Carer wins case for unfair dismissal

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Salad_Fingers, Jan 31, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The case was highlighted on the six o'clock news, the woman in question has a disabled son (didn't specify what condition, he looked fairly content playing with some toys on the feature) which caused her to take a large amount of time off to care for him. Apparently she was a victim of discrimination as a number of her colleagues (who had to pick up her workload while off) believed she was using her son as an excuse to take time off work with one apparently saying "your son is always fcuking sick!"

Regardless of the rights and wrongs of the case in question if it is upheld it will set the precedent for carers to demand flexible hours unavailable to their average colleague. If this is the case it will add yet another reason for employers to discriminate against candidates due to their background (women of child bearing age and Caucasian candidates to fill ethnicity quota's spring to mind). But I digress. My main point is the long running obsession with rights legislation.

Every few weeks it seems another victimized employee wins a case where their "rights" have been infringed. Though this may give a warm glow to those of a left wing persuasion, it shows the tendency of the increasing level of red tape business's have to put up with.

This is rather ironic, while we are taking measures that are following the traditional European model of business management, President Nicolas Sarkozy of France and Chancellor Angela Merkel of Germany are attempting reforms along the "Anglo-Saxon" flexible free market model. This, coupled with the increasingly sophisticated markets emerging in Asia and Eastern Europe, makes me wonder if were setting ourselves up for a fall in 10-15 years time.

These countries offer extensive incentives to multi-nation companies to relocate and have an increasingly skilled work force. This is only going to improve in the coming years as their economies mature putting increasing pressure on our economy. This will be particularly evident in the top end of the secondary sector and possibly tertiary markets that Western Companies have traditionally dominated.

One current example is the Nokia Bochum Plant in Germany. This plant is being outsourced to Romania.

"Labor costs in Germany are nearly 10 times those in EU newcomer Romania, where it plans to move most of the production.

This highlights the challenge posed by emerging markets, not only from India and China but on Western Europe's own doorstep.

The current obsession with rights and increasing regulation of the market is the wrong road to follow, we should be deregulating our markets, not only to attract new business but to keep the ones we already have rather than feeding the obsession for equality to all in all matters regardless of the cost.

Rant over.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7219097.stm
    http://www.news.com/German-unions-urge-Nokia-boycott-over-plant-closure/2100-1041_3-6226648.html
    http://www.consultoras.org/Frontals/Detalle_Contenidos/_tYsBraNzHW7Yjdp6R1wUjCLrST1t7WtSuB2prbxUKDI

2. and this is Army related how??

3. OK, so that was a bit harsh, I'll rephrase.

And this is Army related how?? Or mildly interesting how??

4. Well as this is the current affairs and news forum its somewhat relevant to state of the country we signed up to serve.

Rights legislation is what allows RAF typists to get £400,000 for carpal tunnel syndrome as opposed to this fella who got £150,000 after having both legs blown off.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/south_yorkshire/6966684.stm

This isn't intended to start a debate on army vs civilian compensation just pointing out the link to the bloke above.

5. Sorry but I do not see your point. Employment rights have nothing to do with compensation that service people receive from injury's when operationally deployed. Bullets, Mines and FF do not discriminate. There is no such thing as a gender bender mine or afro Caribbean 7.62. We all agree the Armed Forces compensation package still needs more work.
    In regards to the woman with the disabled child.
    I'm sure she did not plan or intend to have a disabled child in the same manner that no member of the forces actively plans to sustain life changing injury's.

I know that the Armed Forces are extremely good at looking after soldiers who have children with special needs and years before this ruling.

6. If you're outraged, why don't you actually meet your local MP to complain, voice your views, and get some feedback?? People love to copy and paste complete cr@p on here, and personally I find some of it very dull.

Complaining on a website won't do anything!

7. One other point. Ben Parkinson's parent's will need to take time of work for appointments ect as they most probably are his main cares. So the ruling is a good one.