Career Mismanagement / Service Complaint

I am looking for some information regarding career mismanagement and putting in a service complaint regarding it.

I have been in the infantry now for 5 years and have completed my JNCO Cadre over a year back ending in what I was told at the end of the course as a promote now. It has now been over a year and still no promotion. All the guys from my battalion who were on my course were all promoted at Christmas along with others who were on the course after me. I have asked my chain of command i.e. PNR Sgt, PNR Commander if they knew what was going on to which both replied with a shrug of the shoulders and a simple "I don't know." In my eyes that's a failing right there.

The big issue I have though is that no one has spoke to me regarding my course report nor have I seen it. I am on tour right now with a different company and having spoke to their OC he chased it up for me as he had asked when I was due to do my cadre. At first he came back to me and said that he had been on the last two boards and my name had never been mentioned. He then came back and said it seems like I have been overlooked. Now he has came back and said that 5 officers have looked at my file, deemed me not ready to promote and have since boarded me. Again, this supposedly happened some time ago and yet no one has spoken to me about it.

My SJAR's have all been at least promote 1UP, I have been fully fit throughout my career not failing any tests and I have never even had an AGAI to my name. There are also 4 pids available in my platoon for lCpl.

I am really bewildered as to what is going on and what I can do about it as by the time I have finished tour it will have been almost 2 years since the completion of my cadre.

The only reason I write to ask for info is because my Plt Sgt on tour has said that I should think about a service complaint for mismanagement of career however I have no idea where to start.

Any help or information on this would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Before anyone starts I am merely looking for info, not a hurl of abuse like I have seen on nearly every other thread.

Your bn should have a RCMO (regimental career management officer) this falls very much in his lap.

Check your sjars to ensure that they are indeed up to snuff.

You should have had a course report, including interview and two mid period appraisals indicating any failings on your behalf, in order for you to improve.

Google 'service complaint' for information on how to raise one.

Let the system have a go at fixing any failing on their behalf and if you're not satisfied chuck one in.

I am looking for some information regarding career mismanagement and putting in a service complaint regarding it.

I have been in the infantry now for 5 years and have completed my JNCO Cadre over a year back ending in what I was told at the end of the course as a promote now. It has now been over a year and still no promotion. All the guys from my battalion who were on my course were all promoted at Christmas along with others who were on the course after me. I have asked my chain of command i.e. PNR Sgt, PNR Commander if they knew what was going on to which both replied with a shrug of the shoulders and a simple "I don't know." In my eyes that's a failing right there.

The big issue I have though is that no one has spoke to me regarding my course report nor have I seen it. I am on tour right now with a different company and having spoke to their OC he chased it up for me as he had asked when I was due to do my cadre. At first he came back to me and said that he had been on the last two boards and my name had never been mentioned. He then came back and said it seems like I have been overlooked. Now he has came back and said that 5 officers have looked at my file, deemed me not ready to promote and have since boarded me. Again, this supposedly happened some time ago and yet no one has spoken to me about it.

My SJAR's have all been at least promote 1UP, I have been fully fit throughout my career not failing any tests and I have never even had an AGAI to my name. There are also 4 pids available in my platoon for lCpl.

I am really bewildered as to what is going on and what I can do about it as by the time I have finished tour it will have been almost 2 years since the completion of my cadre.

The only reason I write to ask for info is because my Plt Sgt on tour has said that I should think about a service complaint for mismanagement of career however I have no idea where to start.

Any help or information on this would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Before anyone starts I am merely looking for info, not a hurl of abuse like I have seen on nearly every other thread.

Usually only shite questions , written by gobby nigs or ********* get abused .....

You made it all the way to the bottom of the post before you set the 'knob - o - meter' tingling as you post is well written and contains valid comments.....

RCMO is the way to go .. good luck.

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Scoobz,

I'd suggest the following:

1. You absolutely can put in a Service Complaint, but it isn't going to fix the problem: it's a process independent of the chain of command and has no power of redress. More to the point, I'd suggest a Service Complaint is a last ditch move, as it's invariably going to piss off people who - in this case - you will need to approve your promotion. It's shite, I know, but that's the way the system works.

2. You need to try and tie down exactly where you have been turned down for promotion. Generally how promotion boards work is that you will be boarded at two levels: local level and higher level. The local level will select who goes forward to the next board, or with what recommendation or position. In your case, the local level is probably Coy, and the higher level is Bn. Your Plt Sgt or Comd will write a draft of your SJAR, you will go to the local board, your SJAR will be finalised by your Plt Comd or Coy OC/2IC, and then your complete SJAR will go to the higher board.

You need to re-read your SJARs from the one before you attended your promotion course to the present (sounds like 3). Check who is writing each one. The "1RO", who writes the Performance paragraph, should be your Plt Sgt or Plt Comd, and the "2RO" should be your Plt Comd or someone from Coy HQ. See if you are recommended for promotion in the following places: the tickbox for 1up / 2up promotion; the Potential paragraph; anywhere else. Also see if you are ranked (e.g. "Pte Scoobz is 4th out of 12" / "Pte Scoobz is in the middle third of the Coy"), and in which paragraph. Write all this stuff down so it is clear, for each of the SJARs.

How promotion boards work is that before your SJAR is finalised, your Plt / Coy headshead will get together and rank everyone on the board (everyone eligible for promotion) from top to bottom. There are different ways of ranking people, and I don't know how your Regt will work it. Those who are ranked above a pre-determined quality line get recommended for promotion to the higher board, in your case probably Bn. The SJARs are then finalised with the recommendation of the first board: this usually means the ranking (described above) within the Coy, and with wording in the Potential paragraph that recommends for promotion. This wording is "coded", so some recommendations are stronger than others. For example, "could promote" means a weak recommend, "should promote" means a normal recommend, "must promote" means a strong recommend. Then the SJARs are cleared through the immediate unit, and go to a higher level board (Bn, Bde, Div, or APC in Glasgow), the idea being that a higher level board where less people know the individuals personally won't be prejudiced.

You need to try and work out at which level your SJAR stopped. You may be able to ask the OC who helped you, since it seems like he has already checked, or the RCMO, to find out where it stopped. If your SJARs all tick 1up promotion, then it is likely to be either because of: wrong or omitted recommend language; a weak recommend at Coy level; didn't make the quality line on a board; or, possibly, admin error and your SJAR didn't make the board. Look for the following things: your Potential paragraph doesn't specifically recommend you for promotion or says "could promote"; low or average rankings (e.g. middle third or lower); anything that says you aren't ready for command / to promote. Tying down where it stopped lets you address the individual(s) concerned.

If you have been rejected for promotion by the final board, there is really nothing you can do, except see if the SJAR writing was inadequate or missed things. If you have not made the cut on the earlier boards, then you can ask the relevant officer(s) why not, since your SJARs recommend promotion. It is possible that something has been actively missed or missed out (eg your SJAR hasn't been sent to a board because it was written late or missed out), but that is your only real chance of getting a redress, and it doesn't happen that often.

(If I had to take a guess, I'd say that from the information you give above, you haven't been given a recommend at Coy level, and so your SJAR never made it to the Bn board. Don't assume this is correct, do step 3 below and check! However, if that is the case, you need to ask your Plt / Coy headshead why you are getting recommends but not being sent forward at boards.)

3. Find a friendly, respected officer who isn't in your chain of command, this current OC seems like a good bet. Ask for help to understand why you aren't promoting: don't ask for help to prepare a Service Complaint! Unsurprisingly you are unlikely to get anyone who is willing to help. Ask them to go through the SJARs and promotion process with you and explain where exactly it has halted. Ask them to ask the RCMO to check if your SJARs went to all the boards they should have gone to. The key thing here is that if there is an actual fault (e.g. poorly written SJARs, missed deadlines), the officer reviewing it with you should recognise that and may be more likely to address matters behind the scenes: this, to be honest, is probably the best bet you have of getting the problem solved. They aren't going to be able to get you backdated promotion from last year - they may be able to make sure you get promoted this year, so that is your aim.

4. You have another option which is - if you're on tour with another company for more than 6 months total - to ask another company to write your SJAR draft. You may not be boarded in the company, but since you've spent more than half a year under another chain of command, you can ask for them to write on you instead. This will at least ensure that someone else is writing your SJAR. If you can't get this, ensure that you have a tour insert written by the Coy you are with at the moment, and ensure that the first draft of your next SJAR (when it gets sent to you on JPA to click through) reflects what is in your tour insert.

During all of the above, make sure that you write it all down and keep notes of what you find - that is what you have to do for a Service Complaint in any case.
  • If at any point an actual mistake is identified, and you have a officer outside the chain of command who recognises it (because you did step 3.), ask if you can be awarded Acting rank immediately: not Local or anything else. Acting rank means you will get the stripe and be paid accordingly, if you are in an appropriate PID (which you said are open, so there shouldn't be any reason why they can't put you in one). Then wait for this year's board, and ensure that your Acting rank is in your SJAR.
  • If a mistake isn't identified, but you have been turned down by the boards (either because of weak recommends for you or because there were particularly strong individuals being boarded), ask step 3 officer for that to be highlighted to your chain of command, in an email to which you're copied in. You aren't asking for anything: you are simply asking them to point out that you have been boarded for promotion 3 times with recommends and still haven't promoted. You are trying to ensure that someone other than you is prodding them to write a much stronger recommend this year. Wait for this year's board.
  • If there is some other reason...take the advice of your step 3 officer or RCMO, and see what happens this year.
KEEP EVERYTHING YOU HAVE WRITTEN DOWN. Make sure it has dates on it, and copies of emails etc.

If, after all of the above, nothing happens and you still get seen off this year: bang in a Service Complaint. You've pushed the system to do what it should do automatically, and they will have absolutely no leg to stand on. One of two things will happen: either they'll stop recommending you and will have to explain why to a wider audience, or you'll promote. Bear in mind, you can bang in a Service Complaint at any time you want. If you like, you can do all of the above, find a mistake, get it rectified immediately, get Acting and promote...and still write a Service Complaint afterwards. The difference is that going through the steps above, although it's a pain in the arse, might actually get your promotion.

I'm not going to justify the way the stuff works above, or that you have to do this when it should be your chain of command doing it: personally I think it's a bag of balls, it is done badly far too much, and blokes like you suffer for it. But that is the way it works, and unfortunately you aren't going to change it. Promotions and reporting are, ultimately, based on the subjective opinions of the headshead, and that makes them extremely difficult to "prove" wrong, because they can always say they simply disagree.

Focus on getting your promotion: once you have done, and you have an idea of why it didn't go through, see if you still want to do the Service Complaint.

verticalgyro

MIA
DirtyBAT
Scoobz,

I'd suggest the following:

1. You absolutely can put in a Service Complaint, but it isn't going to fix the problem: it's a process independent of the chain of command and has no power of redress. More to the point, I'd suggest a Service Complaint is a last ditch move, as it's invariably going to piss off people who - in this case - you will need to approve your promotion. It's shite, I know, but that's the way the system works.

2. You need to try and tie down exactly where you have been turned down for promotion. Generally how promotion boards work is that you will be boarded at two levels: local level and higher level. The local level will select who goes forward to the next board, or with what recommendation or position. In your case, the local level is probably Coy, and the higher level is Bn. Your Plt Sgt or Comd will write a draft of your SJAR, you will go to the local board, your SJAR will be finalised by your Plt Comd or Coy OC/2IC, and then your complete SJAR will go to the higher board.

You need to re-read your SJARs from the one before you attended your promotion course to the present (sounds like 3). Check who is writing each one. The "1RO", who writes the Performance paragraph, should be your Plt Sgt or Plt Comd, and the "2RO" should be your Plt Comd or someone from Coy HQ. See if you are recommended for promotion in the following places: the tickbox for 1up / 2up promotion; the Potential paragraph; anywhere else. Also see if you are ranked (e.g. "Pte Scoobz is 4th out of 12" / "Pte Scoobz is in the middle third of the Coy"), and in which paragraph. Write all this stuff down so it is clear, for each of the SJARs.

How promotion boards work is that before your SJAR is finalised, your Plt / Coy headshead will get together and rank everyone on the board (everyone eligible for promotion) from top to bottom. There are different ways of ranking people, and I don't know how your Regt will work it. Those who are ranked above a pre-determined quality line get recommended for promotion to the higher board, in your case probably Bn. The SJARs are then finalised with the recommendation of the first board: this usually means the ranking (described above) within the Coy, and with wording in the Potential paragraph that recommends for promotion. This wording is "coded", so some recommendations are stronger than others. For example, "could promote" means a weak recommend, "should promote" means a normal recommend, "must promote" means a strong recommend. Then the SJARs are cleared through the immediate unit, and go to a higher level board (Bn, Bde, Div, or APC in Glasgow), the idea being that a higher level board where less people know the individuals personally won't be prejudiced.

You need to try and work out at which level your SJAR stopped. You may be able to ask the OC who helped you, since it seems like he has already checked, or the RCMO, to find out where it stopped. If your SJARs all tick 1up promotion, then it is likely to be either because of: wrong or omitted recommend language; a weak recommend at Coy level; didn't make the quality line on a board; or, possibly, admin error and your SJAR didn't make the board. Look for the following things: your Potential paragraph doesn't specifically recommend you for promotion or says "could promote"; low or average rankings (e.g. middle third or lower); anything that says you aren't ready for command / to promote. Tying down where it stopped lets you address the individual(s) concerned.

If you have been rejected for promotion by the final board, there is really nothing you can do, except see if the SJAR writing was inadequate or missed things. If you have not made the cut on the earlier boards, then you can ask the relevant officer(s) why not, since your SJARs recommend promotion. It is possible that something has been actively missed or missed out (eg your SJAR hasn't been sent to a board because it was written late or missed out), but that is your only real chance of getting a redress, and it doesn't happen that often.

(If I had to take a guess, I'd say that from the information you give above, you haven't been given a recommend at Coy level, and so your SJAR never made it to the Bn board. Don't assume this is correct, do step 3 below and check! However, if that is the case, you need to ask your Plt / Coy headshead why you are getting recommends but not being sent forward at boards.)

3. Find a friendly, respected officer who isn't in your chain of command, this current OC seems like a good bet. Ask for help to understand why you aren't promoting: don't ask for help to prepare a Service Complaint! Unsurprisingly you are unlikely to get anyone who is willing to help. Ask them to go through the SJARs and promotion process with you and explain where exactly it has halted. Ask them to ask the RCMO to check if your SJARs went to all the boards they should have gone to. The key thing here is that if there is an actual fault (e.g. poorly written SJARs, missed deadlines), the officer reviewing it with you should recognise that and may be more likely to address matters behind the scenes: this, to be honest, is probably the best bet you have of getting the problem solved. They aren't going to be able to get you backdated promotion from last year - they may be able to make sure you get promoted this year, so that is your aim.

4. You have another option which is - if you're on tour with another company for more than 6 months total - to ask another company to write your SJAR draft. You may not be boarded in the company, but since you've spent more than half a year under another chain of command, you can ask for them to write on you instead. This will at least ensure that someone else is writing your SJAR. If you can't get this, ensure that you have a tour insert written by the Coy you are with at the moment, and ensure that the first draft of your next SJAR (when it gets sent to you on JPA to click through) reflects what is in your tour insert.

During all of the above, make sure that you write it all down and keep notes of what you find - that is what you have to do for a Service Complaint in any case.
  • If at any point an actual mistake is identified, and you have a officer outside the chain of command who recognises it (because you did step 3.), ask if you can be awarded Acting rank immediately: not Local or anything else. Acting rank means you will get the stripe and be paid accordingly, if you are in an appropriate PID (which you said are open, so there shouldn't be any reason why they can't put you in one). Then wait for this year's board, and ensure that your Acting rank is in your SJAR.
  • If a mistake isn't identified, but you have been turned down by the boards (either because of weak recommends for you or because there were particularly strong individuals being boarded), ask step 3 officer for that to be highlighted to your chain of command, in an email to which you're copied in. You aren't asking for anything: you are simply asking them to point out that you have been boarded for promotion 3 times with recommends and still haven't promoted. You are trying to ensure that someone other than you is prodding them to write a much stronger recommend this year. Wait for this year's board.
  • If there is some other reason...take the advice of your step 3 officer or RCMO, and see what happens this year.
KEEP EVERYTHING YOU HAVE WRITTEN DOWN. Make sure it has dates on it, and copies of emails etc.

If, after all of the above, nothing happens and you still get seen off this year: bang in a Service Complaint. You've pushed the system to do what it should do automatically, and they will have absolutely no leg to stand on. One of two things will happen: either they'll stop recommending you and will have to explain why to a wider audience, or you'll promote. Bear in mind, you can bang in a Service Complaint at any time you want. If you like, you can do all of the above, find a mistake, get it rectified immediately, get Acting and promote...and still write a Service Complaint afterwards. The difference is that going through the steps above, although it's a pain in the arse, might actually get your promotion.

I'm not going to justify the way the stuff works above, or that you have to do this when it should be your chain of command doing it: personally I think it's a bag of balls, it is done badly far too much, and blokes like you suffer for it. But that is the way it works, and unfortunately you aren't going to change it. Promotions and reporting are, ultimately, based on the subjective opinions of the headshead, and that makes them extremely difficult to "prove" wrong, because they can always say they simply disagree.

Focus on getting your promotion: once you have done, and you have an idea of why it didn't go through, see if you still want to do the Service Complaint.

This should be in a sticky thread tiled "Why haven't I promoted this year and what can I do about it?"

Wish I could give you two likes, bookmarked for reference when the question gets asked again I can send them here, thanks for taking the time @Sarastro .

Latest Threads