Carluccio dies

Mrs OS loved watching his cookery programmes. Bought her one of his recipe books two years ago , and she promptly put a stone and a half on me..

He was a great cook and seemed to be a sound bloke as well. Those often don't go together, so it's a bit sad to hear of his passing.

Lovely man - 4 of us were eating in one of his restaurants and he came over sat down with us. He talked us through each course; ingredients, preparation, interesting recommendations and telling funny anecdotes about pretty much everything. RIP.

Sad to hear, a big character but with a passing relationship with the "black dog" I seem to recall?
RIP
I seem to recall a particularly horrendous suicide attempt a few years ago. I believe he tried to stab himself to death.
Very sad as he seemed like a genuinely warm man.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

I seem to recall a particularly horrendous suicide attempt a few years ago. I believe he tried to stab himself to death.
Very sad as he seemed like a genuinely warm man.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk
I read some of a book he wrote or extracts and he tried to kill himself a fair few times i think . Sad to hear he has passed , watching his programmes made me think of the pleasures in life of a good simple meal. Him and Genaro were funny as hell to watch as well.

The Godfather of cooking was great, and his Porchetta -stuffed pig - with loads of ingredients,spices and nuts, cooked in an old Renaissance kitchen oven looked lush. Always liked the Two Greedy Italians especially their pasta. Proper grub and a shame he's gone.

The Godfather of cooking was grieat, and his Porchetta -stuffed pig - with loads of ingredients,spices and nuts, cooked in an old Renaissance kitchen oven looked lush. Always liked the Two Greedy Italians especially their pasta. Proper grub and a shame he's gone.
At the risk of being banned from Arsse for life for heresy, I would aver that a Porchetta di Ariccio sarnie is up there with an Egg Banjo.

ETA: Whenever we played rugby at home against Ariccio, they always brought along a whole porchetta as their contribution to the third half.

I was never overly impressed by his recent eateries. His first restaurant in that London was exquisite (I forget where). His early cookbooks were deliciously Italian; simple combinations of good ingredients that together made for a unique flavour, rather than some poncy orgy of over-excess.

I rarely comment on RIP threads, but he was, I believe a thoroughly authentic character and an ambassador for true Italian cuisine.

Latest Threads