career limiting move... oopsie!

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by shrew, Dec 18, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. erm... having done the honorable thing and told my employer that I 'may' be mobilised to somewhere cold and mountainous, he's said he won't release me.

To which I then told him, if he were to do that I would resign...

Words of comfort/solidarity needed.

argh

shrew

2. That was a bad move, you should just have nodded politely, then told him to feck off when the envelope dropped through your door. Either that, or just pulled a six month sickie.

3. ... NOW yer tells me!

4. It also depends on who your employer is and what you do for them. To cater for these sorts of circumstances even voluntary mobilisations are "compulsory" and he may not have the choice in the matter that he thinks he has unless he can make a really compelling case that you are indispensible - this usually includes having the legal obligation to take you back afterwards. whether you choose to go back afterwards is, of course, a different question!

Either way, good luck with it

5. I'm a scientist and he's a clinician. I basically run his lab...

6. sorry to hear that...

i'm lookin to get a job with a company thats part of the defence estates, i asked them what their policy was of reservists,

he said 'ur, not too sure, spose we part of MOD, better the them at the interview' woops,

better keep quiet till i rejoin and then pass on the good news at a later date...

7. Then he might have a point, particularly if your TA employment doesn't rely on your scientific skills. This is where I bow out I am afraid, because there must be many out there who know more about this than I do.

Whichever way it goes, good luck!

8. Get on to Sabre.

9. Be very careful with the expression 'I resign' during a recession. Unless you have very unique skills he may have a queue waiting to fill the vacancy at the drop of a hat.

10. You have a choice. Keep your job or get mobilised. And that all the comfort there is I'm afraid.

When you ask to be mobilised your CoC shouldn't put your name forward unless your employer agrees, not if they're complying with current LAND policy. Should you get the brown envelope you will hand your boss a wodge of papers that tell him in detail how to appeal against your mobilisation. While it is not guaranteed he'll win it might as well be as I'm not aware of any employers losing - they're trying as hard as they can not to annoy them any more. (That's why they insist they're onside before mobilising of course)

And never, ever try and mislead the boss. Lying is usually grounds for summary dismissal - the fact it was about the Army will not help. Hell, in my book the Army should then AGAI you for being a lying scrote. But I'm sure you wouldn't, so don't take that remark personally.

Decision time then. It's a tough choice, good luck with it.

11. msr

msr LE

And I wonder what sort of reference he is going to write when you ask for one...

msr

12. This won't be much help to you but I resigned from my job to be mobilised as a regular reservist in 2004 (sense of obligation etc etc). Doing so screwed my life up royally for a few years - no job to go home to, social life down the pan, out of the race with my peers and all the rest of it. I know I'm far from being the only one in that situation. However, I wouldn't go back and change things for the world.

Basically, it's your call and your call alone. Can you live more with your normal life taking a knock or with spending the rest of your life wondering whether you should have deployed as a young man? Up to you...

13. join regs?

14. Not true OotS - recent case were it went to appeal and the employer lost.

15. Well, you live and learn don't you. Thanks for that.