Career RMP - Considering

Discussion in 'AGC, RAPTC and SASC' started by snazmeister, Feb 27, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm 29 yrs old and still got a few months before I reach the cut off point. I'm considering a career as either RMP & another Corp.

However my question is, will I have the worst time of my life leaving my civvi job and going through Phase1/2 etc? At the moment I make very good money working in IT, making £38k+

I'm looking for recommendations on whether I should bother or not. I know people may say make up your own mind, but I'm looking for advice/experience from people who have joined the military late in life as soldier entry.

This is very generalised but I hope you guys can help

Rgds

M....

2. You don't say what is making you think of this. £38K in IT is not an outstanding level - do you think you have gone as far as you can? Has your significant other joked about your waistline? Are you just bored? Do you mean as an officer or as an OR? Why especially police?
    See - cannot help if we do not know more. If you want a very general answer, I'd say stay where you are in the civilian life. The life is quite physical and many soldiers will tell you that they are burned out at 25 - para even younger.

3. I have been thinking of this since I was 18 yr old. I applied, got to attestation point and then backed out for a woman, as us men always do. I then broached this at a later stage, but ended up with severe pneumonia and told by the Glencourse Medic's to leave it for 1 yr, after which I went through far too many tests whilst I built my fitness back up. Now I'm back at it, fitness isn't too much of a problem and never has been. Waistline is the same since I was 18. My other half (not married either) is supporting me with whatever I want to do.

I'm not bored far from it. I enjoy my job and I'm progressing nicely at the moment. I'm just at the age of where I know if I leave it any longer I might regret it forever etc...

Reasons for the Police: Granddad was RMP in WW2, Dad was Para and Provost. I've got friends in who recommend being an MP is a good life. I've read plenty about it, spoken to MP's etc and everything about it is interesting and makes me want to experience more and more.

Ask me anything else and I will gladly answer. I also have an alternative career in mind (as I know you always have to have one too) which would be RLC Air Despatcher. I would and only do want to be a soldier, not officer. I dont have a degree anyway.

4. Why do you want to leave a career that pays you so much? it will take you years to get to the same earning levels, Unless you want a career that is more as a vocation, or there are other reasons why you want to join, can you can go from being able to make your own descisions to being told what to do and when to do it?

Sparky

I took to long to write my post, why not join a technical Corps like the RE??

5. You said it. It is the vocation, experience and life that you can obtain from being in the army. As for the monetary aspect of it all I know that will not make £38k a yr and that doesn't bother me.

Being told how things should and shouldn't happen is par to the course and something I am fully prepared for.

As for RE - not interested and would like to break away from IT to do something altogether different.

6. I this isn't my forum but have you looked at the TA, it might suit you?

7. At least if you do decide to join the RMP, they are just about to go onto higher payband, their role is changing more and more, from the outside and to me anyway.

Have a look here to have look at the wages.

http://www.army.mod.uk/linked_files/ag/servingsoldier/money_matters/Armed_Forces__Pay_Review_Body.pdf

Starting wages 12162 PA then look at the higher band rates of pay and see if you will be able to manage on a 26k pay drop, if you think that it might be a drama why not think about the TA, they provide a very important role and go on just as many Ops.

Sparky

8. TA RMP is only in Edinburgh and I'm miles away from there so that isn't workable.

Considering my outgoings and the sacrifices I'd have to make, the 26k pay cut is managable. A shock to the system to start with of course, but nothing that doesn't scare me off. You have to make sacrifices at the end of the day. 1 step back and all that....

9. If you join either as an OR or as an Officer, it'll be a long long time before you see £38k +.

You've left it a bit late in the game. Join the TA, that way you get your 'soldiering fix', some extra dosh and you get to keep your £38k +.

Believe me, you will regret giving up that amount of money to live in the block or an MSQ in Hohne or wherever you go. To risk losing that amount of money on a 'hope' is niaive to say the least. At your age, with your life experience and financial solvency, you will very quickly come to ask yourself "What have I done?". Stating that losing 26k per annum will be a shock to the system is an understatement, either that or you're only here to pull our p*ssers.

Pop down to your local TA Centre mate. You'll enjoy both sides of life and remain solvent in the process.

That's the best advice you'll get, I promise you.

10. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Seconding Biscuits on that one. TA RMP in more places than Edinburgh I thought?

11. At 29, you should try the TA for your "in green" fix.

Get your recruits course out of the way, a trade course under your belt, and then apply for FTRS. Then the Army is seen as a curious addition to your CV, (almost like a gap year) rather than a "WTF?!?" reaction by a recruitment consultant if it doesn't work out the way you hoped.

There are plenty of civilian companies that don't pay £38k, let alone the MoD, and if you find that the military isn't all you thought it was going to be, getting re-hired at the same level is going to be interesting.

There are some choices in life that we have to make at certain times - my view is that joining the Army is a thing to do when you're under 25, where you can enjoy the experience, and if it's not for you after 3/4 years, you can get out with a lot to offer an employer, and certainly more real world experience than a lot of your contemporaries.

After 25, you've generally got a reasonable job, social life, support net, and throwing that all up in the air has to have a pretty good rationale behind it.

I'd be very curious to hear what someone at an ACIO would have to say to someone in your position.

My bias is hoping that they'd suggest the TA.

12. It isn't so much a green fix as some of you guys have said, it's more along the lines of a career I've not followed even though I have thought many times of doing it. For numerous reasons on the way it hasn't happened but now there is nothing to stop me.

OK, I know if I hit the 'WTF have I done' I'm somewhat screwed for a wee while and that is something you have to hopefully prevent. Your right about the TA option and I've looked at that, but I dont want to be doing some job that I have no interest in. I am not one seeking to be infantry, medic or driver (being the roles mainly available where I am from). So I'm looking at the FTRS option from the start.

29 I know is a very late age to join and I'd like to hear from someone who has joined at my age or a little less. This way I can judge from their experiences of Phase 1 etc on whether this would be something for me.

ACIO - they haven't really pushed me away, just look at me and go, if you want it, then go for it. I've completed the BARB so far with flying colours and now I'm awaiting the next stage.... I was ready for the 'are you crazy?' type questions, but I've not had such a thing said to me.

I am in a bit of a dilemma on what to do

13. Believe me, I'm not here to pull your plod. Literally am stuck for what to do.
    Money isn't everything to me, otherwise I'd be sat here laughing at myself for suggesting such a irrational and perplexing career change. However it is one of those things that will not go away.

14. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Snaz,

Check your PM

Duke

15. and you for my reply