Carlisle

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Taff49, May 1, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. i did my basic there in the mid-fifties and have happy memories of a compliant and athletic lass from Carr's biscuit factory and good, strong, cheap beer from the state brewery. Mind you the town centre pubs were frightful. No standing at the bar, buy your beer from a GPO type opening. No games. no singing, no treating. Further you got out from the centre the less stupid it became but typical octopus state. Natiuonalised in WWi to stop munitions workers blowing themselves up but hung onto like grim death fifty years on. Entertainment on saturday - Teds vs Chunkies.

2. ive been wanking over that lass in your sig block for a while now, who is she?

btw, asked the barmaid for Strongbow and got Carling.

What a shit town

3. Its probable she didn't understand a word you were saying!

4. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

it is the kind of place visited once

5. Didn't actually end until 1973

The Brewery in Caldewgate was bought by Theakstons at the end of State Ownership (now student accommodation I think), I remember the smell of the place like it was yesterday and it closed quarter of a century ago.

Presumably you did basic at Hadrian's Camp?

6. The State Management Scheme was introduced to try and cut down on boozing amongst munition and construction workers at the Gretna powder factory. A large percentage were Oirish. I was in Carlisle when it finished in about 1973 and not many were sad to see it go.

7. Indeed I did, 60th Training Regt RAC; basic for NHS Household Cavalry and armoured car regiments - but was commissioned into the Tanks (avoiding Catterick thank God). Theakstons bought it before they themselves were taken over, if I remember rightly. Good, cheap ale though when state-run.

8. Council beer you say?

I've always wanted a beer tap in my house.

9. Gretna was a massive complex and the danger from drunken idiots was huge. Understandable that they closed all but one of the breweries but typical that once the state had its sticky hands on it they wouldn't let go. Make drinking as miserable (and pricey) as possible for the lower classes has always been the motto of our legislators who themselves can down subsidised booze at all hours in the Commons' bars. Wasn't there another town with similar state pubs - Rosyth ?

10. Anyone with sense used to drink in the working mens clubs etc. Better beer and even cheaper.

11. Alas, as a squaddie I wasn't classed as a working man. Trust you're not lauding Federation keg bitter ?