Career opportunity for ex forces.

Hi everyone, apologies if this is in the wrong section, i looked around but couldn't see a suitable spot.
I'm ex Army, now a London cabbie, at a recent meeting we discovered that the numbers of people applying for the knowledge of London are at an all time low, instead of approximately 6000 people there are around 600.
This is partly because of scaremongering with regards to Uber, but uber hasn't really affected our work levels.
its also down to a shambolic regulator TFL not advertising our trade.
The reason I'm here is because I'm looking for information and advice on how to go about getting ex forces personnel to at least look into becoming a black cab driver.
My colleague has contacted Help for Heroes, i contacted the Army careers office but I'm still waiting for a reply, I've also contacted TFL directly and I'm wanting to arrange a meeting with them but i need advice on possible funding for students, advertising in soldier magazine etc before i go there.
It's a fantastic, rewarding job, you can work whenever you like, the money is good and so on.
I just want to help any ex forces guys out and also make sure my trade maintains the high standards it already has because if we don't get the numbers then they'll just make it easier to pass.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
John.

I know at least 5 ex RGJ who are black cab drivers and one who is currently doing the knowledge.

I think it's one of those things that if you want to become one, you put the time and effort into finding out the coup and then go for it.

To be fair, I never imagined that there was an actual shortage of the golf playing, right wing, know it all b*stards ;-)

I think you need to approach the other end of the process, i.e Have you thought about getting in touch with the resettlement magazines, - Easy Resettlement or Quest and see if you can get an article in? Speak to the CTP to ensure that the opportunity gets featured.

I'm sure I have not covered everything so other Arrsers may be able to help...

Hi everyone, apologies if this is in the wrong section, i looked around but couldn't see a suitable spot.
I'm ex Army, now a London cabbie, at a recent meeting we discovered that the numbers of people applying for the knowledge of London are at an all time low, instead of approximately 6000 people there are around 600.
This is partly because of scaremongering with regards to Uber, but uber hasn't really affected our work levels.
its also down to a shambolic regulator TFL not advertising our trade.
The reason I'm here is because I'm looking for information and advice on how to go about getting ex forces personnel to at least look into becoming a black cab driver.
My colleague has contacted Help for Heroes, i contacted the Army careers office but I'm still waiting for a reply, I've also contacted TFL directly and I'm wanting to arrange a meeting with them but i need advice on possible funding for students, advertising in soldier magazine etc before i go there.
It's a fantastic, rewarding job, you can work whenever you like, the money is good and so on.
I just want to help any ex forces guys out and also make sure my trade maintains the high standards it already has because if we don't get the numbers then they'll just make it easier to pass.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
John.
Contact ctp.org.uk

Haha, there can never be enough of them mate. Joking aside, not a lot of people know about it, it's definitely a worthwhile career opportunity.
But what's the money like?

But what's the money like?
Well, you never see a poor one - but my very limited knowledge of it, is that the cab cost a fair whack that you pay off with a special low rate loan
My buds who are cabbies, seem to be alright though dosh wise ..plus you get the added bonus on their opinions on just about every fecking thing and the fact that all seem to think that they'd make great Prime Ministers ;-)

Sorry mate, didn't see your question about the money, put it this way, you'll never be a millionaire but you can set yourself a target and within reason, achieve it.
Thanks for your help guys, any questions please do not hesitate to contact me. Cheers.

Just been to a talk , by a Master Thatcher he said they get several joining the trade from the forces. Any on here gone into straw roofing, sounded very interesting .

CFB

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Slidex REME 0
Slidex Jobs Offered 0
Harsh_Reality Jobs Offered 89