't already!!!!! Whatever the case, only you can decide! Remember, both of those chosen trades require a tremendous level of fitness!!! Good luck!