Caretaker of Kabuls British cemetery Rahimullah dies

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Skynet, Mar 21, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From The Times
    March 20, 2010
    Caretaker of Kabul's British cemetery Rahimullah dies

Rahimullah looked after the British cemetery in Kabul for almost 30 years
    Jerome Starkey, Kabul
    RECOMMEND? (3)
    To a shopkeeper with a few sheep in a part of Kabul, a well-watered patch of grass with high walls to fend off the urban sprawl was prime city-centre grazing. It didn’t matter to Rahimullah that it was an old British cemetery.

It was a few years after Russian troops had invaded and the previous caretaker had died. Most of the foreign diplomats had fled and the hippies had long since moved on. According to his son, Abdul Samay, the newly married Rahimullah took it upon himself — and his sheep — to keep the grass in check. So began a new career.

Last week, after almost 30 years of tending the graves in the British Cemetery — through a second foreign invasion, Taleban rule and a civil war — the elderly caretaker was laid to rest in a Muslim graveyard not far from where he worked.

His son has taken over. He gets paid a few pounds a day by the British Embassy but now the sheep are rarely, if ever, seen inside
  2. I met this wonderful old man in 2003 whilst visiting the cemetery. I'm sure his son was there too. An Amazing place with a long story. How he managed to protect it over the years god knows. I'm glad I took tea with him when I had the chance.
  3. I hope our embassy made a contribution to his funeral costs.