Career gap and higher education

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by g2_loony_bin, Jun 4, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have heard recently about a potential new scheme that allows a soldier to have a career "gap" of up to 2 or 3 years.

I'm in Int Corps and very interested in studying a masters that is connected to my professional experience. I want to know if this gap scheme is a reality, and any problems (if any) there would be when it comes to getting back in and secondly what sort of support (mainly financial) the army would give me?

This is something I've thought over a great deal since I want this education desperately and want to retain a career within my Corps.

Please help!!!

2. It's not a new scheme - unless I have not heard about it.

Essentially it is along the same lines as taking time out to be a parent. You apply, your application is granted, you take time out and then rejoin. Sounds quite simple but there are hidden costs such as restrictions on pinch point trades, extending your colour service for pension rights, trade manning etc.

I don't know what the criteria is but I am conviced that I have seen a DCI on the matter, although it was some time ago and therefore probalby no longer an authority.

Hopefully someone else can offer a bit more help.