Career course or exercise ?

Looking for a little advice.

I have recently promoted to Sgt and I know I only have a year to complete my seniors. However I've been told I can't attend the next course (which I'm loaded on) due to a regimental 6 wk exercise.

I always thought only a tour could stop you attending a career course :/

Does anyone know a JSP I could reference ? Or do I just wind my neck in.

urban_spaceman

War Hero
Are you a real Sgt or a cadet one?

The answer with 'neck' in it.

The_Snail

ADC
RIP
Looking for a little advice.

I have recently promoted to Sgt and I know I only have a year to complete my seniors. However I've been told I can't attend the next course (which I'm loaded on) due to a regimental 6 wk exercise.

I always thought only a tour could stop you attending a career course :/

Does anyone know a JSP I could reference ? Or do I just wind my neck in.
Speak to your RCMO. They'll be able to give better advice than some randoms on the internet.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
better advice than some randoms on the internet.
Better advice than from some doddery randoms whose number started 2, when the army was still an evolution of the Second World Unpleasantness, when The Manual dated back to 1955 (a very good year), whose knowledge of this particular subject is either none or a generation or two out of date.

I am sure there are stories that begin, "I was booked on a six week German Linguist course..."

The_Snail

ADC
RIP
Better advice than from some doddery randoms whose number started 2, when the army was still an evolution of the Second World Unpleasantness, when The Manual dated back to 1955 (a very good year), whose knowledge of this particular subject is either none or a generation or two out of date.

I am sure there are stories that begin, "I was booked on a six week German Linguist course..."
Go on. You know you want to...

If you are seen as vital to the exercise (and I always ask the question what would you do if he broke his leg before insisting someone is indispensable) your unit has every right to deploy you.

However, they should then inform APC that due to your commitments you need an extension to allow you to complete the course, this is not unreasonable.

If you are in a 'chippy' unit (think RLC etc) they will probably make you deploy and revert you in rank when you don't complete the course in time ^~

Nice one, see what your saying there. Hope I don't brake a leg.

I guess it's a question of "am I really needed".

Cheers mate
No issues mate, hopefully you have a decent chain of command who will look after you even if they need you to do the exercise :)

Am I missing something?

You've been promoted "before" you have passed your course?

The army gets more like civvy life everyday.

:roll:

Am I missing something?

You've been promoted "before" you have passed your course?

The army gets more like civvy life everyday.

:roll:
He's not been promoted. He's been granted Acting Rank. He'll be promoted once he successfully completes the required course.

MB

The_Snail

ADC
RIP
Problem with the chain of command is it's about what's best for the regiment, not the soldier.

Thanks for the advice.
Ask

Your

RCMO.

Shall I type it in big letters next time?

You've got a year, if you're at the start of your year then it's no biggy.

Speak to your RCMO. They will load you on to another course.

Your unit may think you're indispensable on this exercise but they run the risk of not being able to deploy you on a subsequent exercise further in to your year.

The_Snail

ADC
RIP
You've got a year, if you're at the start of your year then it's no biggy.

Speak to your RCMO. They will load you on to another course.

Your unit may think you're indispensable on this exercise but they run the risk of not being able to deploy you on a subsequent exercise further in to your year.
Do you think he should speak to his RCMO?

The_Snail

ADC
RIP
If only I'd have thought of that.

I love the way you have trust in the grown ups, like on the other thread. It really does instil me with confidence.

Latest Threads