Career in the TA?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by MiKe19, Nov 11, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. How do all.

Situation: 21 years old, in a minimum wage job ,still living at home.

I've been pondering on the armed forces for the last few years. Was more set to Regular but have a commitment (the other half). I've been more or less set on climbing the career ladder through the years, or at least actually having a career. Which is why the army appeals to me aswell as other factors.

Just wondered if anyone with experience whilst in the TA,if you can make two ends meet whilst having a low income wage? Or am i barking up the wrong tree.

Thanks for any replies.

2. You're picking a bad time for TA; the stop - go - stop - go - wait out training restrictions have put many a course, exercise and drill night in jeopardy. The only way to make any 'Top up cash' or at least complete enough days/weekend would be to find a unit that is completing plenty of drill nights and weekends or do an Op Tour, or to grab an elusive FTRS job.

With the Forces being fully recruited at the moment, unless you can bring a highly sought after skill to the game I personally don't think you'll have much luck.

Have you thought about RAF reserve/auxiliary types or RNR/RMR? I haven't seen them suffering as many training restrictions as we have had imposed.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

(Personally - I'd go for the regs if I were in your shoes.)

3. Mate, go for the regs. The likelihood is, even if you do join the TA, that it wont bring in enough income for you to move out etc etc. Sod your other half, you need to think about your future, and living with your mum at 21 is a tad sad. I know you want to have your cake and eat it, as it were, but I doubt youll be able to.

4. I wish I'd had enough balls at 21 to do what you should do. Join up! You'll have a rewarding time in the TA but its not a career. The other half will understand and support you or leave. Tough choice, but you have to follow your heart or resent her for the rest of your life.

5. Ive served in the TA on top of other employments of varying pay scales and it is always a bonus but you only get out of the TA what you put in. I think it also depends on what jobs/taskings are needing done. Being in a transport unit there was always servicing needing done or moving pieces of equipment for other units, so there were plenty of days to be had when i wasnt working.

With the current situation things are a bit all over the place but theres plenty to be had from the TA regarding qualifications and even FTRS postings which are postings for TA personnel to work in a regular role with a regular unit for an agreed length of time. for example i was offered a 3 year posting working in MT with scots DG's in germany.

Its also easier to transfer across to regs from ta if you find its the sort of thing for you, and before people start having a go im aware that regs are quite possibly nothing like the TA the work in the TA would give you some idea of what its like.

7. What they said - you know you really want to.

8. Same issues with money/training. Training on hold, been told not to attend just now until given the all clear :(

9. I'm 22 years old and I'm going through training to join the TA. I'd say if you're looking for a second income, the TA is probably not the best way to go. I've been paid about £130 and I've done every drill night since June and 2 weekends. Admittedly the bounty will come in handy(if I get it), but with all the hoohars with cuts etc, will the bounty remain untouched? We can only speculate.

If I was you I'd go regular, the only reason why I didn't go regular is because I love my civvy job and I'd have to take a monemental pay cut.

Maybe have a word with the Mrs say why you want to join, if she loves you she will support you. If not, f*ck her best mate! Then you can join!

10. Ah, the wisdom of crowds. To everyone who has advised this poor young chap that the best thing for him to do in his current situation is join the regs - if necessary binning the other half - I say:

I AGREE