Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Career Decision or.......Indecision.

Having recently left the Army after a long and glorious career I find myself at a loss of what to do (I wont be the first soldier to have felt like that on leaving I'm sure!) I'm an intelligent guy and prepared thoroughly for leaving, BA(Hons) in Business and lots of other qualifications that civilians seem to like. My diligence has paid off and I have two really good offers on the table, one from a Banking & Financial Services Institution that you would know and the other from a very, very well known...……...ah f*ck it, its Amazon. Now both these roles are middle management and pay well (between 45-49k) and include nice bonuses, perks etc.

Now, while it is great for my confidence to be offered these kind of roles, I'm just not sure if I want the hassle and responsibility in my life. I mean, civilian companies don't throw around these salaries willy-nilly and are going to want their "pound of flesh". Do I need the stress?

I've given some thought to a career that involves zero stress, wait for it...…………..MPGS!! OK, OK, stop laughing and hear me out. Yes, the starting salary is 20k but I have no debts, responsibilities and am a single guy so my SLA would probably be about £60 a month. It is 4 days on 4 days off so I can get another job if I so wish. I made a list of things I wouldn't be paying If I went this route;

• Rent/Mortgage
  • Council Tax
  • Electric/Gas/Water etc.
  • Home/Contents Insurance
  • Gym Membership
  • Dental Insurance
Now, that little lot would be 10k a year which puts the MPGS starting salary up to 30k a year in real terms. Plus I have my lump sum (50k) and my pension (10.5k PA).

So, do I go for a stress free life of stagging on a gate for a modest lifestyle that is relatively recession safe or do I pull my finger out, work hard and earn the big bucks?

Thoughts please...….

Having recently left the Army after a long and glorious career I find myself at a loss of what to do (I wont be the first soldier to have felt like that on leaving I'm sure!) I'm an intelligent guy and prepared thoroughly for leaving, BA(Hons) in Business and lots of other qualifications that civilians seem to like. My diligence has paid off and I have two really good offers on the table, one from a Banking & Financial Services Institution that you would know and the other from a very, very well known...……...ah f*ck it, its Amazon. Now both these roles are middle management and pay well (between 45-49k) and include nice bonuses, perks etc.

Now, while it is great for my confidence to be offered these kind of roles, I'm just not sure if I want the hassle and responsibility in my life. I mean, civilian companies don't throw around these salaries willy-nilly and are going to want their "pound of flesh". Do I need the stress?

I've given some thought to a career that involves zero stress, wait for it...…………..MPGS!! OK, OK, stop laughing and hear me out. Yes, the starting salary is 20k but I have no debts, responsibilities and am a single guy so my SLA would probably be about £60 a month. It is 4 days on 4 days off so I can get another job if I so wish. I made a list of things I wouldn't be paying If I went this route;

• Rent/Mortgage
  • Council Tax
  • Gym Membership
  • Dental Insurance
Now, that little lot would be 10k a year which puts the MPGS starting salary up to 30k a year in real terms. Plus I have my lump sum (50k) and my pension (10.5k PA).

So, do I go for a stress free life of stagging on a gate for a modest lifestyle that is relatively recession safe or do I pull my finger out, work hard and earn the big bucks?

Thoughts please...….

MPGS..... Have some dignity man!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What is your gut instinct honestly telling you?

morsk

LE
There's more to life than money. Which would make you the most happy?

Himmler74

On ROPS
On ROPs

• Rent/Mortgage
  • Council Tax
  • Gym Membership
  • Dental Insurance

Thoughts please...….
Do not touch amazon with a barge pole, MPGS, do it!

Himmler74

On ROPS
On ROPs
There’s also more to life than stagging on.
Yep but Amazon is not. Factor in COVID-19 and the shit storm in unemployment, At the moment I would go MPGS and wait and see.

lert

LE
Having been in a similar position myself a couple of years ago I can offer two observations.

~45k really isn't that much money and not really reflective of middle management. At least not for the type of organisations you're talking to. I'm happily ensconced in the city and people would be expecting to hit that mark after 4 or so years as grad entrants.

I wouldn't work for Amazon if they paid me three times that. They've got a reputation for hiring from the Forces it's true but that's because they love to rinse the can-do attitude out of them before they leave, fucked, in a couple of years or less.

Actually, I've got three observations.

Don't understimate how much you'll have tonpay just to get to work when it's no longer a 5 minute bimble from the patch or the mess. That's as true of Manchester, Leeds or Edinburgh as it is of London.

Though the MPGS role sounds cushty, I think you would rapidly get bored of being a barrier technician.
As to Amazon, I see they are advertising their recruitment of ex military.
The cynic in me thinks they like ex mil because we can cope with being F£%$&d around.
Don't know if they still do it, but I recall hearing that they used to have 3 people covering a 24 hour role i.e 8 hours each. Doesn't sound too bad until you have to cover someone on leave (2 x 12), or even long term sick.

syrup

LE
It's up to your character and what you can handle or will miss
I'm in Logistics £45k p.a. as you suggest and I love it
Pound of flesh of course but I thrive on the stress and being busy day I day out
I work shifts so get the down time in between but love when it goes mental and plans are getting ripped up and loads are getting swapped round
It's almost an addiction

Now, that little lot would be 10k a year which puts the MPGS starting salary up to 30k a year in real terms.
£20k apparently translates to about £17k after tax, then factor in your saving on bills at £8k in value and you're on £25k.

That's noticeably more than I earn (approx £23k after tax, NI and pension). Seems like a no brainer until something turns up post-COVID 19 that you are genuinely interested in.

Postie. What’s not to like? You get your phys in, no cünt to bother you and you even get a trolley to push around these days.

Thanks for the input guys.......thoughtful and informative as l expected.

The military is a world l know and am comfortable in but dont want to be stood on the gate at 3am in a few years time thinking "what if". Im also old & wise enough to know that regrets will surface whatever decision l make.

Having been in a similar position myself a couple of years ago I can offer two observations.

~45k really isn't that much money and not really reflective of middle management. At least not for the type of organisations you're talking to. I'm happily ensconced in the city and people would be expecting to hit that mark after 4 or so years as grad entrants.

I wouldn't work for Amazon if they paid me three times that. They've got a reputation for hiring from the Forces it's true but that's because they love to rinse the can-do attitude out of them before they leave, fucked, in a couple of years or less.

Actually, I've got three observations.

Don't understimate how much you'll have tonpay just to get to work when it's no longer a 5 minute bimble from the patch or the mess. That's as true of Manchester, Leeds or Edinburgh as it is of London.

I got approached by Amazon via LinkedIn despite (a) indicating that I was not available for offers and (b) not remotely having a logistics background.

lert

LE
I got approached by Amazon via LinkedIn despite (a) indicating that I was not available for offers and (b) not remotely having a logistics background.
To be fair, Amazon aren't just an online retailer. I don't have the figures to hand but AWS is a significant chunk of their global revenue and they're expanding into professional services off the back of that.

And LinkedIn recruiters work on commission. It costs them next to nothing to tap someone up on SM and sooner or later they'll make it up in referral fees for the 1 in 1000 they do actually place. All marking yourself as open seems to do is put you slightly further up their search results.

You've been sponging off the taxpayer for at least 75% of your time serving, by sitting on your arse doing fuck all productive and/or useful for most of each week. To have to earn your crust 100% of the time in the private sector will come as such a shock to your system that it will kill you.

So Amazon it is then.

UKTAP

LE
£45-50k isn't enough to go and get reamed in middle management. If you're a singly and haven't got any mortgage or kids to fund, do MPGS and get a hobby you like for your days off.

@Dan Gleebles yes stagging on is shit, but it would be an absolute gift compared to some of the cack you get in 'management'.

Latest Threads